Old 12-08-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon
Default nokia n series and the usa.

Please Login to Remove!

is it me or the n series is just never making it to a us carrier?

i'm sorta disapointed in this fact, the n97 when its to debute, looks like a sweet phone!

flash support, 32 gigs mem, etc phone looks hot! yet no us carrier carries any is it me or just nokia who dominates the market, is just left to sell like a 100 bux flip phone in the us?

Last edited by wabbit; 12-08-2008 at 09:37 PM..
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 AM   #2
bbguy2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

as BGR put it, "we all know that Nokia couldnxxx8217;t market a free space heater to an Eskimo here in the US."
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
muqtada123
No longer Registered.

Model: 8220
Carrier: T-Mobile

what do u mean
Old 02-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
muqtada123
No longer Registered.

i love nokia phones specially N series
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
muqtada123
No longer Registered.

Whats your matter that you got disappointed with N97?
Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
wabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by muqtada123 View Post
Whats your matter that you got disappointed with N97?
that it wont come to the us under att or vz
Old 03-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #7
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

The reason you will never see an N-Series phone sold by a carrier in the US is that the market does not exist. The N97 will likely cost well above $1000 when it is released. Even if a carrier subsidized that to, let's say, $500 with a contract. They still couldn't sell it.

Americans want free or extremely cheap phones. That's the bottom line. Carriers simply can't sell handsets for more than $300 on contract in this country.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
LuisT
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: Ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
The reason you will never see an N-Series phone sold by a carrier in the US is that the market does not exist. The N97 will likely cost well above $1000 when it is released. Even if a carrier subsidized that to, let's say, $500 with a contract. They still couldn't sell it.

Americans want free or extremely cheap phones. That's the bottom line. Carriers simply can't sell handsets for more than $300 on contract in this country.
Totally true. If only the N-Series was cheaper .

-Luis
Old 03-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisT View Post
Totally true. If only the N-Series was cheaper .

-Luis
Honestly, I hope they don't get any cheaper. Lower prices usually means lower quality.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:54 AM   #10
fiffer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

There are lots of quality issues with the Nokia N series. Mostly they're just about style but quality-wise and durability. Blackberry still has my vote.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 AM   #11
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

Unlocked, you will find very high costs for Blackberries and HTCs either. In fact, they're not any cheaper than the Nokia N-series. The iPhone, when sold unlocked, isn't cheap too, it should be at least 600 to 700 hundred dollars for the 8 gig.

If you got phones of competitive quality being sold for $99 or $199, against $399 or $499 or $699, its no contest.

But then again, if you bought a prepaid phone, you are free from the tyranny of the contract. If somehow, you can't pay the remainder of your contract, your credit rating isn't affected. You can go month to month, and switch carriers. There are even countries that regulate, no locked phones.

This idea is very important for Asians and Europeans. The sheer freedom of not being locked to a contract and go week by week, month to month, on prepaid cards. If they don't like the carrier, they can easily switch carriers just by changing the SIM card. Or they can easily sell the phone to someone else, get a new phone and put their old SIM on it and works just like that.

That's how Nokia gets around with all their stores in Asia and Europe. Why the best place to find phones aren't with the carriers but with independent stalls and electronic stores that display all brands of phones like they're selling TV sets or cameras.

I'm pretty sure if you are buying for example, an HTC, unlocked GSM, like the Touch HD or Diamond or Touch Pro, these phones aren't cheap. In fact they're very expensive.

At the same time, to show that you carry a phone that is perceived as expensive, is a way to flaunt your social status. There is a lot of people who buy expensive smartphones just as a social status item, and use only 10% of the functionality. Though I gather even these people would use appointments, contact management, text and email as part of those most often used functionality since socialites tend to socially network extensively. And occasionally the camera, though the TV isn't that used as well as the browser, GPS and other stuff.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-06-2009 at 02:43 AM..
Old 04-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #12
wabbit

Quote:

it would still be a nice option to carry, for people who want a high end phone. just my thought on it, i would spend 800 at att for a n series phone.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 PM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit View Post
it would still be a nice option to carry, for people who want a high end phone. just my thought on it, i would spend 800 at att for a n series phone.
I wouldn't. I'd spend it at a third party so I could get a phone with no carrier bloatware.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
CoDudette

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

Quote:

it's amazing how it works in the usa. in india, phones are not sold by carrier. most of my friends have unlocked bb's bought from different markets world over.

nokia's are some of the cheapest phones to buy, sony ericssons are expensive. Motorolas *shudder* are for the people who don't use phones for anything else except texting. *shudder*

you rarely buy phones on contracts here. its amazing how cheap they are when sold outright ;)
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
it's amazing how it works in the usa. in india, phones are not sold by carrier. most of my friends have unlocked bb's bought from different markets world over.

nokia's are some of the cheapest phones to buy, sony ericssons are expensive. Motorolas *shudder* are for the people who don't use phones for anything else except texting. *shudder*

you rarely buy phones on contracts here. its amazing how cheap they are when sold outright ;)
That's how it's done in most of Asia and the Middle East. Buying a phone is a separate process from getting service, and I tend to prefer it that way. I've bought a lot of phones in Qatar, and they have phone shops on every corner with varying prices. All unlocked, all unbranded; although until recently there was only one provider in Qatar (QTel), so this didn't make a difference. Now that Vodafone is starting up, I fear that branding and locking may come into play. I found it to be the same in Singapore and South Korea. Tons of phone shops, competitive pricing between the shops, and you usually had to go somewhere else to get your service plan.

Slightly OT, but there is a mall in Seoul where there is an entire floor several hundred square meters in size dedicated to mobile phones. Heaven for me. I can't buy any there because they are all locked to the Korean carriers and don't usually have GSM, but it is always fun to look.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #16
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

They probably read in Hangul too, so unless you can read that, those phones are of no use to you.

GSM phone shopping heavens happen in Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, and Malaysia. We're talking of phones that read and write using alphabets and use English in menus and icons.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
They probably read in Hangul too, so unless you can read that, those phones are of no use to you.

GSM phone shopping heavens happen in Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, and Malaysia. We're talking of phones that read and write using alphabets and use English in menus and icons.
Almost all Korean phones have English too, so that's no biggie.

Little India in Singapore has insane phone shops. I can't wait to visit Manila.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #18
CoDudette

you can get ANY phone you want here. and i've had fones with arabic on them too.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoDudette View Post
you can get ANY phone you want here. and i've had fones with arabic on them too.
I'm very jealous of that fact... :(

Do they have phones with Hindi? I've never seen one in all my travels.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #20
CoDudette

Quote:
I'm very jealous of that fact... :(

Do they have phones with Hindi? I've never seen one in all my travels.
Yes they do.. you can even change the script on certain nokia's whereby you can have all your features/sms etc in hindi
Closed Thread