Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
JLSchutt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Need Word, Excel and PDF Viewer on BB 8330

Please Login to Remove!

One of the things I miss the most on my new BB 8330 is the ability to view Word files and Excel spreadsheets. Documents To Go from DataViz was installed on my old Palm m500 handheld and could display such docs. The good news is the following announcement from the DataViz website: "Great news! DataViz will be launching Documents To Go Premium Edition in June 2008." The bad news is the following requirement, also from the DataViz website: "In order to install Documents To Go, you must be using an 8700 series, 8100 series (Pearl), 8300 series (Curve) or 8800 series smartphone with BlackBerry Device Software 4.5." My new BB is running version 4.3 of the software, and Verizon will not promise that they will ever go to version 4.5.

I've looked around at other alternatives. A company called DynoPlex makes two products, eOffice and MasterDoc, that sound like they might do the job, but I've seen some terrible reviews of both the products and the company while Googling around. Any suggestions on a suitable product?

One final comment: Since the Blackberry software can display Word, Excel and PDF files if they arrive as attachments to an email message, why can't it display these files themselves if they were stored separately on the device? One possibility I've considered is to email the documents I'd like to have on the BB to myself and save the messages. This seems a bit clumsy, and I hesitate to email docs which might contain sensitive information.

--Jim--
Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

If you don't require editing those documents from the handheld, consider BeamBerry, they have a trial. Docs2Go will have limited editing when it is released with OS 4.5. Greater editing abilities and document creation will required a paid version.

BeamBerry, eOffice and Docs2Go will allow viewing and editing from documents saved to the Media Card.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #3
JLSchutt

Thanks for the lead on BeamBerry. I've been perusing their website for the past few minutes, and I'm interested in their free 10-day trial. I find one thing a bit confusing, however. They mention their service, not their program, and it seems to involve their online servers. In fact, one of their FAQs implies that processing is done on their servers rather than on my Blackberry. They say, "A common reason for this is the mail server you use to receive your e-mails not allowing forwarding of e-mails with attachments. If that is the case then your document attachments never reach the BeamBerry server for processing. Please contact your mail server administrator to enable e-mail forwarding on your mail server." If I have document files stored on my Media Card, are those documents actually sent to the BeamBerry servers for processing before I can view them? I'm not sure I would want that to happen.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

eOffice from Dynopex is another option. Look at Handango.com

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
tricomwireless

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

According to my Blackberry rep that I spoke to on 5/30, when OS 4.6 for the Bold comes out they will be updated the older Blackberrys as well.

When they do this rollout, the Sprint Curve will be updated with Documents to Go, MMS & HTML emails. I didn't ask about the Verizon Curve.

I don't know what kind of deal Sprint worked out with the company that makes Documents to Go, but I know for a fact that it's included with the Palm Centro for Sprint.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
JLSchutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricomwireless View Post
According to my Blackberry rep that I spoke to on 5/30, when OS 4.6 for the Bold comes out they will be updated the older Blackberrys as well ... I didn't ask about the Verizon Curve.
If you happen to talk to the BB rep again, could you please ask about Verizon? All I could get from the Verizon phone rep I talked with was, "It runs 4.3 now and we can't talk about anything that hasn't been released."
Old 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
axel2078

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSchutt View Post
If you happen to talk to the BB rep again, could you please ask about Verizon? All I could get from the Verizon phone rep I talked with was, "It runs 4.3 now and we can't talk about anything that hasn't been released."
I'd be interested to know this as well.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSchutt View Post
If I have document files stored on my Media Card, are those documents actually sent to the BeamBerry servers for processing before I can view them? I'm not sure I would want that to happen.
For the timebeing, yes, processed via the server. BeamBerry has a new product not far from release which will open on the local device.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:37 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I would not count on the new OS, especially is you really need the capability now.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #10
RadioDude
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour

Try Repligo,iv'e had it for just about a year now and works like a charm.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
savedguy

Model: 8130
Default OS 4.5 for Verizon

Take it for what it's worth but a tech support person told me yesterday we should have it by 4th qtr.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Thanks, saved, probably slightly hopeful for CDMA devices since we've not seen hide nor hair of beta OSs for those devices.
Closed Thread