Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default blackberry trouble

Please Login to Remove!

is any one else having problems with the new 8120 from t mobile. i have had one die already. it started turning on and off on its own all the time and eventually just wouldnt turn on. now the replacement has a loose trackball that is very difficult to scroll with.

is the build quality of blackberrys in general just going down. i had a curve before this and it was like a toy

whats going on am i the only one that feels this way?

blackberrys were known for reliability which is why i got one and now they almost never work right for me,

on top of all of that why do they all seem to come with no free memory. i end up deleting half the stuff that comes on the phone just so i can use google maps

this is starting to get really annoying.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

Quote:
i had a curve before this and it was like a toy
Care to expand on that?
Old 04-26-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

sure. its build quality was terrible the keyboard was like a single connected piece. it sqeaked and moved around. the ends are all out of alignment. i still have one laying around here and the buttons on the side are not even usable anymore because the side rubber panel shifted. compared to the 8700 it feels like garbage. i have seen those thrown accross a room and nothing happened to it where as i am afraid to drop this one onto carpet.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
olly666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900

If you're looking for a rugged PDA then a BlackBerry is not for you. Sounds like you've had some bad luck with your devices. Most phone/pda releases result in the occasional "lemon", although I wouldn't say it's fair to suggest that all Curves are poorly constructed because of it. I'd suggest taking a look at your warranty and finding out what you're entitled to. Sorry you've had such a rough time.

Last edited by olly666; 04-26-2008 at 04:45 PM..
Old 04-26-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I never recommend throwing around any BlackBerry. I do have a Treo 600 that I use as a door stop.

Do you keep your BlackBerry in a case or holster, or in your pocket?
Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

i dont throw them a t mobile sales person threw it and it survived

maybe i just have bad luck or something but mine never work right i have too pull the battery about once a day at least.

i liked my original pearl the best but even it had its issues.

i am now on my second 8120 because the first one died

i keep it in my pocket i dont like holsters and i havent found a case i like
Old 04-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Or maybe it simply isn't built for a pocket. Just a thought.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

how would keeping it in a pocket affect anything other then the trackball?

my first pearl's trackball stopped working most likely from keeping it in my pocket but the second was fine even in my pocket
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I am just pointing out that you are having an unusual amount of problems with a BlackBerry. Most people never have to replace them...

Flip phones work very well in pockets. Candy bar phones or phones with raised keys do not. They tend to get bumped into and lint in the trackball is a serious issue.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Technocracy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

scg, replacement phones may not be brand new. Most are returned or refurbished units. Some may not have been refurbished (it is possible).

If your phone warranty has not expired, by all means make a claim.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:27 AM   #11
istracpsboss

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

I've been very disappointed with my Pearl. It is my first BB and I had high hopes for it. I still find it difficult to find many numbers listed in it and I find working out which icon is which in any sort of bright light almost impossible, as the icons are so small and almost need a magnifying glass. Operation of it overall seems very quirky when compared to other phones and computers.
The latest problem is that the trackball is malfunctioning and only seems to work laterally, which is making it pretty useless except for incoming calls. It is only 3mths old and is kept in the stout leather pocket case that came with it and I'm always careful to put it the right way round in the case, as one side accomodates the protruding track ball. (Why they supply this pocket case rather than a normal belt case I don't know. It's a nuisance getting it out of a pocket when it rings, particularly with jeans and often stops before you can get it out!). I haven't dropped it, so I'm surprised at the trackball failing, particularly in such a short period.

Is the trackball easily repairable, please, as I'm loathe to part with it for possibly days if I return it to the telecom company who supplied it, as they will probably want to return it to a central service facility before either fixing or replacing it. There is a lot of information on it that I don't want to lose or be without and the number is the one on all our advertising.
If it is easily fixed, I'd rather just do it myself. I've no shortage of miniature tools from various hobbies and I always used to build my own computers.
I really would be grateful for any suggestions.
Sorry for the rant, but this BB has fallen a long way short of expectations.

Cheers

Peter
Old 07-14-2008, 06:35 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Peter, for the trackball... press firmly and roll the trackball in the direction it does not want to roll...

Do you carry your BB in your pocket? Try a holster or case.

Good luck.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #13
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page

keeping it in your pocket not in the pouch gets like an inch of lint and crap underneath the trackball, and if something hits the phone it could break it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
istracpsboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Peter, for the trackball... press firmly and roll the trackball in the direction it does not want to roll...

Do you carry your BB in your pocket? Try a holster or case.

Good luck.
Thank you for that! I pressed much more firmly than usual and it worked.

I always keep it in a stiff leather case that came with it. That then goes in my pocket. I was surprised that it came with a case that didn't clip on my belt, as normal cell phones do. The case is about 25% bigger than the BB and is somewhat bulky for a pocket, but I can see the need to protect the BB so I always keep it in it. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any belt holsters for them here in Croatia. I can get ones for every other make of phone easily, just not BBs. BBs are widely available here but they come complete with a kit of standard pocket case and earphone. You don't see the range of other accessories shown on the website.

Cheers

Peter
Old 07-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #15
kennethmurrell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

The thing to get is the lambskin holster manufactured by blackberry. It works great for me. Plus it saves on battery life because as soon as you put it in the backlight shuts off and that way you can also use your "in holster" settings in profiles.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #16
istracpsboss

Hi Kenneth
The pocket case I've got works like that, too, though I'd much prefer a holster.

Cheers
Closed Thread