Old 06-18-2007, 12:56 AM   #1
Dream Rider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Curve Calendar Sync Problems

Please Login to Remove!

My Curve will not sync the handheld entries in the calendar back to Outlook. From Outlook to the hand held no problem. Additionally I get double entries when I sync. My unit lists 0 entries for the calendar even though I have many. I have tried the "work around" but was unsucsessful. I shouldn't need to use a work around on a new device. On top of that I paid full retail. I don't use the email or data features, only use the Curve to sync 3 different computers to one location on my hand held. I like the size and feel and features of the Curve over my 8800. I'm ready to return the phone but don't know if I should try another.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2007, 02:13 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

It's a known issue on the 8300 and the 8830. I don't know that a definite fix has been found yet.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Rider View Post
My Curve will not sync the handheld entries in the calendar back to Outlook. From Outlook to the hand held no problem. Additionally I get double entries when I sync. My unit lists 0 entries for the calendar even though I have many. I have tried the "work around" but was unsucsessful. I shouldn't need to use a work around on a new device. On top of that I paid full retail. I don't use the email or data features, only use the Curve to sync 3 different computers to one location on my hand held. I like the size and feel and features of the Curve over my 8800. I'm ready to return the phone but don't know if I should try another.

Any thoughts?
I'm seeing the same problem, although I'm only synching one PC. I've tested both with and without the calendar service books loaded and get the same result. Searching the RIM support site implies this only happens in BES environments, but I'm on BIS. Looking at the synch log shows Intellisync is sending the entire calendar to the 8300 each time you synch, while notes, contacts and tasks are synchronized. The Intellisync configuration is set to synch, not import or export. Looks like a problem with Intellisync...either how it analyzes the data in the two calendar databases or it has a problem reading it's own config options. It could also be a problem with the BB software in that it reports "0" entries in the calendar DB
Additionally, using selective backup/restore does not let you clear the calendar, probably because the unit thinks it already has "0" records.

Has anyone seen this issue in a BES environment?

Last edited by BeachBumSteve; 06-18-2007 at 08:37 AM..
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Crupp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 249e66f1

I am seeing this on my 8300 on a Corporate BES. It seems when to happen when I am doing calendar invites
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Dream Rider
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8220
Thumbs down Returned my Curve

I went back to the AT&T store POS and tried another Curve. After entering two appointments in the calendar the other phone also reported 0 entries. Returned my curve for a refund. I'm going to try another store to see if a differnt batch of phone might not have the same problem, but I'm not really to optimistic.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
steve.1207

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmo
Default RIM aware of Calendar Sync and Alarm Notification Issues

Spoke with Blackberry Support. They are aware of Calendar Sync and Alarm Notification issues.

New fix is in works. Should be out relatively soon.

Would do no good to exchange phones with AT&T.

Temporary fix for Calander Alarm Nnotifications is to:

Go to: Menu>Advanced Options>Service Book and delete all e-mails with CICAL.

This will fix (1)problem for now.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #7
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint and ATT

My related issue is that after calendar sync'ed up, in a subsequent sync, earlier appointments were wiped out on the BB, and it wanted to erase those on my laptop Outlook.

If it wasn't I had the Intellisync set to alert before sync, I would have appointment history all wiped out.

For now, whenever it alerts saying it has a large amount of appointments to update from BB to Outlook, I always click on Re-sync, and reapply all the old appointments back again to the BB unit from Outlook.

Aggravating, and I'm thinking of returning the Curve because I've been told sometimes email senders to me get a bounceback non-deliverable message after they sent me an email.

I still have the Pearl, locked on Tmo before I ported over to ATT. I do have better reception now, but maybe I should get a Pearl on the ATT network.

More thinking before my 30day returnable period is over.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
ravshaya

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular
Unhappy

I spent two hours on the phone with Blackberry on Monday and another hour on the phone today with Blackberry and Cingular. They had NOTHING to offer that solved the problem -- if I synch my (BRAND NEW!) 8300 with my Outlook, all Outlook appts are imported to BB (even if they are already there) producing multiple entries of the same appt., and the appts that were entered in the BB do NOT make their way back to Outlook.

Yes, they have known about the problem. Yes, they are working on a solution. No, they don't know when it will be available.

I am really amazed that such a basic flaw exists. I am even more amazed that three weeks after the Curve has been released with so much fanfare, there is still no solution.

It is very likely that I will be returning my 8300 to ATT for a refund -- I moved from a PDA to the BB to improve my productivity. Having no calendar synching ability is paralyzing. I am a little surprised that the reaction from customers has been relatively muted. Or does this only happen with some units? If I exchange my unit for a new one, is it likely the problem will not recur?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #9
lark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravshaya View Post
I spent two hours on the phone with Blackberry on Monday and another hour on the phone today with Blackberry and Cingular. They had NOTHING to offer that solved the problem -- if I synch my (BRAND NEW!) 8300 with my Outlook, all Outlook appts are imported to BB (even if they are already there) producing multiple entries of the same appt., and the appts that were entered in the BB do NOT make their way back to Outlook.

Yes, they have known about the problem. Yes, they are working on a solution. No, they don't know when it will be available.

I am really amazed that such a basic flaw exists. I am even more amazed that three weeks after the Curve has been released with so much fanfare, there is still no solution.

It is very likely that I will be returning my 8300 to ATT for a refund -- I moved from a PDA to the BB to improve my productivity. Having no calendar synching ability is paralyzing. I am a little surprised that the reaction from customers has been relatively muted. Or does this only happen with some units? If I exchange my unit for a new one, is it likely the problem will not recur?
I am having the exact same problem, and feel as you do. How could they let this unit out with such a fundamental flaw? I am in the process of wiping my 8300 to bring it back.

I was told by RIM that they feel ALL 8300's synching through USB and using BIS will have this problem. Still, I am tempted to try another 8300 to confirm this. I do like the 8300, but if I wanted a high strung handheld, I would have stayed with WM.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

I had all the calendar synch/notification issues too. with all the duplicates.
I am on BES and BIS accounts.

Yesterday I gave up, wiped, and used the desktop manager to reset the encryption, and it re-activated to my BES, and voila, evreything works now.
I had done the Activation over the Air before.

Last edited by sdetweil; 06-20-2007 at 06:52 AM..
Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
o2mpx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Sprint and ATT

Just exchanged the unit for a new one.

Will sync up with Outlook tomorrow. I'm on BIS.

The problem I had was 2fold:

1. randomly sometimes emails sent to me will bounceback a non-delivery message to the sender, except, I did receive the mail. So I was getting duplicate mail as the senders didn't think I received the 1st one

2. after syncing up calendar with Outlook, randomly where I want to sync again, sometimes old appointments disappeared from the BB, tricking DM thinking it should wipe out the appointments on the PC. If I re-sync, these appointments will go into the BB, except a while later, they'll disappear and the whole process begins again.

3. randomly I get error dialog boxes on the screen, don't remember what it said, but it's random.

If this doesn't work, I may go back to Tmo with my pearl.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 AM   #12
lark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yesterday I went to return my 8300 because of the calendar issues. The issue I had was DM wanting to delete calendar entries in Outlook. I

In my research I read that there should be an option in Calendar/Options that allows the user to determine how long entries are kept. On the first 8300, I did not even have this option. On the new 8300, that option is available. I have selected "Forvever," as suggested by another user on this forum. I have done multiple synchs, and seem to be having no calendar problems with the new unit.

A couple of other notes:
1. RIM support told me that only 8300's synching through USB and on BIS had the calendar issue and that the problem was on every 8300 running this configuration;

2. RIM support told me the "Forever" option was only available if you are on BES. (This does not appear to be true, since I have the option on BIS);

3. The entries listed in calendar options is now consistent with Outlook. Before exchanging my 8300, the number of entries would always stay at 125.

4. I was not having duplicate entry issues;

5. With the new unit, I used the CD that came in the box rather than the download version of DM that I had used for the first and second install.

6. Again, after reading on this forum and others, I exchanged my 8300 made in Mexico for one made in Canada. I have no idea if this matters or not, but there was a thread about where the units were made, and a poll about the same.

7. I still have the plastic cover on the screen, so maybe I am not 100% confident the device will actually continue to work.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #13
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers

just spoke with RIM and it is a KNOWN ISSUE!

KB13419
KB13420

lovely how they don't test out basic functionality like this prior to product release!!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #14
harry0805
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
2. RIM support told me the "Forever" option was only available if you are on BES. (This does not appear to be true, since I have the option on BIS);

3. The entries listed in calendar options is now consistent with Outlook. Before exchanging my 8300, the number of entries would always stay at 125.

6. Again, after reading on this forum and others, I exchanged my 8300 made in Mexico for one made in Canada. I have no idea if this matters or not, but there was a thread about where the units were made, and a poll about the same.
RE #2: What is the exact text that's used for the forever option? Keep entries?
RE #3: Was this always reading "0" before you returned the unit? Mine reads "0", although I have 304 entries.
re #6: How can you verify if the unit was made in MX or CA?

Thanks for posting this info...
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #15
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZW

As a new user to BB I am impressed that this little thing could slip by them. Not sure why however this is happening on the 8830 too. Same base software I assume. So the fix I have heard 100 times is remove the CICAL for all personal email accounts if using BIS.

C
Old 06-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #16
harry0805

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw5510 View Post
As a new user to BB I am impressed that this little thing could slip by them. Not sure why however this is happening on the 8830 too. Same base software I assume. So the fix I have heard 100 times is remove the CICAL for all personal email accounts if using BIS.

C
I'm on BIS and I removed my only entry for "CICAL" (1 out of 6) but it did not work. All my other email accts read "CMIME". Is everyone else (s) listed the same?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:01 AM   #17
lark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry0805 View Post
RE #2: What is the exact text that's used for the forever option? Keep entries?
RE #3: Was this always reading "0" before you returned the unit? Mine reads "0", although I have 304 entries.
re #6: How can you verify if the unit was made in MX or CA?

Thanks for posting this info...
Harry,

RE#2: The title of the Option menu is "Keep Appointments." The exact text options are : Forever, 90 days, 60 days, 30 days, 15 days. The Option is the third from the bottom, between "Show Tasks" and "Show end time in Agenda View."

On my prior 8300, I did not have this option listed at all.

RE#3 No, my entries were never listed at 0. They would default to 125.

RE#6 On the side of the box in which the 8300 came, under all the bar codes, it will state where it was made.

Hope this helps. My feeling is that if your 8300 is having this problem, it is not fixable on that device. Try and exchange for a new one.

I am glad I decided to exchange for another 8300 and try again. However, if it happens again, I am going to the 8800.

Last edited by lark; 06-20-2007 at 09:02 AM..
Old 06-20-2007, 09:05 AM   #18
harry0805

Quote:
Originally Posted by lark View Post
Harry,

RE#2: The title of the Option menu is "Keep Appointments." The exact text options are : Forever, 90 days, 60 days, 30 days, 15 days. The Option is the third from the bottom, between "Show Tasks" and "Show end time in Agenda View."

On my prior 8300, I did not have this option listed at all.

RE#3 No, my entries were never listed at 0. They would default to 125.

RE#6 On the side of the box in which the 8300 came, under all the bar codes, it will state where it was made.

Hope this helps. My feeling is that if your 8300 is having this problem, it is not fixable on that device. Try and exchange for a new one.

I am glad I decided to exchange for another 8300 and try again. However, if it happens again, I am going to the 8800.

Thx again! I will contact AT&T for a swap.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #19
mshykind

Model: 8700

I should have read these threads first. I upgraded my 8700 to an 8300 today for the camera, and every time I tried to sync via USB (I'm on BIS, not BES), it wanted to reload all of my calendar entries.

Like everybody else, I called AT&T..who knew nothing, and they patched me through to RIM directly. The 8300 and the 8830 have this same issue, and they said they've released the fix to the carriers, but we have to wait until AT&T finishes their testing on the patch before they post it on their website.

RIM told me that there was no fix to this now, so I took it back and I figured I'd wait until the fix comes out before I repurchase one.

Side note: I took the advice of another thread and told them that Amazon had the phone for $45, and since my contract was almost up, they sold me a new Curve for $200, with a $100 rebate, then gave me a $55 credit towards accessories (which I promptly used for a case and a 2GB Micro SD card). I did this a AT&T store (not a reseller store), and they were fine with it after a little "nudging". Needless to say, I wasn't happy returning my $45 Curve...but I don't know how long it will take to get that fix out, so I figured I'd wait until it came out.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-...light=calendar
Closed Thread