Old 01-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default "No Songs" in media player after transfer to card

Please Login to Remove!

On my Bold, I used WinExplorer to transfer a dozen song files to my 8G media card. I can see the device drive in Explorer; the songs are there, in the "music" folder, but in the device, the media player, I get "no songs" under all songs, as if the device was not reading the card. Media Card support is "on," Encryption "off," mass storage support "on." However, under media card the total space 7.3GB and free space are the same. I'm doing something basic wrong here. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE. Just figured out the problem, I think. Songs are in .cda format. BB won't play that, right???

Last edited by mnorman; 01-08-2009 at 10:46 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Tommy2125
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 216AF4A7
Carrier: Rogers

Ah, Maybe is in your Bold 1G memory...i don't know sry this never happen to me
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
Katharina
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: t-mobile

I have the same since firmware version 162. still have it with 190, I am thinking about upgrading to 162 to see if thats still a problem. some of my mp3s don't show up although they are definitely on the card.
The only way to solve that is to create playlists. if you choose a folder and say "add to playlist" all the songs show up, thats how I get to hear all songs of an artist. really annoying though

I don't think that any player can play cda files without the actuall link to the "real" song, you have to convert the songs to a playable format like mp3, aac, wav etc

Last edited by Katharina; 01-09-2009 at 10:20 AM..
Old 01-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
mnorman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Katherina is right. CDA is not really a file format so much as its an data index. You have to "rip" all commercial albums to your PC/MAC HD. The Bold supports a number of audio formats, including the new M4A. Learned all this trying to transfer music from a CD to the BB, which can't do directly. And you're right about the display lists too. Something in the software that wants playlists. Didn't know that Windows Media Player 11 allows you to sync directly with the BB. That was new to me. Plug in your BB, start WMP and a sync dialog comes up automatically. Also didn't realize that Desktop Manager is essentially useless when it comes to transferring files unless you A) what the Roxio bloatware or the MediaSync, which requires you to install iTunes, which is not a bad program. Note to RIM, if it's listening: How about putting your programmers to work on a better Desktop, one that does not shell out to other apps to get its multi-media work done. Thanks all who responded here.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
Katharina
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: t-mobile

if you use itunes, you can also export/import the playlists
quite useful...
Closed Thread