Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:01 PM   #21
Graig

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpfeffer
I've had a couple reports of instances where reconcile now is no longer listed in the menu when you bring it up under messages. Why would it dissappear? Anyone have an idea?
Reconcile is only an option when there is something to reconcile. Delete a message and the "Reconcile" will appear.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:52 PM   #22
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graig
Reconcile is only an option when there is something to reconcile. Delete a message and the "Reconcile" will appear.
Incorrect -- it depends on the Berry OS...

1) In 4.0x and I believe some versions of 3.8x, the manual "reconcile" option appears on the menu at all times, regardless of the message status. It can be performed at will...

2) When you are having issue with mail reconciliation, the following things need to be checked...

* Message window\options\E-Mail reconciliation -- set for "Delete on Mailbox and Handheld " & "Server wins"

* DO NOT EVER DELETE FROM YOUR DELETED ITEMS IN OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE MAIL CLIENT. If you do, mail in your deleted items will not reconcile on the handheld, they will stay in your handheld message window. Many people have the option set to "Empty deleted items on exit" in Outlook. This is incompatible with the BlackBerry.

* If your exchange mail server is on a WAN and the outlook client is somewhere on that WAN but not local to the mail server, delays can take a few minutes or more to reconcile.

We have about 30 users on Berry's and we have seen these issues from time to time, but were usually able to resolve them using the above steps.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 10-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #23
meHanni
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-mobile

"I found that if you do the following it will sync:

Open mail icon
select message (any one)
Scroll down to Options and select
Select Email Reconciliation
Select the Delete on field
Select Change Option
Change it to Mailbox & Handheld"

Should this also work on a Domino server setup with BES 4.0? I've had a request for emails to be deleted off the PC mailbox when being deleted off the handheld, and my test so far has not worked....any suggestions?

thansk
Hanni
Old 10-25-2005, 09:39 PM   #24
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
Merlin, go to Messages on your handheld then to Options then to Email Reconciliation. Make sure it has Mailbox & Handheld (I think).
If it was not set to Mailbox & Handheld then merlin would have the exact opposite problem. With Wireless E-mail Rec on it will delete from the BlackBerry as long as it's soft deleted from Outlook. The Mailbox & Handheld option is for when you want changes made on the BlackBerry to be reflected in Outlook.

The comments about Server Wins likely aren't valid as that's in the event of a conflict which it's pretty unlikely you'd have.

My recommendation to eliminate the handheld side is to get the RefId of the message (Alt-View while in the message), delete the message and perform a Reconcile Now. You can now use the RefId to search the BlackBerry Server logs to see what is happening when that Delete request comes in.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 PM   #25
BBTechGuy

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oedenfield
We have a 7290 BB with Exchange server and BES. When we delete a message or move one into the Inbox in Outlook, even right after message reconciliation the changes do not reflect on the handheld. Also when this user replies to messages overnight and deletes messages via the handheld, the changes are not reflected in Outlook.

Since both the handheld and Outlook communicate with the Exchange server, why do we even need to reconcile/sync messages anyway? I would expect Outlook to work the way it always has, when a message comes into the inbox on the server, the change is reflected on the user’s Outlook Inbox; and when a new message comes into the inbox on the server the new message is pushed to the BB handheld. When a message changes (read/unread status, deletion, etc.) those changes are stored on the Exchange server, and therefore should instantly (or the next time the handheld/Outlook client is communicated to from the server) be made in both places.

I am still learning how the BlackBerrys work so please correct me where I may be wrong. Thank you.

Orrin
This is incorrect. The only mechanism that the BlackBerry Server/device use for handling read/unread and delete status is through wired or wireless e-mail reconciliation. The exception is if you Reply to or Forward a message from the BlackBerry then it updates as such in Exchange independent of the e-mail rec process.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:40 AM   #26
ChrisHolak

Model: 7250

I had a couple users whose email reconciliation options disappered, along with the send option. This has worked with my users.

Step 1. Re-activate Blackberry by dialing *22899
Step 2. Scroll to options on Blackberry and select “Host Routing Tables”
Step 3. Select the default table and resend message.
Step 4. Remove and replace battery on Blackberry device.
Step 5. Send test message

After you do this, make sure you go back and verify that delete on mailbox and handheld is set.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #27
bbgirlnyc

Default Reconcilation problems with BES wireless hosting

I have read this thread with interest, because I'm having a similar problem myself. I used to be a corporate Blackberry user running 3.6, but was recently laid off; I ended up purchasing my own Blackberry (a 7250) and signing up for wireless BES hosting (running 4.0, with XP and Outlook 2003 on my desktop at home). I'm finding consistent problems with email reconcilation, usually from Outlook to the handheld.

When I first signed up for the hosting service (about 2 weeks ago), I found that the reconcilation was very spotty, but no one at the hosting service or RIM could explain why. (When we did live tests, it was often quite slow, but it did work.) I resorted to doing a Reconcile Now from the handheld every time I deleted messages from the desktop, and found this did work--as long as the Blackberry was turned on, and as long as it was the same day. (Reconcile Now only seems to work on the same day's messages--older ones are not touched.)

But the real problem seems to arise when the Blackberry is off overnight. (To conserve battery life, I have it set to go off at 6 pm and turn on at 6 am.) I often do my deletions from the desktop at night, after the handheld has shut off, but the next morning I find that there are always a few emails that don't get deleted off the Blackberry. As I noted above, Reconcile Now has no effect on these overnight deletions.

We have checked and rechecked all my settings (Wireless Reconcile on, delete on Mailbox and Handheld, Handheld Wins) ad nauseam, and I never empty my Deleted Items folder, yet this problem continues to occur. Is there a way to fix it without leaving my Blackberry turned on all night? It is driving me (and my hosting provider) crazy.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #28
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHolak
I had a couple users whose email reconciliation options disappered, along with the send option. This has worked with my users.

Step 1. Re-activate Blackberry by dialing *22899
Step 2. Scroll to options on Blackberry and select “Host Routing Tables”
Step 3. Select the default table and resend message.
Step 4. Remove and replace battery on Blackberry device.
Step 5. Send test message

After you do this, make sure you go back and verify that delete on mailbox and handheld is set.
Dialing *22899??? What the heck is that and what does that do? Where did you see this in the documentation? I tried to dial that and got a "we can't complete the call as dialed" messge...I am very curious Chris...please explain.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:06 PM   #29
ahutchis

Model: 8700c

I was having an issue were deleted emails on either outlook or the BB were not updating with the other. Here is the fix that I found

Open mail icon
Tap Scroll Wheel to open menu
Scroll Down to Email Reconciliation and Select
For Message Services: make sure it says Desktop and not Web Client
Delete on: make sure it says Mailbox & Handheld
Wireless Reconcile: make sure it says On
On Conflicts: make sure it says Mailbox Wins

Send two test messages to yourself. Delete 1 from the handheld and then select reconcile now from the handheld. It will delete from your outlook client.
Delete message 2 from your outlook and then go to the handheld and select reconcile now and it will delete from your handheld.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:22 AM   #30
JoveroC

Carrier: Nextel and Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Dialing *22899??? What the heck is that and what does that do? Where did you see this in the documentation? I tried to dial that and got a "we can't complete the call as dialed" messge...I am very curious Chris...please explain.
*22899 is an activation code for Verizon Wireless blackberries. So if you don't have one I would disregard this.
Old 01-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #31
elchu

Model: 7100G
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahutchis
I was having an issue were deleted emails on either outlook or the BB were not updating with the other. Here is the fix that I found

Open mail icon
Tap Scroll Wheel to open menu
Scroll Down to Email Reconciliation and Select
For Message Services: make sure it says Desktop and not Web Client
Delete on: make sure it says Mailbox & Handheld
Wireless Reconcile: make sure it says On
On Conflicts: make sure it says Mailbox Wins

Send two test messages to yourself. Delete 1 from the handheld and then select reconcile now from the handheld. It will delete from your outlook client.
Delete message 2 from your outlook and then go to the handheld and select reconcile now and it will delete from your handheld.
I have been told this by our IT manager. But my blackberry does not show the Message Services option. Is it a OS version problem? I have 4.0.0

So deletes in BB update Outlook but not the other way around
Old 01-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #32
jmanford
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchu
I have been told this by our IT manager. But my blackberry does not show the Message Services option. Is it a OS version problem? I have 4.0.0

So deletes in BB update Outlook but not the other way around
It is an OS version problem on your Blackberry. Update to the latest version. I had this same problem and I was already using the latest version. It was an upgrade that I did that corrupted something. I reinstalled the software on the Berry and more options appeared
Old 02-03-2006, 02:18 AM   #33
userinterface

Model: 7520

Okay... heres how it works.

If items deleted on the Blackberry device get deleted in Outlook. This means that wireless reconciliation is working. Hold on.... I know what you're thinking...

Here's the deal with making it work the other way around...
(from Outlook to the Blackberry device)

If you empty the "Deleted Items" in Outlook before a wireless reconciliation takes place then the e-mail messages deleted in Outlook will never be automatically deleted on the Blackberry device. They are gone and no longer within the Microsoft Exchange Information Store.

So, how do I ensure that items deleted from Outlook get deleted on the Blackberry?
* DO NOT PERMANENTLY DELETE or EMPTY YOUR DELETED ITEMS IN the OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE MAIL CLIENT until wireless reconciliation has taken place...
If you do, mail in your deleted items will not reconcile on the handheld, they will stay in your handheld device message window. Many people have the option set to "Empty deleted items on exit" in Outlook.
If you do have this option checked, make sure you force a wirless reconciliation before you exit Oulook if you want the items to be deleted on the handheld.

What is the bottom line?
For items to be deleted on the Blackberry device when they are deleted within Outlook they must be in the Outlook "Deleted Items" folder.

Want a sure fire way to test this?
Send yourself a test e-mail message
The message shows up in your Outlook and on your Blackberry.
Now delete the message in Outlook so that it goes into your Deleted Items.
(Do not hold the shift key while pressing the delete key or you will permanently delete the message and therfore bypassing the "Deleted Items."
Wireless reconciliation happens about once every 20 - 30 minutes OR whenever you add, modify, or delete a Calendar, Task, or Address item.
You can always initiate a wireless reconciliation from your Blackberry by pressing the the track wheel while in the message section and selecting "Reconcile Now.

Okay, I get it... but when should I empty the "Deleted Items" in Outlook that I want to go away?
You can empty the deleted items whenever you want.
You can also do it wirelessly from the Blackberry device.
To do this first initiate a wireless reconciliation to ensure that any items in the "Deleted Items" get deleted on your handheld now (by pressing the the track wheel while in the message section and selecting "Reconcile Now. )

As soon as the reconciliation takes place (usually a few seconds) do the following:
Press the track wheel while in the message section and select "Options."
Now scroll down to "Email Reconciliation" and press the track wheel again.
You will see an option that says "Purge Deleted Items." Choose this option.
The Blackberry will prompt you to select "which service to purge deleted items for? DESKTOP or WEB Client
Choose DESKTOP and when it prompts you to find out if you are sure you want to PERMANENTLY remove any items from your deleted items folder on your desktop select YES. (by the way... Make sure you really want to do this because once you delete these they are gone.... or at lease very expensive to recover...)

As soon as you do this the Blackberry device sends a command to the BES server which in turn instructs Exchange to "take out the trash..."

I hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 AM   #34
besadmin23

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

userinterface speaks the gospel. I can pretty much guarentee that this is the problem or some variation of the problem that all above are having. The deletes with a shift are known as "Hard Deletes" RIM has specifically acknowleged that they DO NOT process hard deletes. Another way you will create a hard delete is if you drag or move an item from your exchange inbox to a local folder. This message will never go to the deleted items folder therefore it is effectively a hard delete. GOOD NEWS BES 4.1 that is coming WILL process hard deletes, this will make many of us happy. Good luck and re-read userinterfaces post if there is any confusion.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #35
roux

Model: 8700C
Carrier: Cingular

I have one user who must select "reconcile now" in order to reconcile deleted messages. I'm at the point that I'm considering a wipe and reactivate. I have all of the other options correct on the BB, Email Reconciliation/ Delete on Mailbox and BB / Wireless Reconcile on / Mailbox wins.

Anyone have an idea.

Using BES 4.0 and 8700c.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:21 PM   #36
Kablooey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: 25ee2d53
Carrier: AT&T and Verizon 9650

How long are you waiting? It can take between 5-20 minutes to reconcile automatically.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #37
kingofblackberry

Model: 7100t
Default solution: upgrade to 4.1

BES 4.1 supports this feature beautifully. Outsourcing provider ASP-One.com Exchange Hosting: Options already supports this as part of thier Exchange Hosting with blackberry mobile service. you may want to check it out.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #38
Owings Mills Alex

We are experiencing the same issue. We just upgraded our BES 4.1 to SP1; we're using GW 6.65 with our BES but all desktops are on 7.0 connected to 7.0 GW servers.

Our BES keeps reseting the "Delete On" preference from Prompt to Handheld. Does anyone know how we can fix this on the BES? Is there an IT Policy we can change or a setting we should modify?

Also, any word on when SP2 will be out for the BES for GroupWise?

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 07:06 PM   #39
john conlon

Model: 7130g
Thumbs down John conlon

I have bought an Orange 7130g Blackberry phone in Cambridge, UK, to use with my private e-mail address provided by BT Yahoo (not Outlook etc).

I downloaded the desktop manager on to a laptop successfully and the wireless connection is allowing me to receive e-mails on the laptop and Blackberry, BUT I cannot get e-mail deletion to synchronise and it is very frustrating.

Can anyone tell me in simple terms where I might have gone wrong or what to do about it? Thanks
Closed Thread