Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Q10 Missing Features

Please Login to Remove!

I'm loving my Q10. Needless to say, this ain't your old BlackBerry. Perhaps my adjustment is easier because I have not been using a BlackBerry for almost two years, having knuckled under my desire to find something even better (an unending quest for me). First it was the Palm Pre and my mania for an ever better mobile experience was strong enough to convince me to port my service to Sprint just to get it. Two loser decisions stacked on top of each other! A flirtation with Android ended when I succumbed to Cupertino's Reality Distortion Field and bought an iPhone 4S. Seemed like the thing to do since I'm a life long Mac user. But now I'm back with a BlackBerry and I have Verizon as a provider. Boo-yah!

So what features do folks think the Q10 is missing? Glaring omissions or minor annoyances, list 'em all. Here's a couple things I'd like to see:

1. Keyboard shortcuts. Man, I really miss those! Changing the profile from Normal to Silent with a single key press from the home screen was great. Opening an app with a key press was also great.

2. The ability to have my BlackBerry wake upon receiving a new message. In the absence of a keyboard shortcut to turn the screen on, having to press the power button on top is a minor annoyance.

3. Smarter contact entry. When the cursor is in the zip code field the Alt key should be activated by default. BB10 already does this when the cursor is in the phone number field. If your selected default language is English then chances are the zip codes you enter will be all numbers. In my case, over 95% of my contacts are domestic. For the few international contacts I have I can put up with using the Alt key manually in the zip code field to enter letters for Canadian addresses.

One of the things I loved most about using BlackBerrys (which I did for 10+ years before trying other platforms) was the efficiency you could attain with a purpose-driven design and shortcuts. I'm not a gamer or an app hound. What I crave is having a mobile device that works with me, the way I work, and makes communicating easier and more efficient. My three feature requests are seemingly minor things but they would improve my user experience and make me more efficient.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Default Re: Q10 Missing Features

S P E E D D I A L
Old 07-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I'd also like to see a quick scrolling method for Contacts. Something that lets you jump to your "C" contacts, then "D", etc. If you do a contacts search for "d" you get every contact with that letter in it.

And while we're talking contacts, whatup with disappearing contacts? It's still happening to me even with all social contacts inactive. I'm only syncing with iCloud. Although it borks the linkage to the iCloud servers every couple days I only have to re-enter my password in the iCloud Contacts account to restore functionality. I can live with that. After the poochscrew with phantom linking of unrelated contacts I decided to wipe/restore with only a single source for my contacts (iCloud) and it seemed to eliminate the linking issue.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
ep8703
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

don't have the Q10 yet had to return it looking forward to getting it see if these work
http://crackberry.com/full-list-blac...-q10-shortcuts

Last edited by ep8703; 07-10-2013 at 08:33 PM..
Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ep8703 View Post
don't have the Q10 yet had to return it looking forward to getting it see if these work
The full list of BlackBerry Q10 keyboard shortcuts | CrackBerry.com
I notice there are no shortcuts for Contacts. I'm also noticing there are no groups in Contacts. How did Contacts groups get axes??? If I want to email my fellow board members in the club to which I belong there is no easy way but to hunt down the individual contacts and add them one by one to the email. That blows.
Closed Thread