BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:27 PM   #21
No Longer Registered.

Please Login to Remove!

Isn't etiquette created by society to tell us what is accepted and appropriate behaviour in public?

Like c'mon.... who is to tell us no to Bluetooth? This one sounds like this person is referring to the bluetooth headset only? It amazes me how non-techie people refer the "bluetooth" as the bluetooth headset. Like hello, it's technology not some name of a device. Okay serious, I'm sounding like so girly now.

So for ladies like me, here's my version of AskWomen!

. when in elevator and no cute guys - use BlackBerry to check messages instead of staring at the floor level display.

. when you see an eye-candy, make eye contact - otherwise use BlackBerry to avoid any undesirable interaction.

. when going out, never leave blackberry behind - you might need to map your location to figure out how to get away from your aweful date.. hehe

. Always show it off - if they don't appreciate your gadget, chances are they won't appreciate your other interest too. (shopping excluded)

. Always have different profiles for different occassion. Zelda Melody or any zelda or gamers theme for dating younger guys .. and other profiles for other age bracket. <--- now this one I like (awesome conversation starter).

Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Priceless! I love it! Thanks catty! Gave me something to show to my wife!
Old 01-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
No Longer Registered.

You are very welcome John...

I think I can do an AskMarriedWoman version for your wife..

Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #24
Alxcab
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

The only one I sort of agree with is the bluetooth headseat. . . ONLY IN THE CAR PEOPLE! Or if you have a hectic schedule where you have to be on the a call while you're at home as previously mentioned.

I hate the guy who wears it while taking a call at the grocery store while shopping or just walking around. Its not that hard to pick up the phone and put it up to your ear! Looks like a big plastic roach on the side of your face anyways.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:37 AM   #25
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

The only one of these rules that I have ever abided by is the subtle ringtones one. I'm in meetings all day long at work, so I keep it on vibe. Other than that, I'm a chronic violator of all of them.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:45 AM   #26
ShaneToronto
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8300r
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

One way to get y;our significant other to stop complaining about your constant use of your device is to get him/her their own. That's what I did and now we both sport 8700s without a peep of criticism about my blackberry (over)use.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #27
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

How am I going to figure out my tip amount at the restaurant's table if I don't have my tip buddy?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:30 PM   #28
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

Uh-oh... At the risk of being "un-nerdly", I'm going to wade in.

WHAT IS IT with you people...?? I've read this post and many others on this board where you talk about not being able to leave your "unit" alone, or you choose who you want to date by the type of blackberry they have etc...

All I can say is GET A LIFE!!! Geezzz people... Go outside and play a game of basketball, walk your dog or something, you DO know where "outside" is, don't you? Leave the "dingleberry" behind. Guess what, life will go on, and all your email will STILL be there when you get back. The fact that you took more than your usual 12.3 seconds to open, and respond to an email will not matter in the least.

I tend to agree with most of those askmen.com suggestions, and I've used blackberry's and other PDA's for years. Life is about balance, and there is a time and place for everything. The dinner table is NOT the time or place for a blackberry. Pay attention to your wife / husband / SO for gods sake. Keep it up and it will be just you and a box of kraft dinner at the table, but you'll have your precious blackberry. Hope it likes the same sexual positions as you do.

While bluetooth headsets are usefull, I find myself laughing at guys who walk down the street with them on yakking away like they are "cool".. (THAT'S besides the point that I don't want to hear half your stupid conversation as you walk down the street anyways! So shut up already!)
That ain't cool.. That is trying to BE cool.. And you're loosing. Cool is something you ARE naturally, not something you can make yourself. Nope, it's the cool wannabes who have bluetooth headsets and proudly show them off. Yes, I have one, and yes I use it when I'm driving. Otherwise, not so much.

I often leave my crackberry at home when out with family, so I wont be disturbed by work or whatever. Because THEY are worth my undivided attention for at least some part of my day. And work gets enough of my time already, screw 'em if they can't wait for a couple of hours while I have dinner with my beautiful bride.

People seem to have forgotten what it's like to have a personal relationship with another person face to face and not via some "device"... Its frikkin stupid if you ask me.
I've got a co-op student working here right now in the development department. Hes spoken about 3 sentences since he started 3 weeks ago. But he's always got the I-pod on, and the cell phone text messaging going, and the IM going on his PC and what have you. It's distrubing I tell you....

FWIW...
Old 01-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #29
No Longer Registered.

First off.... WE who are crazy loving our BlackBerry(s) do have a life!

Secondly, just because we can't leave our BBs at home means we don't live rich lives with our family and friends - I for one am. I would say though to people who revolve around their schedule to watch sports games and all - do need to get a life (see that movie FEVER PITCH?)

Bottom line.. when you are a REAL crackberry Addict.. the AskMen Etiquette is just for MERE souls who are using a BlackBerry and hating it, when they could have just gotten a Moto Razr. But for those of us who are, can't be guided and be told what is appropriate. It is like saying to somebody who is a drug user -- use when needed. Like c'mon! Are you even realistic? That's why we are called Crackberry Addicts. We Do Not Follow Rules! And yes, we RULE! And this catt purrs!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #30
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

Amen Sister!!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #31
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

I see that Sarcasm is wasted on the young...

Don't watch the game... PLAY THE SPORT! much more enjoyable!

I love my crackberry, can't imagine working without it. However, I draw the line at sending emails over dinner, or when I'm spending time with family. Each to their own. And how does being a crackberry adict mean you don't follow rules?
It makes you as mainstream as you can possibly be!! LOL
Old 01-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #32
Jim Bond
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucejr
Amen Sister!!

And YOU... tsk tsk... you're just sucking up to the chick... LOL
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #33
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Bruce, he's got your number!!
Old 01-18-2007, 02:38 PM   #34
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I agree with catt. There are a million ways to ignore and/or irritate your family at the dinner table.

Why I can think of ten at least that we practice in our home...
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM   #35
John Clark
BBF Moderator

**** Moving to Rants & Raves ****
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM   #36
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Bruce, he's got your number!!
And you know this man! A happy catt is a happy Purrfect 4.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #37
No Longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bond
I see that Sarcasm is wasted on the young...

Don't watch the game... PLAY THE SPORT! much more enjoyable!

I love my crackberry, can't imagine working without it. However, I draw the line at sending emails over dinner, or when I'm spending time with family. Each to their own. And how does being a crackberry adict mean you don't follow rules?
It makes you as mainstream as you can possibly be!! LOL
There is nothing wrong with being "mainstream". But isn't being a Crackberry Addict Non-Mainstream? Wouldn't you address the People-With-Ordinary-Phones-Using-TXT-Camera-MP3 more your kind of mainstream though?

We the Crackberry Addicts are NEVER Mainstream. Etiquettes are created for those that are and not otherwise.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #38
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

You funny catt
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #39
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Catts gotta do what a catts gotta do.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #40
foner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

So many things to comment on... so little time. (Need to get back to my life you know...)
Just because we have our berry with us and we know we have mail, doesn't mean that we feel the need to respond. Its often enough to just know the mail, message, txt, IM is there. We'll get to it later. For many of us, the device helps us feel connected. That aint such a bad thing.
Please don't endeavour to tell me how connected I should be to my loved ones because that would be extremely presumptuous even for innocuous internet chat. 42 years old, 5 kids, lovely wife, lovely life. I think i'm doing okay, with the life/berry balance thing as i'm sure many others are here as well. Not a fan myself, but if I want to wear my new $200 BT headset while picking tomatoes at the market - who's to judge? This isn't yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theatre. This is just my wicked awesome CTU / 24 ringtone! Not really that big a deal if you ask me.
Cheers!