BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:48 AM   #1
bdee

Model: 7250
Default Bell Mobility vs. Rogers Canada

Please Login to Remove!

I am looking to buy a BB...

I was wondering if anyone has any info. on Bell Mobility vs.Rogers network service..

I will be using both voice and data in Downtown Toronto but will be needing my voice and data in many remote areas in Canada...

I just got back from PEI and I heard most people say their BB did not work.. Rogers shows some service inm PEI but not sure on Bell..

Form my past phone cell servie Bell Mobility usually has a much better foot print... Bell was a late mover into the GSM space and I don't know how robust their roll out has been...

As a matter of fact Rogers cell phone service barely worked from my home several years ago so I switched to Bell...

Any info would be helpful...
Old 07-27-2005, 11:47 AM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

OK... Rogers has by far the largest network in Canada, as well, they have identical voice and data footprints. Downtown TO it won't really matter who you are with, there is lots of coverage.

In remote areas, chances are you are better off with Rogers. The reason for this is that it's all Rogers network, whereas Bell (in the east especially) has agreements with Telus to share towers. Telus doesn't have Blackberry capabilities on the CDMA network, they only have capabilities on the Mike side of things, which is much smaller then the voice side.

I have never been to PEI, so I can't really comment about the coverage there.

Bell wasn't a late mover into GSM, they don't run GSM at all, they run CDMA2000. Which means that they are not included into the 78% of mobile users using GSM technology around the world. In fact, CDMA2000 which is what bell uses has something in the neighbourhood of 8% of the global market.

Rogers completely rebuild their network since the Cantel PCS days, which were all about crappy coverage, now their coverage is by far the best in Canada... I take the backroads home and can maintain a call from work all the way home.

cd.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 PM   #3
{-DesT-}

Model: 7130g

I'm using Rogers for personal use and for business use (my own company) but one of my customers use Bell for Blackberry and all the guys that use bell always complain about the poor coverage outside the island of montreal and also complain about the price...

Personnaly I'm with Rogers since 10 year and never got a problem...
Old 08-03-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
minx
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have 20 BB users with Bell and 17 with Rogers, they told me that Bell has greater coverage for voice in North America, for data is almost even.
The only thing I don't like about Rogers is their support, it's very difficult to reach data tech support.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #5
mmell

Want to use applications? with bell you need BES
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Shamrock
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7750
Carrier: Bell

Hey,
Just dug up this old post searching.

Is this true that I will have app problems with Bell (I will not be using Enterprise)?
B.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Hey,
Just dug up this old post searching.

Is this true that I will have app problems with Bell (I will not be using Enterprise)?
B.
Not anymore... Bell now supports some form of TCP/IP on their Network.... We've been testing connectivity successfully with some SSH clients that didn't run prior to April 2007. In a conversation with my corp sales rep where I told him I was moving all my devices to Rogers specifically because of this fact, he had announced that Bell would enable TCP/IP on their Network in the April / May time frame.. I told him at the time that I would need to see it to believe it..

Well.. Look like it's here now.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
ofelas
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW

Pentarus - how's Rogers' BB coverage on Hwy 15 and surrounding areas, specifically, from Champlain Bridge all the way to La Prairie/Candiac?
Thx.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #9
Pentarus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofelas View Post
Pentarus - how's Rogers' BB coverage on Hwy 15 and surrounding areas, specifically, from Champlain Bridge all the way to La Prairie/Candiac?
Thx.
Not that I regularly travel that way.... But all and all, I have had no issues with Rogers' coverage in the Island and the it's surrounding municipalities. I have family in Brossard and Ste-Catherine and when travelling to their homes, my coverage has always been flawless.