Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
chef42974
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8810
Carrier: at&t
Default GPS Nav System

Please Login to Remove!

Does any one know if there is a program for my 7250 to give me GPS Nav?
Old 04-30-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
philton
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
PIN: 32ba516d
Carrier: Alltel

Does your provider offer Telenav?
Old 04-30-2006, 05:45 PM   #3
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Nope, requires a NEXTEL or MiKE BB to really work as they have built in GPS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philton
Does your provider offer Telenav?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:15 PM   #4
BilltheCat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

I think you can get a standalone gps unit that bluetooths to your ph if it isnt gps self capable. telenav sells some I think. They are expensive.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Bell Website seems to mention Assisted GPS (AGPS) on the 7250. How does that differ from GPS?

"Assisted GPS (AGPS) Ready for e9-1-1, Finder Services, Seek & Find and Business Tracking Services"

http://www.businessonthego.ca/default.asp?path=/7250/
Old 05-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
santorop

Model: 8820
Carrier: Tmobile

i just started using this app... mologogo

it is a little tricky on the 7250 compared to some nextel phones but it takes your location and plots it on a google map both on the handheld and web. plus its FREE.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
k9Berry1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100i

APGS is based on Cell sites not actual GPS sats. so if your like me and in an area with only one tower your not going to get very accuracte results. You really need 3 or more towers for an accurate location.

currenlty the IDEN systems are the only ones (i know of) that have true GPS for user applications.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
stanton

Quote:
Originally Posted by santorop

it is a little tricky on the 7250 compared to some nextel phones but it takes your location and plots it on a google map both on the handheld and web. plus its FREE.
Which service are you on? I tried it on Verizon, and it couldn't get the GPS info.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
TheShark

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9Berry1
APGS is based on Cell sites not actual GPS sats. so if your like me and in an area with only one tower your not going to get very accuracte results. You really need 3 or more towers for an accurate location.

currenlty the IDEN systems are the only ones (i know of) that have true GPS for user applications.
That's true, although the highly touted Nextel navigation system (Telenav) is not one of those apps. It uses cell tower triangulation, so if you are in a no service area, it will not function. The true GPS apps are used for work tracking (applications such as Xora Timetrack and @Road)).

Personally, I use google maps on my 7520 and find that it just isn't worth paying $10 a month for Telenav, when really the only difference is hitting a key to update the directions once you've made a turn, versus Telenav doing it for you.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
kb9liq
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130

I'd stay away for Telenav. The data is old. I emailed about things like the interstate mile marks changed over 7 years ago and they have the old ones. But better then that the streets around the mall here have only been there for over 25 years now and still don't know the names.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:43 PM   #11
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

TeleNav does utilize the GPS chip in iDEN handsets.
Data is only as new as GIS and other gov't databases offer.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:39 AM   #12
TheShark

Model: 8330

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
TeleNav does utilize the GPS chip in iDEN handsets.
Data is only as new as GIS and other gov't databases offer.
From Telenav's website: "TeleNav mapping data covers the entire United States, except for Alaska. You will be able to use TeleNav wherever your carrier has network coverage. Consult your carrier's website for an up-to-date coverage map."

If it was a true GPS application, it would work off-network. It doesn't, making it inferior to real GPS navigation systems. The irony is, the times you really need directions are often when you are in BFE and out of coverage! I highly recommend giving google maps a shot and asking yourself if it is worth $10 bucks a month so you don't have to hit a button after making a turn.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

The requirement for the network coverage provides a connection between the J2ME app and the TeleNav servers so that updated instructions can be sent, re-routing, etc. All iDEN handsets have GPS chips.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
donsarlo

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by santorop

I use a 7250 as well and am interested in mologogo.. Which version did you use (Candybar, Flip, Simple ...) on your 7250?

What tweaking did you have to do to get it to work on the 7250?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #15
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShark
From Telenav's website: "TeleNav mapping data covers the entire United States, except for Alaska. You will be able to use TeleNav wherever your carrier has network coverage. Consult your carrier's website for an up-to-date coverage map."

If it was a true GPS application, it would work off-network. It doesn't, making it inferior to real GPS navigation systems. The irony is, the times you really need directions are often when you are in BFE and out of coverage! I highly recommend giving google maps a shot and asking yourself if it is worth $10 bucks a month so you don't have to hit a button after making a turn.

Wouldn't we be required to have data coverage in order to use Google maps?

Other GPS solutions for the 7520:
http://www.nextel.com/en/services/gps/gps.shtml

I'm fascinated with Trimble but haven't found a personal use for it yet.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #16
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Lightbulb Late...

Hey,

sorry I have just discovered this thread, hope it's not too late

There is a quite good article on BlackBerryInsight (http://www.blackberryinsight.com/200...berry-and-gps/) which evaluates current BlackBerry models and the most used GPS / Location Based Services programs in the market.

You might get a good overview there. Most of them offer a free demo so you will be able to test the program before you by it
Old 07-05-2006, 10:25 PM   #17
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

I disagree with the nah sayers. I had GPS systems in my Pocket PC, Jaguar, and Expedition, and my Telenav system has been almost the best; the DVD based navigation system in the Jag ($2300+) option was better. All in all, Telenav works very nice
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 AM   #18
kelvin

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

I recently tested the Telenav system on a Sprint phone, after testing the Nextel phone one. They pretty much worked the same. The problem I found is that you must be connected to the server to get updated direction. This was no good for our desire to use them as alternatives for disaster recovery during post hurricane clean up, when phone service is usually down. The system DOES use the GPS chip, which you can verify by using the Tools function. It will show you your current long / lat. I did notice on the newer version on one of the phones that if you were indoors (no GPS signal) it would provide the coordiantes of the closest tower.