BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
HunterHillegas
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Google/Gmail Hosted Domains + BIS - Status?

Please Login to Remove!

I've seen several bits and pieces on this in several other threads but I'd rather have one place I can watch for updates...

So, I too have a domain that I use w/ Google's hosted email services. For those unaware, Google provides a service where you can get your own domain and use it with their Gmail infrastructure...

So, my vegasmediagroup.com domain's email is hosted by Google and I use Gmail as a Web interface, etc...

Now, recent BIS upgrades have given @gmail.com users instant reconciliation.

I want to know if I can use that feature on my domain as it's hosted on the same servers... BIS seems to use the actual domain name to determine if it wants to activate this feature or not, which is a bummer since I am on Google's servers too!

Anyone know anything different? I know others are in the same boat.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:42 AM   #2
jgoldsborough

Model: 8700c
Default I feel your pain...

I am also a google hosted user, and love it, except for the inability to integrate with BIS. Please keep me posted...
Old 10-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
FroogleThis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

My small company is thinking of taking this step towards hosting, to cut down on Exchange issues/costs. I'd be interested in any info as well.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

I have Google hosted domain and NO, there is no way (right now at least) to get the TRUE GMAIL/Blackberry functionality out of the hosted domain..I wish it were possible, but not right now...I contacted GMAIL support a bunch of times, but got no response...Anyone else wanna try?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
virtual4now

Model: 8700c

I too am a member of Google Apps for your domain. I understand it doesn't yet work like gmail.com but I was able to get mail just fine for a while when I set it up just like any other pop3 account.

This was true up until about a week ago when I started having a lot of problems - everything is delayed by hours if not over a day. Is anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 11-02-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
jungleland

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual4now
I too am a member of Google Apps for your domain. I understand it doesn't yet work like gmail.com but I was able to get mail just fine for a while when I set it up just like any other pop3 account.

This was true up until about a week ago when I started having a lot of problems - everything is delayed by hours if not over a day. Is anybody else having this problem?

Thanks,

Tim

No problems here...
Old 11-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #7
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

No problems here, too.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
HunterHillegas

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

No problems here.

I contacted their support on this issue and from the non-sensical response, it was clear they had no clue what I was talking about.

I wish I could bypass level 1 support and talk to a real person... There should be a test you can take to prove you're not an idiot and if you pass it you skip the first level of tech support at all companies.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:01 PM   #9
astorg

Model: 8100

There is a way around this issue which works for me and is almost as good as receiving Gmail hosted email on one’s Blackberry:

(1) create a BlackBerry account (say [email address] or whatever address your Blackberry allows you to set up);

(2) set up your Blackberry to receive email from [email address] (your Gmail hosted email address) — this can be done if you use you@mydomain;com as user and account holder, and pop.gmail.com as the mail sever — this will result in outgoing mail from the Blackberry being able to spoof your hosted Gmail account, although as pointed out in this thread, incoming email seems to run into problems;

(2) in your Gmail hosted account, go to Settings, then Forwarding and POP, and set [email address] to FORWARD a copy of incoming mail to [email address]; choose whether to leave forwarded mail in your Inbox, archive it or delete depending on whether you want to see it again when you open you hosted Gmail account (this in effect achieves exactly the same result, AS FAR AS YOUR GMAIL HOSTED EMAIL ACCOUNT IS CONCERNED, as the Blackberry device pulling you email using POP);

(3) your email will now be pushed to your [email address] account on your Blackberry;

(4) to reply using your hosted address simply choose send email to [email address] (the sender of the email) instead of clicking on reply — you will then be able to choose from any of the email accounts you have set up on the device. recipient will receive the email as if it came from [email address].

I know it’s a slightly dirty fix, but it does work.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:50 PM   #10
jungleland

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorg
There is a way around this issue which works for me and is almost as good as receiving Gmail hosted email on one’s Blackberry:

(1) create a BlackBerry account (say [email address] or whatever address your Blackberry allows you to set up);

(2) set up your Blackberry to receive email from [email address] (your Gmail hosted email address) — this can be done if you use you@mydomain;com as user and account holder, and pop.gmail.com as the mail sever — this will result in outgoing mail from the Blackberry being able to spoof your hosted Gmail account, although as pointed out in this thread, incoming email seems to run into problems;

(2) in your Gmail hosted account, go to Settings, then Forwarding and POP, and set [email address] to FORWARD a copy of incoming mail to [email address]; choose whether to leave forwarded mail in your Inbox, archive it or delete depending on whether you want to see it again when you open you hosted Gmail account (this in effect achieves exactly the same result, AS FAR AS YOUR GMAIL HOSTED EMAIL ACCOUNT IS CONCERNED, as the Blackberry device pulling you email using POP);

(3) your email will now be pushed to your [email address] account on your Blackberry;

(4) to reply using your hosted address simply choose send email to [email address] (the sender of the email) instead of clicking on reply — you will then be able to choose from any of the email accounts you have set up on the device. recipient will receive the email as if it came from [email address].

I know it’s a slightly dirty fix, but it does work.

that in NO way achieves the same functionality available to gmail users in conjunction with the blackberry....

It does not delete the emails from the server when you do from your hand held, it does not store a copy of your sent emails on the gmail server....
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I have Gmail set up through BIS (not POP). Delivery is instant, but deleted e-mails are not reconciled. According to what you're saying here, they should be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
that in NO way achieves the same functionality available to gmail users in conjunction with the blackberry....

It does not delete the emails from the server when you do from your hand held, it does not store a copy of your sent emails on the gmail server....
Old 12-23-2006, 04:42 AM   #12
wlee309
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

I think I found the solution for using 'Google Apps for your Domain'.

After setting up a user@your domain.com email through Google, go into settings/forwarding and POP and enable 'POP' for all email.

In the same tab, there is a link to 'configuration instructions' which has instructions for Blackberries.

In your BIS, setup a new account and enter your 'Google Apps' email address into it. As it fails to detect settings automatically, it will prompt you to add the settings in manually.

add all relevant info and add 'pop.gmail.com' as the server. check off POP and also SSL.

This worked for me just now and I have tested it successfully on a two way conversation to my other email accounts. sweet! take that BES!
Old 12-23-2006, 01:01 PM   #13
whsbuss

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee309
I think I found the solution for using 'Google Apps for your Domain'.

After setting up a user@your domain.com email through Google, go into settings/forwarding and POP and enable 'POP' for all email.

In the same tab, there is a link to 'configuration instructions' which has instructions for Blackberries.

In your BIS, setup a new account and enter your 'Google Apps' email address into it. As it fails to detect settings automatically, it will prompt you to add the settings in manually.

add all relevant info and add 'pop.gmail.com' as the server. check off POP and also SSL.

This worked for me just now and I have tested it successfully on a two way conversation to my other email accounts. sweet! take that BES!
Does this also deliver email instantly like gmail.com accounts?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:42 PM   #14
jungleland

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss
Does this also deliver email instantly like gmail.com accounts?
His info does nothing for us. That has been the standard setup since the beginning. It gives normal 15 minute reconcile with NO 2 way sync like full gmail. Don't get excited. I think he is smoking something

Last edited by jungleland; 12-24-2006 at 02:07 PM..
Old 01-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #15
mrbrut

Carrier: Optus

Any updates on this? I'm considering migrating my domain over to google if the 2 way instant syncing works....

Last edited by mrbrut; 01-11-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #16
DLB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Emails sent to BB are received almost immediately but no 2 way sync. Same applies for regular gmail. Emails sent from BB do not appear in Sent folder and messages deleted from BB are not deleted from Inbox. The strange things is that this use to work in the past.

Update

2 way sync now works on gmail. Messages sent from BB appear in Sent folder and messages deleted from BB are deleted from Inbox. Not sure why....
Still no 2 way sync on domain with Google Apps.

Last edited by DLB; 01-12-2007 at 02:45 AM..
Old 01-14-2007, 12:57 AM   #17
mrbrut

Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLB
Update

2 way sync now works on gmail. Messages sent from BB appear in Sent folder and messages deleted from BB are deleted from Inbox. Not sure why....
Still no 2 way sync on domain with Google Apps.
Cheers, for the update. Here's hoping that 2 way sync on Google Apps appears soon!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #18
bmcnaboe

Model: pearl

I'm able to send messages on my BIS configured Google Apps account just fine. However, I only receive them when my Outlook 2003 account hasn't already picked up the message. I do have "Leave a copy of message on server" checked in Outlook (and a copy is indeed left on the server), but I still never receive the messages on my BB once they're picked up by Outlook. This problem doesn't occur for my other standard gmail account which works fine on both BB and Outlook. Also, if BB picks up message first, I still am able to receive them in Outlook once I start it up.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? What could be the possible cause and solution? Already walked through all standard trouble shooting with both T-Mobile and RIM support.

Thanks!
Brian
Old 02-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #19
bmcnaboe

Model: pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcnaboe
I'm able to send messages on my BIS configured Google Apps account just fine. However, I only receive them when my Outlook 2003 account hasn't already picked up the message. I do have "Leave a copy of message on server" checked in Outlook (and a copy is indeed left on the server), but I still never receive the messages on my BB once they're picked up by Outlook. This problem doesn't occur for my other standard gmail account which works fine on both BB and Outlook. Also, if BB picks up message first, I still am able to receive them in Outlook once I start it up.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? What could be the possible cause and solution? Already walked through all standard trouble shooting with both T-Mobile and RIM support.

Thanks!
Brian
I've found the answer to my own question. It's at:
www google com/support/a/bin/answer.py?answer=54637

Basically, when retrieving email from outlook, or any other pop client, set your user name to recent:username@mydomain.com. This allows all pop clients to retrieve your mail, not just the first one (incendently, blackberry BIS apparently already does this, so no change needed on that end).

Strange thing is, this behavior appears to differ from the standard gmail account because I didn't need to do that for my other gmail accounts - which I receive on both my blackberry and outlook just fine.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:58 PM   #20
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Come on google

Any updates on this issue of being able to get true BIS two-way sync with Gmail for Domains? I just setup a domain through gmail thinking it would work fine (it works great when you use yahoo for domains) but I can't get it to work unless I use pop or that work around that was posted earlier in this thread with the forwarding and smtp thing.

Anyone know any updates?