BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
ace_2005
No longer Registered.

Lightbulb [2005-07-19] Blackberry Gets Review by Network Computing

Please Login to Remove!

This was a great review for mobile messaging. What do you guys think?

http://www.networkcomputing.com/show...l?docid=1614f2
Old 07-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Talldog
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I can't agree with Goodlink's editors choice award, given that it only supports one of the three major messaging platforms. Apparently Good also thinks they have a significant hole to plug, which is why they just acquired JP Mobile.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
camerch

Model: 7100t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
I can't agree with Goodlink's editors choice award, given that it only supports one of the three major messaging platforms. Apparently Good also thinks they have a significant hole to plug, which is why they just acquired JP Mobile.
I totally agree! GoodLink... excuse me for this... SUCKS!! When it's compared to the BlackBerry Solutions.. But i think it's can be useful for consumers that their corporation doesn't pay for there service or hosting...
Old 07-21-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Couple of things, and I know I am opening myself up for flames here, but I have had them before.

RE: Talldog

You are 100% right, we did have a major hole to fill with no Notes nor Groupwise support and with the acquisition of JP Mobile, hopefully we will have that hole filled very soon. However, I could counter that argument with the fact that Blackberry has no support for the three (or 4) major wireless operating systems, at least in the US and limited support outside the US.

RE: camerch

I have to respectfully disagree. First, how does GoodLink suck compared to Blackberry? I would be interested to hear your comparisons. As for consumers, you couldn't be more mistaken. GoodLink is not available for consumers in that a server component, similar to BES, must be installed and managed by IT departments. GoodLink never has tried to go after the consumer market. RIMM, on the other hand (via the carriers) seems to be targetting consumers very heavily with the recent promotions that have been running.

Again, not trying to start a flame war here, I am curious, however, to hear your reasoning for saying GoodLink sucks as it would appear you have run both solutions.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:34 AM   #5
stevenyc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: lots
Carrier: t-mobile

Goodlink brought me complete synchronization between a device and mailbox that is easy to set up and just works, without having to deal with CDO's, memory limitations, service books, etc...

RIM brought me to this forum to contribute to the thousands of posts trying to make the software work correctly.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:17 AM   #6
Talldog

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
RE: Talldog

You are 100% right, we did have a major hole to fill with no Notes nor Groupwise support and with the acquisition of JP Mobile, hopefully we will have that hole filled very soon. However, I could counter that argument with the fact that Blackberry has no support for the three (or 4) major wireless operating systems, at least in the US and limited support outside the US.
Alright, I'll counter your counter by noting that I work for a very large enterprise that has both Exchange and Domino (with thousands of users on each platform). It was a lot easier for us to standardize on a single handheld OS for wireless email than it would be to convert our Notes users to Exchange. Since for most companies, secure email and PIM are the "killer apps", the need to support multiple handheld operating systems is not yet a front burner issue, hence RIM's market leading position.

But here's a serious question. Are you planning to use this acquisition to integrate JP Mobile's technology into Goodlink, or are you going to offer two separate products?
Old 07-22-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
Alright, I'll counter your counter by noting that I work for a very large enterprise that has both Exchange and Domino (with thousands of users on each platform). It was a lot easier for us to standardize on a single handheld OS for wireless email than it would be to convert our Notes users to Exchange. Since for most companies, secure email and PIM are the "killer apps", the need to support multiple handheld operating systems is not yet a front burner issue, hence RIM's market leading position.

But here's a serious question. Are you planning to use this acquisition to integrate JP Mobile's technology into Goodlink, or are you going to offer two separate products?
Very good point and I completely understand that in a heterogeneous environment, Good lacked the product mix to support that.

As for the Notes version of GoodLink, the honest answer is I am not sure how we are handling it. I know that JP Mobile has announced end-of-life for the SureWave product line, so that would lead me to believe that we will integrate their product into ours. Unfortunately, I am not in that need-to-know chain
Closed Thread