BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #41
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

SlickTasks is actually pretty slick Highly recommended, right up there with TMX for usability and easier on the wallet as well
Old 11-18-2009, 07:34 PM   #42
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennna View Post
there's so much good info in this thread - you guys are awesome - but here's a question:
do you know of a good task management program that has a stand-alone desktop application/interface for a Mac (i'm not comfortable posting all that personal info on an external server as with Rex, toodledo, etc)?
Agendus seems to have a decent option but that's only for the PC. And OmniFocus looks awesome but it's not Blackberry (and therefore Verizon) friendly...

Suggestions?
Like I mentioned before somewhere, TaskMaster synchronizes well with Windows and Mac desktops.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:44 PM   #43
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau View Post
SlickTasks is actually pretty slick Highly recommended, right up there with TMX for usability and easier on the wallet as well
Slick Tasks is nice However it's not syncing in real time with the default built in task app.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #44
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
Slick Tasks is nice However it's not syncing in real time with the default built in task app.
Like I said, TM is doing that If you are a GTD pro you might wanna take a look at NextAction! which seems to be perfect for "Getting Things Done" ...
Old 11-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #45
akdms
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none
PIN: N/A

I'm a fan of Pocket Informant's task manager. I like it more than ToDoMatrix.

Although GTD / Covey isn't implemented in the current version, it's easy to set up through categories (which can be added while adding a task--which was a turn-off for me with ToDoMatrix). You can assign multiple categories to a task (I assign #project, +duration, /quadrant, @context). Plus you can color code and add icons to categories. I have my expected duration color coded (red=long tasks, yellow=medium tasks, etc) and quadrants set up with icons, so from the agenda & task overview screens it's easy to see what my week looks like. From the category task view screen I can see what tasks I have assigned to each "bucket" (ala ToDoMatrix).

Plus they it has a built in calendar (which I don't use, but it's there none the less). My only wish is that it had more filtering and view options (i.e., only tasks in the next 3 / 7 days, etc.), and a way to wirelessly back up my data (like TDM).
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #46
akdms
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdms View Post
I'm a fan of Pocket Informant's task manager. I like it more than ToDoMatrix.

Although GTD / Covey isn't implemented in the current version, it's easy to set up through categories (which can be added while adding a task--which was a turn-off for me with ToDoMatrix). You can assign multiple categories to a task (I assign #project, +duration, /quadrant, @context). Plus you can color code and add icons to categories. I have my expected duration color coded (red=long tasks, yellow=medium tasks, etc) and quadrants set up with icons, so from the agenda & task overview screens it's easy to see what my week looks like. From the category task view screen I can see what tasks I have assigned to each "bucket" (ala ToDoMatrix).

Plus they it has a built in calendar (which I don't use, but it's there none the less). My only wish is that it had more filtering and view options (i.e., only tasks in the next 3 / 7 days, etc.), and a way to wirelessly back up my data (like TDM).

Actually, I just realized they updated to 2.0, which does have GTD and Covey supported. Not sure yet if I prefer that method versus having everything in one long category list, but it's there and working.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #47
[IFC]Area51
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

I just use reQall, does what i need and is free, plus they offer a pro version which is of no interest to me.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 11-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #48
Spankypoo

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMo

Stupid thread got my hopes up that someone had actually figured out how to write a task manager (i.e., process monitor) for the BlackBerry. Oh well.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #49
Dougsg38p
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Maybe you should show us how it is done
Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #50
rdj

Model: 8830
Default REXwireless ToDoMatrix data security and integrity

Several years ago, I sought a definitive answer for information security using REXwireless' ToDoMatrix, IdeaMatrix, and their Always*Safe and REXdesktop (web access) features. What I learned is that:
  • REXwireless takes reasonable precautions to protect data stored on their servers: rather than using a conventional relational database, they encrypt and store your personal data on their servers as a unit
  • Data is not encrypted enroute between your Blackberry and their servers (i.e. during sync, backup, and restore operations)
Following my signature below, I've quoted a post that they made about this on their support forum. (I quoted this from their server just now, so presuambly it remains an accurate statement.)

When you log onto their REXdesktop service (via HTTPS, so all those interactions with your browser are encrypted), there is a pause while their server loads your database(s). My IdeaMatrix database is huge, so the delay is quite noticeable to me!

While you're interacting with the data using the web interface, it is reasonable to assume that wherever they temporarily store the working copy is not encrypted, so clearly, a very sophisticated hacker with fully-open access to their running server could, possibly, maybe, get to your sensitive information in plaintext. This is what I meant by saying that REXwireless takes "reasonable precautions".

(Related anecdote: years ago I learned from CitiBank's fraud protection service that my credit card had been compromised from a so-called "secure" on-line transaction. The site had all the seals-of-assurance, and the connection was secured via HTTPS/SSL. It turned out that the "secure" server proceeded to email the orders to the vendor -- in plaintext! All someone had to do was to grab these emails as they were routed, and so they did. Using credit card issuer's "temporary card number" services with their user-defined limits and expirations is a GREAT practice!)

REXwireless' statement (quoted below) explains their rationale for the lack of encryption during Blackberry syncing. The upshot of all this is:
  • REXwireless products seem reasonably secure for most purposes, including most "proprietary" but routine corporate information, however, they are not secure enough for passwords, financial access information, or identity protection.
  • REXwireless products are probably more secure than most "online storage" facilities, including and in particular, Google.
  • Having been thoroughly impressed with every direct interaction I've had with REXwireless folks over the years, and based on my assessment of their technical proficiency and integrity, as well as the evident quality of their software, I have no hesitation storing my data in their product or on their servers.
Incidentally, I went with Ascendo DataVault for all the stuff that's too sensitive for REXwireless products, and that has given me a superb and trustworthy operating environment.

As far as ToDoMatrix itself is concerned, I have never encountered a more powerful or better-engineered task management product on any platform than ToDoMatrix. The closest thing (for sophisticated use) might be Llamagraphics' Life Balance, but it's been a very long time since I used a Palm... ToDoMatrix seems to be superbly functional to combine the best characteristics of both Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD) and Covey's First Things First (FTF). And with the enhanced Blackberry integration they provide through REXconnect and now the well-done bidirectional native Task manager syncing, I can't even imagine anything coming close.

(Full disclosure: I have absolutely no connection with any of these companies other than being a long-term and satisfied user.)

-^-rdj-^-

Quote:
Where is my data encrypted and where is it not encrypted?
by REXadmin » 05 Oct 2007 10:45

Where is my data encrypted and where is it not encrypted in the REXwireless overall system?

REXwireless applications are currently designed to offer good security against the most prevalent hacker threats; however, note that our applications are not currently competing in the high-security "password vault" space. We strive to balance productivity and application functionality vs. reasonable security.

REXwireless's Always*Safe subsystem backs up data to our servers to protect the user against BlackBerry damage or loss, and to protect data during software upgrades and users changing to new devices. Our servers reside in large commercial datacenters which have comprehensive physical security schemes and 7 x 24 security personnel onsite.

The most prevalent threat, after physical loss of the BlackBerry which is far and away the most common problem, is a hacker gaining access to a server. To address this concern, REXwireless user application data is not stored in a relational database format on the servers. Rather, the datafiles on the server are individually encrypted with AES-256 standards. If our servers were ever compromised by a hacker, the datafiles of the users would not be compromised. There are no known breaks of AES-256.

When a user logs onto REXdesktop.com, his or her datafile is "checked out", decrypted, and loaded into server memory to enable the user's access and modification. Every time there is a modification, the change processed and written back to the disk in an encrypted format. The data is removed from server memory upon log-out of a session. The database is not loaded to the local PC or Mac using the browser to access the session.

At the BlackBerry end, the user's REXwireless database is not encrypted. When a record is modified, the change is transmitted to REXwireless servers, where the server writes the change in encrypted format to disk. The privacy feature in IdeaMatrix is a simple cloaking scheme and does not encrypt the user's data.

At this time, changes transmitted between the BlackBerry and REXwireless servers are not encrypted enroute. This is quite common practice - consider that most e-mails that travel between companies travel without encryption. Please note that the majority of REXwireless transmissions are simply the field that changed, not the entire record or database.
REXadmin
Site Admin

Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM   #51
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

Taskjot all the way. I can't live without it.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #52
tjenvjnh

Model: 8100
Carrier: Admin

I use SlickTasks
h t t p://mindberry.net/slicktasks/
Old 12-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #53
don.new

Model: 9780

Rex has indicated they will be stepping up security next year. I'm waiting for details.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:56 PM   #54
Jaime

Is there any of this apps that sync with a web based task manager?
Old 01-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #55
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
Is there any of this apps that sync with a web based task manager?
ToDoMatrix offers a web-based task application manager as well. The web app is being re-written.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #56
Jaime

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
ToDoMatrix offers a web-based task application manager as well. The web app is being re-written.
Thank god, it's quite ugly!!
Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #57
highvelocityit

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Checkout bhivetasks. We put a lot of effort into creating a really great user experience (which is lacking in most BlackBerry applications). There is a demo on youtube (search for blackberry todo or bhivetasks). It's only $3.99 USD

High Velocity IT
Creators of bhivetasks
Old 07-22-2010, 05:16 AM   #58
Andrey Tkachuk

Carrier: MTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by conker View Post
Yeah, I think ToDoMatrix is generally the agreed upon front-runner, but it's price turns a lot of people off - like me....

There is a huge missing feature, though, there is no interface on a desktop PC over the web to manipulate your tasks. I understand there is a desktop client, but that is so old-school Live in the cloud!
Try MyLifeOrganized for BlackBerry. We just released new Release Candidate. It can sync to first class MLO desktop task manager via USB or MLO-Cloud! Search in google: "MyLifeOrganized BlackBerry"

Andrey
mylifeorganized.net creators of MLO task manager
Old 07-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #59
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Is there a trial version?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #60
Andrey Tkachuk

Carrier: MTS

Yes we have 45-day trial for MLO-Desktop and for MLO-BlackBerry. Just download and start using the applications.

Andrey.
mylifeorganized.net
Closed Thread