Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Busaboyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Phone menu changes once BES activated

Please Login to Remove!

New user. Work is forcing everyone to get Blackberrys. AT&T accidently configured my service plan for personal use. It is only when I tried to enable the Blackberry service that I found the mistake. After the mistake was fixed and I activated my Blackberry service, the menu items on the phone and on the BlackBerry Desktop Software changed. I can no longer make as many changes to the phone. A number of menu items dissipeared. I hope it is a IT policy thing that I can get fixed. My IT guy is looking into it.

Can someone tell me what I cannot do to the phone once it is activated to use BES? I have been trying to get rid of the bloatware on the phone like Facebook ap. I cannot delete it now.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW
Default Re: Phone menu changes once BES activated

BES IT Policy settings are controlled by your IT department. There isn't a common set of "can/can't do" things for all BES users.

You should ask your IT department to explain what their restrictions are. They might be forthcoming with that information, or they might not.
They'd be the only ones who could tell you what their settings are.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Also, things like Facebook are not really "bloatware" on a BlackBerry. There are simply launchers to install the applications. They are very small in size. If you don't click on them, the apps won't be installed. Just hide the icons.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
Busaboyz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Also, things like Facebook are not really "bloatware" on a BlackBerry. There are simply launchers to install the applications. They are very small in size. If you don't click on them, the apps won't be installed. Just hide the icons.
When I clicked the Facebook launcher I was unaware it would put a Facbook Favicon and a digit at the top of the screen. I want to either delete the Favicon and digit or delete Facebook. I am tempted to try BBSAK but I am not sure of the downside of deleting a bunch of CODs.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
DZD
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busaboyz View Post
New user. Work is forcing everyone to get Blackberrys. AT&T accidently configured my service plan for personal use. It is only when I tried to enable the Blackberry service that I found the mistake. After the mistake was fixed and I activated my Blackberry service, the menu items on the phone and on the BlackBerry Desktop Software changed. I can no longer make as many changes to the phone. A number of menu items dissipeared. I hope it is a IT policy thing that I can get fixed. My IT guy is looking into it.

Can someone tell me what I cannot do to the phone once it is activated to use BES? I have been trying to get rid of the bloatware on the phone like Facebook ap. I cannot delete it now.
What particular options have you seen disabled? On mine I can no longer download OS updates (grrrr) and we have to use a password and the device locks after a certain time limit (no problem for me).

Also, I wonder if the "bloatware" you mention is a result of AT&T resetting your device (as opposed to a BES activation). I recently received a new Torch and activated it with BES - it came pre-loaded with icons that when clicked prompts you to install software (games, apps, shortcuts, etc.).

Regarding the facebook app - I'm guessing the "favicon" is just the icon to launch the app and the digit at the top is the number of notifications you have on facebook that you have not yet read - is that correct?

If you want to remove facebook you can just uninstall the app.

Hope that helps and good luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:59 AM   #6
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

Favicon? Boyz? Lmao
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread