Old 06-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint
Default 7130c: Quick Thoughts...

Please Login to Remove!

PROS:
1. Calls are loud and clear. Does not have the amplified echo many phones exhibit when volume is maxed. Speakerphone is loud enough (I'm coming over from the Motorola i530 and i605 with their EXCELLENT speakerphones) and certainly clear enough.
2. Ring tones are louder than your average phone. Not Motorola quite i530/i605 loud, but should be audible when working nearby heavy machinery.

CONS:
1. Slippery when held in palm of hand. Batt cover should be textured or rubberized to offer greater slip-resistance.
2. Learning curve for SureType. T9 (Motorola) to me was quite fast, intuitive and predictive enough. Can become a PRO.
3. Keys are close together, making for difficult key presses under duress.
4. Keys pad numbers are not highly contrasted against the color of the keys themselves. Not as accessible for the elderly or vision impaired.
5. Headset jack and charging port not covered, allowing for infiltration of dust and debris. This can be a problem over time.
6. BB Desktop is an intrusive install. Wrought with registration of DLLs and leaving the system full of system32 debris.
7. No voice record feature (or is there?)
Old 06-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
diegosalinas
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

i agree with the port openings...wish there was a way to protect them from dust/etc without always using a holster/case.

i love the device except for

the right side convenience key is what i accidentally keep pressing when holding it in my hand and thumbing through stuff...

lack of true push for internet accounts you set up...all the adverts i read are talking about push email for your internet accounts. i pasted one advert in another post. this is why i got the 7130c.

Granted the set up is incredibly easy but it is really just pop access. the only benefit is you typically dont have to enter anything other than your address and password during set up.

but pop or not, i love the device b/c it is small, light, and i have really caught on to suretype in just a day.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:28 PM   #3
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlau
CONS:
1. Slippery when held in palm of hand. Batt cover should be textured or rubberized to offer greater slip-resistance.
2. Learning curve for SureType. T9 (Motorola) to me was quite fast, intuitive and predictive enough. Can become a PRO.
4. Keys pad numbers are not highly contrasted against the color of the keys themselves. Not as accessible for the elderly or vision impaired.
5. Headset jack and charging port not covered, allowing for infiltration of dust and debris. This can be a problem over time.
6. BB Desktop is an intrusive install. Wrought with registration of DLLs and leaving the system full of system32 debris.
1. Get some Egrips

5. This is true of ALL Blackberry's not specific to the 7130c.
6. This is true of ALL Blackberry's not specific to the 7130c.
7. This is true of ALL Blackberry's not specific to the 7130c.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Quote:
PROS:
CONS:
2. SureType takes practice. Try composing a message without looking at the keyboard, and just the screen. Then when you are finished, and before sending it, go back and fix any errors you may have made. SureType will learn the words and letters you use most often and will present these as first choices more often.
3. This can be a problem, but once you get familiar with the keypad layout, it's possible to memorize the keypad layout without looking at it.
4. This can be a problem, but once you get familiar with the keypad layout, it's possible to memorize the keypad layout without looking at it.
5. I would just monitor the ports or keep the device in a case that covers these while the device is not in use.
6. If you follow the on screen instructions, it shouldn't be that much of a problem. I've never had that problem.
7. No BlackBerry has this feature yet.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
MattBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgreenberg
1. Get some Egrips

5. This is true of ALL Blackberry's not specific to the 7130c.
6. This is true of ALL Blackberry's not specific to the 7130c.
7. This is true of ALL Blackberry's not specific to the 7130c.

They actually don't have any egrips specifically for the 7130c as of yet. I emailed them about it, but have not recieved a response. I see that you could use a universal egrip but I'm not sure which would fit best.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
lgreenberg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50

The "all purpose" set will give you enough pieces to mix and match so you've covered the device until a custom set is released.
Old 06-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
BioHazardx

Model: 8700r

Quick question - on the 7130c (or any recent BB i.e. 8700) are the keys backlit? Was thinking about your "hard to work under duress" and for some reason - BBing in the dark popped into my head.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
ntjones
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioHazardx
Quick question - on the 7130c (or any recent BB i.e. 8700) are the keys backlit? Was thinking about your "hard to work under duress" and for some reason - BBing in the dark popped into my head.
Yes, they are backlit.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:37 AM   #9
adamlau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Sprint

egrips it is!

Last edited by adamlau; 06-19-2006 at 01:48 AM..
Old 06-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
abbydog3
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130c
Default egrips

Quote:
CONS:
I had the egrips on my old Treo 650, but I love the feel of the 7130c. I was going to buy some egrips, but have not had a problem so far. I guess I like the slippery case! ;)
Closed Thread