Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #1
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW
Default phone upgrade with verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I have a family plan with 5 phone numbers. I'd like to upgrade one phone for a particular number however this number is not eligable for upgrade yet.

One of the other phone numbers in my family plan is eligable for upgrade. Do you think I can upgrade this phone number to a blackberry phone, then do a phone number swap with one of my other numbers to get the blackberry aligned with a phone number that isn't eligable for upgrade yet?

I know this normally works with verizon phones but will the fact that you have to sign up for a BB data plan at the same time affect this? Will the data plan be stuck on the original number? or will it change to the number the blackberry phone is using?

Last edited by complexx; 11-02-2007 at 11:43 AM..
Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Generally, if a phone is up for renewal and Verizon can get extra cash they will work with you. Now if you get a BlackBerry this will require a new phone service as it is data and I do not know of anyone with data on a family plan.

Expect to pay about $ 100 a month for 450 minutes with data, minimum text messaging (250), fees and taxes for a Blackberry. More minutes will increase the cost.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #3
complexx

I guess I need to put a call into verizon to see if I can even add a blackberry to a family plan...
Old 11-02-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I had a bb with data on a family plan and had no issues.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Let us know what you find out as my comments are based on my conversation end of May 2007 when I got my 8830. I have a family plan with the wife, kids, and parents on it. Originally I had planned on moving my phone number to the family plan to save some money and adding the data service but was told no. Maybe things have changed.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
complexx

I made an anonymous call as a potential customer and found out that you can add a blackberry to a family plan. It will operate as a normal phone under the family plan.

In order to take advantage of the BB data services, those would be an additional charge that only apply to the device ($44.99). I specifically asked if the data plan is appended to the phone number or the device and they stated it is a service that is added to the device.

I think it is safe to infer that I can upgrade one of my phone lines to a black berry device, add a data plan, then swap the phone number off with a phone number that isn't eligable for an upgrade yet.
Closed Thread