Old 06-18-2006, 01:36 PM   #1
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Question T-mobile or Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

i currently have an 8700c with cingular and while i love the 8700c i'm not that crazy about Cingular service . yes the signal is good and my BB service does its job , but bill and customer service plus paying more than Tmobile would charge for BB service unlimited isn't exactly great .

so with that said , in the NYC metro area and perhaps around the USA , canada , and wherever anyone wishes to comment on ... which service would give the better experience as far as general customer service , price , signal range , and overall " feel " ?????? i have seen threads ask similar questions but not related to NYC metro and not about T-mobile Vs. Cingular ... also i plan on going from 8700c to 8700g with T-mobile ... any thoughts from current 8700g users as to its overall quality and signal / performance with T-mobile ..... thankx in advance for your words of advice
Old 06-18-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
phillyslickster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: 242a22a7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (7105t: BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

T-Mobile has the best customer service. I haven't had any issues with billing at T-Mobile. I go to the New York metro area from time to time and I haven't had any issue with the T-Mobile service when I was there. T-Mobile has roaming agreements with Cingular. That makes things even better and T-Mobile has added more towers now than they had about 4 years ago. Therefore, service has improved. I had Cingular service and left them because of the billing issues I was having and Cingular never wanted to fix the problem. I was using the 8700c at the time. When I switched to T-Mobile, the 8700g hadn't been released as of yet. I'm using the 7105t right now, but I've ordered an 8700g which will arrive in the mail on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to receiving it. I mainly travel up and down the east coast and the T-Mobile service works well. I know it works great in the Dallas metro area as well. I'm glad I switched to T-Mobile from Cingular. I'm saving money and getting good coverage and much better customer service.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
EricaJ1074
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7105t

Same here. I didn't have billing issues with Cingular when I left them. I had the chance to get a better PDA type device than what Cingular offered so I jumped at the chance. 3 years later, I am still with T-Mobile and although I've had a few billing foulups recently, the signal and service has been much better.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:00 PM   #4
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

If your primary account is on Yahoo you should go with T-Mobile. Cingular does not offer the level of integration with Yahoo T-Mobile does.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry One
If your primary account is on Yahoo you should go with T-Mobile. Cingular does not offer the level of integration with Yahoo T-Mobile does.

totally agree with you on that one ! i used yahoo mail all day every day and when i got Cingular service with my BB 8700c found out i couldn't get my yahoo mail so i HAD TO switch to Gmail .... now i'm chasing my emails left and right ... lol . i wish i knew about t-mobile and yahoo b4 i got Cingular .
Old 06-18-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
unplugged
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Default Go TMO

Don't know much about Cingular. Recently new to TMO and BB's here on the West Coast and am addicted to my 7290 and TMO. Yahoo integration is great, and I have been with Yahoo more than 10 years. I like the addition of YIM on ver 4.1.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:07 PM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I am not sure you can really base a decision to switch on what people all over the country have to say. You need to look at where you use the device - where you live, work, travel, play, etc. and then check the service areas. Even the best customer service won't do you any good if you don't have an adequate signal.

I have had Cingular for several years now and have found their customer service and billing to be quite reasonable. I have had a couple issues of over charging and the like, but they have always been agreeable to do what is right and necessary. Quite unlike a past experience with Verizon however. If you treat them right, they will treat you right. If you come on strong and ***** and moan, then you will get that back one way or the other.

The new Cingular BIS rate of $29.99 for unlimited is close to what T-Mo offers I think. You may corect me if I am wrong, as I don't try to keep up on all the rates other carriers offer.

Lets just say that I am happy with Cingular and have no real reason to complain. My 8700c works great.

And one more thing, if you already have an 8700c, why not just unlock it rather than buy an 8700g and toss the "c". It is the same device.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Figment
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700C
Carrier: TMO

I've had only great experiences with TMO, I live in San Diego and coverage is great almost everywhere, I know that won't help you much as you're in New York but I have to say in the last two years I've been with them the customer service I've gotten is astonishing! They get right down to things and come off very friendly, on top of that while I've waited they've throw in little tidbits of information that have helped me in the future.

One such experience I had around a $500 bill and it was all in data overages,I knew that wasn't right, when I called I was off the phone within five minutes and everything was fixed.

Their lower prices and what I'd heard about their customer service is what brought me to them first, the only other carrier I'd ever switch to is Verizon and I had them for two years before TMO.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
phillyslickster

T-Mobile rate for unlimited data for bis is 19.99. It is 29.99 for bes and bis unlimited.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #10
phillyslickster

The 8700g does also offer more on it feature wise than the 8700c. I've used both. I've had the opportunity to try the 8700g and I really like it better than the 8700c.

Yes, coverage does matter where you live, work, and play. I've used my T-Mobile service in nyc and I haven't had any problem with service. I travel there quite often as well as up and down the east coast. My suggestion is to test the service out using a friend or co workers T-Mobile service on a weekend when there's unlimited minutes to use and travel around with it and see how it works for you.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM   #11
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment
I've had only great experiences with TMO, I live in San Diego and coverage is great almost everywhere, I know that won't help you much as you're in New York but I have to say in the last two years I've been with them the customer service I've gotten is astonishing! They get right down to things and come off very friendly, on top of that while I've waited they've throw in little tidbits of information that have helped me in the future.

One such experience I had around a $500 bill and it was all in data overages,I knew that wasn't right, when I called I was off the phone within five minutes and everything was fixed.

Their lower prices and what I'd heard about their customer service is what brought me to them first, the only other carrier I'd ever switch to is Verizon and I had them for two years before TMO.

in make a very interesting case for TMO ... i really like there style and what almost everyone has to say about them .... customer service is one of the most important things right next to signal quality and the like ... TMO hs very good prices , add good customer service and you got a winner .
Old 06-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
Matt195

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin654
i currently have an 8700c with cingular and while i love the 8700c i'm not that crazy about Cingular service . yes the signal is good and my BB service does its job , but bill and customer service plus paying more than Tmobile would charge for BB service unlimited isn't exactly great .

so with that said , in the NYC metro area and perhaps around the USA , canada , and wherever anyone wishes to comment on ... which service would give the better experience as far as general customer service , price , signal range , and overall " feel " ?????? i have seen threads ask similar questions but not related to NYC metro and not about T-mobile Vs. Cingular ... also i plan on going from 8700c to 8700g with T-mobile ... any thoughts from current 8700g users as to its overall quality and signal / performance with T-mobile ..... thankx in advance for your words of advice
I have had a 7290 with TMobile since November. I Live in Teaneck NJ and commute to the city. Up until about a month ago the TMoble service was OK in both areas. A little weak in NJ.

I got a post card a month ago saying that the service was being improved in the NYC metro area and ever since I have problems.

It is either completely off for hours at a time or a very strong signal. My biggest problem is that it is usually off while I am commuting which is when I need it most. I am tired of speaking to customer service. Onr Teck told me that tey were working on or reparing the system and it would be loke this for 2 mos.

anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM   #13
Matt195

Default TMobile in NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt195
I have had a 7290 with TMobile since November. I Live in Teaneck NJ and commute to the city. Up until about a month ago the TMoble service was OK in both areas. A little weak in NJ.

I got a post card a month ago saying that the service was being improved in the NYC metro area and ever since I have problems.

It is either completely off for hours at a time or a very strong signal. My biggest problem is that it is usually off while I am commuting which is when I need it most. I am tired of speaking to customer service. Onr Teck told me that tey were working on or reparing the system and it would be loke this for 2 mos.

anyone else have similar experiences?
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 PM   #14
djdanska
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

t-mobile coverage maps are at their personal coverage tool
http://compass.t-mobile.com
Just click no.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
bigboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdanska
t-mobile coverage maps are at their personal coverage tool
http://compass.t-mobile.com
Just click no.
That's pretty cool. I wish Cingular had something like that, although the coverage where I am in SF according to this map is suspiciously similar to what I'm seeing here in real life -- I guess we haven't had the Orange/Blue networks merged yet!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #16
billclark

Model: 8120
Carrier: AT&T

I suggest you try T-Mobular

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:22 PM   #17
tprime

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

I live and work in NYC. My signal coverage is fine all around the city. And I live in Queens but I'm in Brooklyn and Manhattan several times a week. Personally I have no coverage problems. My friend has cingular and as far as we can tell the only difference is that he pays way more than I do for data (until recent price drop) but cingular still costs more. If anyone tells you the coverage for cingular is better than tmobile in nyc don't believe it. The only carrier that seems to have better coverage in nyc is verizon and even that's debatable. So with coverage questions out of the way go with they superior cust service and cheaper price. Plus my opionin the 'g' looks better than the 'c'.

Last edited by tprime; 06-23-2006 at 09:25 PM..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:34 PM   #18
phillyslickster

I agree with you. I don't go to NYC a lot but I've never had an issue with T-Mobile coverage. I go there several times a year though and I haven't had any issues.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #19
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy
That's pretty cool. I wish Cingular had something like that,
Cingular does - it's just not available to the public. If you go to a Cingular corp store, the Rep can pull up a street-level map just like the T-Mobile website. I know it's not a convenient, but you can get it.

T-Mobile's billing accuracy and customer service are second to none in the United States. the trouble is getting the coverage and reception you need. And unlike cingular (or nextel) when you drop a signal you don't get intermittent dropouts. It just plain goes dead and stays dead. IMO. The 15 day trial period should be enough. For us the first thing to check is building pentration at both work and home. I find if you are in a building right on the boundary for low signal, the TMO blackberry will only work near the windows or outside.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:01 PM   #20
sunracer

Model: 8700G
Carrier: AT&T

I've been on T-Mobile for at least 7 years and I've got no complaints about the billing or customer service. I switched from BellSouth (now Cingular) and I hated BellSouth as their customer service was terrible and as a company they have a very low ability and interest in customer satisfaction.

That said, I live in Atlanta and have traveled all over the world using my phone and have had no problems until last week when I traveled to North Carolina for the first time in a couple years.

My 8700G found the Cingular network but couldn't login for hours. When it finally le tme make a call I couldn't access voice mail and my BIS service was offline. The service didn't recover until I was back in Atlanta for more than a day!

It gets better...when I called Tmo customer service to ask for help they checked their maps and finally just recommended that I consider switching services if I plan to travel to the Carolinas much! The cust service rep was very helpful and they were very direct in stating that they simply don't have any coverage in the Carolinas - a major chunk of the Southeast US.

Tmo coverage has always been a problem when I traveled around the US but this situation is completely unacceptable...I may be forced to switch to Cingular (I tried Verizon and MotoQ afew weeks ago and went running back to Tmo)...
Closed Thread