Default 1.0.3 is available

Please Login to Remove!

Just got the update!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Me too, at home where I don't have any units bound so I'll have to wait till I get into work to see what is new. Any reports of significant changes?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

So far I have noticed that from my device I can view other users phone logs, and browser logs. Also, when taking a picture, you now have the option to share with other Unite! users.

That's all I've seen for now.

Please try a Search
Old 10-07-2008, 04:15 AM   #4
drbongo

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell Mobility

My Unite has asked me if I wanted to update but then after the update it's still saying 1.0.2 Bundle 17 After checking on RIM's website I can't find version 1.0.3 ... weird!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

They have stripped the calendar functionality drastically. I would advise against upgrading to 1.0.3 unless you're forced to do so.

Previously, any events entered on the device was automatically pushed to other devices unless the event was marked Private. Now, in order to push events to other devices, you have to select the new event, hit the menu key, and select Share. Only then is the event pushed to other devices and each device receives an inbox-clogging notification that an event has been shared.

As was the case previously, events entered in the Unite! console are automatically pushed to all activated devices.

Why RIM made this move is beyond me. I seriously can not think of any reason whatsoever for this functionality to have been stripped and no one on the forums at BlackBerry seems to be offering any answers.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
BBSKIER

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

With the upgrade, I now receive a message from Unite about a calendar change/addition. I never had this before the upgrade is this a new function?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
hrbuckley

Well actually GDPmumin, the functionality you describe is exactly what the clients I have want. There was fierce dislike of the fact that one had to remember to mark a Dentists appointment private to keep everyone else from finding out about it.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Well actually GDPmumin, the functionality you describe is exactly what the clients I have want. There was fierce dislike of the fact that one had to remember to mark a Dentists appointment private to keep everyone else from finding out about it.
Someone's inability to remember to mark an event private seems to be more their own problem than grounds for crippling the entire purpose behind the software. The purpose of Unite! is to maintain wirelessly synchronized calendars and contacts. The new method is no better than wired synchronization. It requires too many steps, clogs the device's inbox with a new status message, and is not in any way intuitive. This is was a short-sighted move on RIM's part.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
hrbuckley

Well, you are of course entitled to your opinion. I suppose it depends on the relative quantity of private vs shared calendar. Just saying that FWIW there are five people here who like the new version more.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well, you are of course entitled to your opinion. I suppose it depends on the relative quantity of private vs shared calendar. Just saying that FWIW there are five people here who like the new version more.
It's not really an opinion as much as it is a fact of the way Unite! was designed to work in the first place. It's essentially now a brand new piece of software, with different functionality but the same name. I suppose it's within RIM's purview to do that, but it doesn't make any sense.

As a MS Word user, it wouldn't make any sense for the next version of Word to change from a word processor to an image editor. That's not what Word was designed to do. Unite! no longer does what it was designed to do.

And if your users have so many private appointments anyway, there are far better ways to skin that cat than to use a shared calendar.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
hrbuckley

Ok, first Unite! is more than just a shared calendar. There was nothing in the product brief I read that indicated a major design decision was to share the majority of calendar entries. In fact for the stated customer base, families and small businesses, I think the new semantics will satisfy more than it disappoints. The ability to share entries is still there, it just takes positive action to share them, rather than positive action to not share them. Since the vast majority of the entries I make in my calendar are, if not private, at least of no interest to the other people in my group, this change is an improvement for us. It is unfortunate that you don't like it, but saying that it is now a completely different product is an exaggeration.

It sounds like what you want is Google Sync. It only does calendars, and everyone with access to a calendar should get the updates.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 10-08-2008 at 12:25 PM..
Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Ok, first Unite! is more than just a shared calendar. There was nothing in the product brief I read that indicated a major design decision was to share the majority of calendar entries.
It is a shared calendar and contacts program. That's what it is supposed to be. That's why RIM built it: for the purpose of families and small offices to share a calendar (not just specific entries, but a calendar). The name of the software even gives away its original intent. It unites individuals through the use of a shared calendar and contacts.

Quote:
It sounds like what you want is Google Sync. It only does calendars, and everyone with access to a calendar should get the updates.
No, I want Unite! The version that worked. If I wanted to use Google Sync, I would use Google Sync. Unite! no longer unites; it puts hurdles in the way of the original purpose of the software.

I'm glad you're able to use it. But it sounds more like Google Sync would have been better for you. With Google, you already had the ability to have separate calendars that weren't synchronized elsewhere.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 PM   #13
anhvt13

Model: 8800
Carrier: TMobile

Who you know error?
BlackBerry Unite! registration is not available at this time.

I use BlackBerry 8800 app: 4.5.0.81 (108)
Closed Thread