pokey
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Using Wifi on 8320 in Toronto, Canada

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Just picked up an 8320 and unlocked it for use on the Rogers network in Toronto. My question is regarding Wifi connection. I connect to my home signal and besides "Rogers" on the main screen I see my network name and the Wifi logo is present on the home screen. Does this guarantee me that I am on Wifi and thus not being charged the silly data rate for Rogers? (I don't have a data plan with them). The reason I am asking is that in the literature that the 8320 comes with it says that the battery signal indicator should turn into a different icon during Wifi use (or maybe that is just with UMA). Can someone assist? Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #2
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:53 PM..
Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
The signal strength indicator will only change if you are using UMA. If you are only connected to a wireless network the Wi-Fi symbol next to the signal bars will be brighter versus greyed out if you're not connected to a wireless network.

Launch your Browser on the device, press the Menu key and change the default browser to Wi-Fi Browser then stop and restart the Browser and you should be fine.

Dave

Thanks I changed the default browser to Wifi but when the Wifi radio is on, the Wifi symbol is always present and when I turn it off it goes away. It doesn't gray out. I just wanna be 100% sure that I am using Wifi as I do not have a data plan and don't wanna pay Rogers silly costs for pay per use.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
sgtcasey

Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:52 PM..
Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
If you have Wi-Fi enabled then the Wi-Fi icon will always be there. If it is greyed out then you're not connected to a wireless network. If it's brighter then you are connected. You should also see the name of the wireless network (the SSID) you are connected to.

For example, my router has an SSID of TheHouse. So under the date/time on my 8320 I have "T-Mobile - TheHouse".

Dave

Hmmm strange ya the icon is always kinda greyed out when it is on. However, under the date and time it says "Rogers - home" which is the name of my wireless connection. Can I be sure I am on wifi and not paying? Any other ways to confirm? Thanks for your time.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
pokey

Also, when I scan for networks it actually says "sonnected" in the signal for my house but the wifi icon is still greyed out on the main screen, even though it says "rogers - home" underneath the time and date.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #7
kasperapd

Carrier: AT&T

I believe it will stay greyed out if it does not have a connection to the BlackBerry Network. If you want to test out your data, you could always try going to Options > Mobile Network, and then set your connection preference to WiFi Only. It will shut off the Rogers Network and only connect via WiFi... at least that's my understanding

Please try a Search
Old 10-24-2007, 08:17 AM   #8
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasperapd View Post
I believe it will stay greyed out if it does not have a connection to the BlackBerry Network. If you want to test out your data, you could always try going to Options > Mobile Network, and then set your connection preference to WiFi Only. It will shut off the Rogers Network and only connect via WiFi... at least that's my understanding
Hmmm that's a good point. However, when I do that it turns the device to OFF in red letters up beside where the signal indicator is, and it won't let me connect to the net, saying that it is not available. I have my Wifi connected. the mystery continues.

Last edited by pokey; 10-24-2007 at 08:18 AM..
Old 10-24-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
Hmmm that's a good point. However, when I do that it turns the device to OFF in red letters up beside where the signal indicator is, and it won't let me connect to the net, saying that it is not available. I have my Wifi connected. the mystery continues.
This leads me to believe that the wifi feature will only work if you have a data plan on your device already. At least maybe that's the case in Toronto on the Rogers network. Could this be?
Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
cschrage

Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey View Post
This leads me to believe that the wifi feature will only work if you have a data plan on your device already. At least maybe that's the case in Toronto on the Rogers network. Could this be?
Yes, It really sounds like a data provisoning issue....contact Rogers.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #11
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschrage View Post
Yes, It really sounds like a data provisoning issue....contact Rogers.
And, of course, Rogers will not provide support as it is not a Rogers phone. What a joke. I knew this would be the case anyways. The only thing they can do is sell me a data plan. BS
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
dc5hatch

Model: 8820

should of got a iphone :p
Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #13
glassrover
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Default wi-fi on rogers

hey pokey.. i just got a 8320 and using it on rogers.. i'll keep ya posted on my findings.. i have data plan with rogers (painful!) and wi-fi connection in my home works like wild-fire.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #14
WYN? Inc.

Glassrover how did you get it working? I have an 8320 and on Rogers with a data plan, but the wifi icon stays grey even though it shows I'm connected to my wireless at home.

Any suggestions? Anything would help.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
glassrover
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800

i terminated the 'data big-dollars plan', and i'm still able to get wifi ok, but i'm having some other snags... cant update viigo on wifi... cant configure Yahoo Go... dont know why . Can still go to other links for updates like BBC etc.
Closed Thread