Old 09-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile 2001-2007, AT&T 8/26/07 ->
Default Keeping gmail or another service as backup

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone have any way of keeping e-mails off-device for archival and back up purposes. I can probably keep about 300 or so e-mails on my device before it starts deleting them, but I was thinking maybe I can setup gmail to keep copy of all of my POP3 e-mails (my company e-mail) so I can just use gmail for blackberry and be able to check e-mails from last month, last year or whenever without occupying space on my device. Is this possible?
I am using BIS.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Do you use Outlook? Just keep them there or have them download to your home PC. I have a PC here in the office capturing all of my business email in separate folders using rules. I just go in every so often and delete the stuff I don't need/want and it saves everything to an archive.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't help me on my device.
I use outlook but that's keeping all of my e-mails on the laptop, I needed an alternative way of remotely storing my e-mails, where I can access from my blackberry and search.

I have Gmail account with another setup, and it is very convenient for me to just login to gmail and check my old e-mails without worrying about space on the phone memory.

Maybe I would have to ask my boss to access to e-mail control panel and set it up to forward a copy of all of my e-mails to gmail address, that might help, probably. But is there a script for gmail maybe to grab e-mails from external pop and store them there?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyedipin View Post
I use outlook but that's keeping all of my e-mails on the laptop, I needed an alternative way of remotely storing my e-mails, where I can access from my blackberry and search.
How do you intend to access the gmail "archive" that you're thinking of? Using the gmail app?
Old 09-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

It would be simple to use an email account like GMail, not set up on your Blackberry, to store messages by forwarding them from your BB to GMail. You can have anything you send get bcc-ed to gmail. As for incoming stuff, I don't know if you can do it with a rule or if you'd have to manually forward each email.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
myk.dinis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T - 8120/8310, Sprint - 8830

I covered this recently (month ago or so)....

Create a gmail account that says what it is... [email address]

auto bcc and auto forward all mail to that address from your carriers BIS site...

If BES, you have to set up Auto-BCC and Auto Forward in Outlook or in your works exchange server...No Exchange? there's always an option to forward in the email server somewhere...

Good luck...

Myk
Old 09-12-2008, 02:43 AM   #7
hyedipin
CrackBerry Addict

Well, I found out that gmail now has "POP RETRIEVE" so it actually acts as outlook itself. So I gave my pop info to gmail, and now gmail is picking up e-mail every 5-10 minutes.
On the other hand, I told my Outlook to keep mails on the server after retrieving them for 1 day. During which I can still get all the e-mails on my Blackberry and also Gmail can keep a copy.
I regularly delete e-mails from Blackberry, but any given time I can use gmail mobile and search for e-mails like an archive and still be able to forward to myself or actually use that account to reply.. It was that easy.

VERY EASY.