Old 06-28-2007, 11:11 PM   #1
abrown

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telstra
Default Installing Software Configuration (Google Maps) OTA vai BES

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I am trying to get GoogleMaps installed onto a Blackberry 8800 via our BES. I have setup the Software Configuration for Google Maps and assigned the configuration to the device. The following is now showing on the Device/User summary:

Configuration Name: GoogleMaps
Status Check Time: 29/06/2007 1:35:27 PM
Configuration Status: OK
System Update: Up To Date
Application Status: Install Required
Software Upgradeable: False

So it seems as though the configuration status is ok but it desn't push the install out to the device. This is the first time I tried to deploy applications via software configurations OTA so I may very well be trying to do something that I can't however if someone could explain a little more how to do this I would appreciate the help.

What does Install Required mean? Do I need to install Google Maps onto the device via Desktop Manager. My understanding is that I shouldn't have to and that it can be done OTA.

Thanks.

Adam.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The Application Status of "Install Required" is exactly that. The BB does does not have the application installed. You should be aware that it can take up to 4hrs to install OTA.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 PM   #3
jeffc68

Model: 8700
Carrier: Verizon

Make sure you have a new device.xml file.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

In order to give you a bit of an idea when your four hours will be up, have a look at the POLC log file. You should see

RequestHandler::PollForMissingApps: Starting Poll For Missing Apps.

every four hours. Normally it'll be followed by

RequestHandler::PollForMissingApps: Completed Poll For Missing Apps, elapsed time 0 seconds.

(meaning that there was nothing to do).

However, if there is something to send, you'll see something like

RequestHandler::PollForMissingApps: Queuing the package YOURAPPLICATION, consisting of X modules in Y parts.

The next time that the poll takes place will be 4 hours after the last one, unless you change the registry as described here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...tion-push.html
(which includes some pretty serious caveats about decreasing the poll interval too much!).
Old 07-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #5
abrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc68 View Post
Make sure you have a new device.xml file.
I have checked my device.xml file and it includes a line for my device (an 8800) with my hardware id (0x84000E03) so it seems to be correct.

Re the 4 hrs it has now been 4 days and nothing. I checked the log and the PollForMissingApps is occuring but it Completes in the 0 Seconds as you indicated without finding anything. So it appears it is not trying to install GoogleApps OTA which is what I want to happen.

Any further ideas on things to check would be great.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
abrown

I figured it out. I rechecked the Software Configuration and I had the Delivery set to wireline only rather than wireless. Once I changed it to wireless within about 20 mins I had google maps on my phone.

Next question (may be off thread) is how can you tell if an application (such as google maps is getting its data via the BES server (and hence no extra cost) or via the phones normal internet connection? Obviously if I can set everything up to go via the BES MDS server I would prefer it as my understanding is that it is then transmitted via your blackberry phone plan rather than the standard phone internet connection and hence doesn't cost extra. Or have I got that all wrong?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers

Going through the same process as you. Created my software configuration with Google Maps and just waiting for it to be pushed to my device OTA.

My software configuration only had Google Maps enabled as Wireless Delivery but none of the other handheld code was enabled. Does that mean the BES will do a check against my device and remove the features that weren't checked on? (memos, tasks, etc)?? Just wanted to know if it would remove anything by doing a compare now that I finally created and assigned a software configuration to myself. Technically, it shouldn't matter because it's delivery is set to Wireline, correct?
Old 07-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-mobile

If Google maps is the only software you are pushing, that's the only thing that will be installed. Memos and tasks are not controlled by software config.
BES 4.1
Old 07-26-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
mjoyce

Carrier: Optus

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrown View Post
I figured it out. I rechecked the Software Configuration and I had the Delivery set to wireline only rather than wireless. Once I changed it to wireless within about 20 mins I had google maps on my phone.

Next question (may be off thread) is how can you tell if an application (such as google maps is getting its data via the BES server (and hence no extra cost) or via the phones normal internet connection? Obviously if I can set everything up to go via the BES MDS server I would prefer it as my understanding is that it is then transmitted via your blackberry phone plan rather than the standard phone internet connection and hence doesn't cost extra. Or have I got that all wrong?
Have you been able to determine if the traffic can be routed via MDS ?
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
dropscience
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Rogers

The only reason I asked about the components (memos, tasks, etc) was that the other applications were listed when I created a new software configuration. Within that list were checkboxes for the different handheld codes installed on the BES server. Of course, I didn't checkbox any of them and only checkboxed the Google Maps. As well, the handheld code is not currently able to push wireless and only wireline. Thanks for clarifying though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladydi View Post
If Google maps is the only software you are pushing, that's the only thing that will be installed. Memos and tasks are not controlled by software config.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #11
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscience View Post
The only reason I asked about the components (memos, tasks, etc) was that the other applications were listed when I created a new software configuration. Within that list were checkboxes for the different handheld codes installed on the BES server. Of course, I didn't checkbox any of them and only checkboxed the Google Maps. As well, the handheld code is not currently able to push wireless and only wireline. Thanks for clarifying though!
I see what you mean now. yes, only the app that you check will be applied for that particular software config.
BES 4.1
Closed Thread