BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 02-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #61
awandkk

Model: 7520
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
-0- days if you intend on staying in compliance with your license agreement.

RIM changed how they named their licenses from BESX35 to just BESCAL; thats all.
What is the compliant process to migrate to a new BES server on a different platform.

My reasoning for the temporary use of licenses on multiple servers was relying on the fact that all the users will be migrated or removed from the Notes BES and I will move the licenses over to the Exchange BES. In essence removing the Notes BES within a couple months.

I have a feeling that if we were "required" to purchase more licenses for a migration, BES would be phased out instead. Money would be spent on new "Mobile" devices.
Thoughts?
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #62
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Contact your carrier / RIM representative. They are the only people that can give you the legal information you require.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #63
r00n

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone NL

Could someone explain to me what I can add on a BlackBerry Professional Software Express?

You get one free licence with the download from the RIM site. This should be a BPSX licence as Vodafone told me. Which change to a SBE or BES Licence at the moment you add another CAL.

Can I add SBE and BES CALs on a BPSX at the same time?
Can I add a BES CAL without any problems?
Does the SBE CALs change to Full BES CALs when doing an upgrade?

Hope that someone can make this clear to me... I can't find information about this on the Internet and the mobile provider isn't sure about their answers.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:52 AM   #64
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

OK, you get one free with the SRP, and space for more.

You can only add 1 user and 5 user CAL's to BPSX.

If you purchase an update key, all your CAL's will change to full enterprise edition.

Adding CAL's is simple, you do it through your license manager and don't have to reboot or restart services.

Last edited by hdawg; 02-25-2008 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: spelling correction :)
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #65
r00n

Will it tell me that the key is invalid at the moment I try to add a full bes licence? I heard some different stories and I don't know which one is true.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:41 AM   #66
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

If you try to add an invalid license it will tell you when you attempt to enter it.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:16 AM   #67
r00n

I understand that. The problem is that I don't add the CALs myself but it is the customer who will try it. I don't want customer try things I should try myself. Is there someone who tried to add a full CAL to a BPSX
Old 02-25-2008, 08:33 AM   #68
awandkk

Model: 7520
Carrier: Sprint

Thank you for your quick responses, hdawg. I will contact RIM and post what I find out.

Last edited by awandkk; 02-25-2008 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: informational
Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #69
MrTelephoneMan13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Quick question for some of you BES admins. If a user has 'pending messages' sitting on the server; how can you push those messages to their BB device?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:54 AM   #70
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: .
Carrier: .

Quote:
Quick question for some of you BES admins. If a user has 'pending messages' sitting on the server; how can you push those messages to their BB device?
You can't. The device is probably switched off or experiencing a network issue. One it regains this it should filter the messages through.

This isn't really the right thread to be covering this problem, so if you still experience issues later I suggest you start a new thread in the BESAdmin subforum.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #71
hayabusa
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Cingular
Smile

RIM also now has the option to obtain an enterprise site license. What this means is that they give you a CAL key that can be placed on each instance of bes server you have that unlocks your CAL manager. You then take screen shots of your CAL manager on a fiscal basis and true up license if you need to. We have just currently moved to the Enterprise Site license since we were growing at about 130 users per month. The only stipulation is that you must have already purchased 1000 cal from them and be on 4.1.2 or greater. The purchase includeds an additional SRP instance as well
Old 03-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #72
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa View Post
RIM also now has the option to obtain an enterprise site license. What this means is that they give you a CAL key that can be placed on each instance of bes server you have that unlocks your CAL manager. You then take screen shots of your CAL manager on a fiscal basis and true up license if you need to. We have just currently moved to the Enterprise Site license since we were growing at about 130 users per month. The only stipulation is that you must have already purchased 1000 cal from them and be on 4.1.2 or greater. The purchase includeds an additional SRP instance as well
Is anyone currently using this model? We use this in our hosted environments where we have 10,000 user CALs ... but it isn't unlimited. We have several customers that could benefit from this.

Any public information posted on this?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #73
K_NAPP

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I am planning on bringing up a second BES for disaster recovery in VM. Since I will have a second server available, I am also planning on using it for load balancing, if I've got it I might as well use it. My question is... Can I have two BES sharing one license file dynamically? Or to rephrase... Can I manage all the same licenses from BOTH BES in one place? I have enterprise BES with seperate SQL DB, about 500 users. BES is working great at the moment, load balancing not probalby necessary but what the heck.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #74
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_NAPP View Post
I am planning on bringing up a second BES for disaster recovery in VM. Since I will have a second server available, I am also planning on using it for load balancing, if I've got it I might as well use it. My question is... Can I have two BES sharing one license file dynamically? Or to rephrase... Can I manage all the same licenses from BOTH BES in one place? I have enterprise BES with seperate SQL DB, about 500 users. BES is working great at the moment, load balancing not probalby necessary but what the heck.
What version of BES are you using?

By license to you mean SRP or CAL? You need an SRP for each active server connected to RIMs NOC. CALs can be shared in a common configuration database.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM   #75
K_NAPP

Model: 9700

Running Enterprise Edition ver 4.1.4.26. The question was in reference to CAL's. You've answered my question though. Thanks! That will make things a lot easier. Since I've already got a SQL DB running, is there anything I need to do to get the CAL's shared or is that just by default?
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #76
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_NAPP View Post
Running Enterprise Edition ver 4.1.4.26. The question was in reference to CAL's. You've answered my question though. Thanks! That will make things a lot easier. Since I've already got a SQL DB running, is there anything I need to do to get the CAL's shared or is that just by default?
You just need to make sure when you add any additional BES it connects to that database; it'll see the licenses and use them.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:54 AM   #77
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

FYI: I thought this might be a useful link - - I had an issue where I entered SBE licenses during a migration and wanted to use Enterprise licenses instead on the new server:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...licensing.html

i.e. - you don't need the expensive update key to use your enterprise CALs - just so that you remove the SBE CALs in order for it to work.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #78
RunCrashBoy

PIN: bad touch = uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWater View Post
You don't need any Microsoft licensing to support users on Research In Motion software.

Besides, any user you add to the BES is already a user in the Windows environment.

If MS tries to pass of licensing for BES users, they are conning you.
I think we're buying them. Where can I read more about this?
Old 04-21-2008, 02:10 PM   #79
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunCrashBoy View Post
I think we're buying them. Where can I read more about this?
Buying what?
Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM   #80
Grundignz

Model: 8100
PIN: 2524DD22
Carrier: Vodafone NZ
Default Licensing Question

We are currently running one BES 4.1.4 server with about 200 users talking to 2 different exchange servers we are now looking at implementing a second BES server local to the second exchange server rather than across the WAN.

Each server will have its own local database.
I want to be able to remove the CAL's from the first server and add them to the second server as we migrate some of the users across. Do we need to buy another license for the second BES?