Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)
Default Storm with slide out keyboard

Please Login to Remove!

didn't RIM file for such a patent a while back. I think i am the only one who is looking forward to such a device.
If it has wifi!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

I don't recall that.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

I do remember seeing a patent application for such a configuration. But many applications are never acted on. I'd love to see a touch screen with a convertible keyboard!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:02 PM   #4
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
I do remember seeing a patent application for such a configuration. But many applications are never acted on. I'd love to see a touch screen with a convertible keyboard!
So get the Google phone. It has both!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #5
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
Pffft! That ain't no Berry

I don't know if I'd use it... I'm just saying I'd like to see it
Old 09-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Google doesn't make a phone. Google is part of a consortium which makes an SDK known as Android.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

This patent.
BlackBerry: Touchscreen Blackberry Patent Suggests RIM has SideKick-Envy
Old 09-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Sidekick envy? Please.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
Donbp

Model: 9700

Maybe HTC Touch Pro envy would be more appropriate.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
daseff
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I would be really interested in seeing that... I like the idea of touch screen phones but after having an LG Dare, I've given up on Verizon's poor attempts at competing with the iPhone, and went with a Curve - best decision yet! A touch screen BB with slide out keyboard would be a step in the right direction, as a full touch screen BB (Storm) just doesn't seem right to me...
Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
fiffer

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

It is still a great idea to have a keyboard on a phone, even with the touchscreen mania spreading everywhere, because you could type faster with it and you would have a difficult time in making SMS or emailing.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
alejandro1

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon
Default Please-Strom with slideout keyboard/cursor keys

I've had my Storm for about 5 weeks now, and would like to share my likes, dislikes and suggestions for RIMM when developing my "dream" unit.

Pros:

-fantastic screen size and resolution.

-perfect size and weight for entire unit.

Cons:

-the onscreen keyboard. A great idea that renders the unit more of a novelity than a productive function. It will never be as usable as a hard keyboard. The worst part of not having a hard keyboard is the absense of directional cursor keys, or trackball. Trying to relocate the cursor using the onscreen keyboard is almost useless. In my opinion the onscreen keyboard outweighs all the other great advantages of the Storm. I have all but given up using the Storm to input information and have resorted to carrying a small notebook and pen.

-the unit is slow. When clicking on Unlock, I have to wait about 3 seconds before the keyboard appears allowing me to enter my password. This is in additon to the very noticable lag when using the camera, and other features such as viewing my existing photos. The iPhone is much, much faster when scrolling through photos and other functions.

-------

My dream unit would be the Storm but with a slide out keyboard which includes directional cursor keys. Although I imagine they could develope such a unit by adding ony about 30% more thickness to the unit, I would gladly accept a unit that was up to 50-100% thicker. That is how much I hate the onscreen keyboard and the lack of directional cursor keys. Also, I'd be willing to pay more for a much faster processor.

Hopefully, many others share my thoughts and together we can encourage RIMM to develope such a device.

One more thing: In my opinion, DocumentsToGo is almost worthless and a barbaric step backward when compared to the convenience that Windows Mobile provides, such as automatic syncing without having to hunt and drag files. Also the ability for automatic bi-directional syncing. Either RIMM needs to come to an agreement with Microsoft to allow this feature on RIMM products or DataViz needs to catch up to Microsoft.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #13
GrandMstrBud

Model: 9780
PIN: 2075BBB4
Carrier: Carrier

I think that would be the ultimate blackberry by having a slide out keyboard. Something similar to the HTC Touch Pro maybe. I have the HTC Touch and I can't stand typing on the screen so I would never go with the Storm just for that reason.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Played with the G1 the other day. Its pretty cool. Its sleeker then other slider phones I have seen and it also has a track ball. I think Android needs another year or so before I would consider it. The G1 would also be better if it wasn't on TMO.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
btdown
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'll be all over this slider when it drops.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
six attack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

Check out the Palm Pre, it has a touch screen and a slide out keyboard. This phone (just unveiled at CES) looks to be the true iPhone killer. However, the critical flaw is that is is exclusive to terrible, terrible Sprint.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
WhizzledBlury
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

That is berry hot... I'd drop the $ for it in a heart beat.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #18
AgTitan06
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro1 View Post
My dream unit would be the Storm but with a slide out keyboard which includes directional cursor keys. Although I imagine they could develope such a unit by adding ony about 30% more thickness to the unit, I would gladly accept a unit that was up to 50-100% thicker. That is how much I hate the onscreen keyboard and the lack of directional cursor keys. Also, I'd be willing to pay more for a much faster processor.
Actually, I would think by the time RIM develops that sort of phone, technology advancements would allow it to be similar thickness to the current Storm. I personally can't wait for this type of phone.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Agree with all these posts -- something like a Storm with a slide-out keyboard would be perfect -- so long as they kept it thin, and hopefully come up with a keyboard that still retains the kind of feel, key travel and tactile response that a Curve keyboard has. I personally find the G1 keyboard a bit too shallow after being used to the Curve.

I suspect a really good touch screen / keyboard combo BB is quite a ways off, so I'll probably be picking up an 8900 for the moment when it comes to T-Mo next month. Maybe the touch/keyboard hybrid will then follow before I have to replace the 8900...

- Jon
Old 01-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #20
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandro1 View Post
I've had my Storm for about 5 weeks now, and would like to share my likes, dislikes and suggestions for RIMM when developing my "dream" unit.

Pros:

-fantastic screen size and resolution.

-perfect size and weight for entire unit.

Cons:

-the onscreen keyboard. A great idea that renders the unit more of a novelity than a productive function. It will never be as usable as a hard keyboard. The worst part of not having a hard keyboard is the absense of directional cursor keys, or trackball. Trying to relocate the cursor using the onscreen keyboard is almost useless. In my opinion the onscreen keyboard outweighs all the other great advantages of the Storm. I have all but given up using the Storm to input information and have resorted to carrying a small notebook and pen.

-the unit is slow. When clicking on Unlock, I have to wait about 3 seconds before the keyboard appears allowing me to enter my password. This is in additon to the very noticable lag when using the camera, and other features such as viewing my existing photos. The iPhone is much, much faster when scrolling through photos and other functions.

-------

Hopefully, many others share my thoughts and together we can encourage RIMM to develope such a device.

Thanks for listening.
I couldn't agree more with the above. I tried the Storm for about 1/2 a day. The onscreen KB drove me NUTS!

The "click" sounds cool til you try it. I ended up putting it on the shelf and went back to using my Bold.

The only time the storm comes off the shelf is when one of my users walks in with a storm question.

I have a Dev G1 and I love the form factor and all of the inputs on the darn thing. It's just too bad that the email support stinks for anything other than Gmail. I would have seriously considered dumping the BlackBerry for the G1 had corporate email been supported.

I've also tried the HTC Touch Pro (Fuze) I like it alot too, but M$ OS is so much slower than the BlackBerry OS. It's sad, but I have never found a mobile phone based on a M$ OS actually usable.

Please develop a slider KB RIM!!!