BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Danny_Larouche
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a
Default enterprise activation - long long time

Please Login to Remove!

I am activating a handheld, the email/password has been entered in the unit, then i am stuck with a "activating..." message on the unit since 15min.

Normal?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
alm1

Model: 7100

Sometimes it does sit there for a long time especially if the server is busy.
I would check whether you have the email address correct and that the password is also correct. If it is i find a hard reset will tend to kick the process along, or even just cancelling and restarting the activation. Also sometimes just re-entering the password on the BES works for me too...
Old 01-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

If the restarts that alm1 don't work, you could try wiping the device and remove/re-add on the BES and try it again. I had to do this just this morning for a 7520 and it worked like a charm.

If I get a particularly cranky device, I will walk thru the 'old-fashioned' sync (syncing prior to BES 4.0) and then do the Enterprise Activation. Usually when I do the sync, I'll get the message that the encryption key is out of date, and that is probably what was holding up the EA. I just don't have any patience
Old 01-16-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
Danny_Larouche

After a while i got a "server is not responding..." message on the handheld. When i take a look to user`s mailbox, i see 2 emails from blackberry with an attached dat file that seem involved in activation. But apparently they have been ignored by BES. It look like it use smtp (email) as protocol for activation... not a very professional design for a $2k product!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Danny_Larouche

Trying to overcomes the problem i decided to use USB activation instead or wireless one. When i click "assign handheld to this user" option, i give the following message:

"... handheld not yet known to the blackberry agent,... " This is not what this option is supposed to do?

BES, what`s a nightmare!!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
Danny_Larouche

I have a unit that "apparently" is registred on BES (its status is now "running"). How can i verify if the email still relayed by desktop application or really managed by BES?

Email deleted on the handheld are not deleted on Outlook... i doubt that there is something suspicious. I can't see any "network mode" or properties on the handheld that confirm it now belong to BES instead of the desktop app.

My second question is about another unit. This one already have an email assigned by BB themselves. The user would like to keep this email working after the unit it linked to the BES. Is it possible, or BES activation will wipe this settings ?
Old 01-16-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Larouche
I have a unit that "apparently" is registred on BES (its status is now "running"). How can i verify if the email still relayed by desktop application or really managed by BES?
You can look at User Stats on the users in the BES mgmnt console to see if mail is flowing. The fact it says "running" also tells you that.

Quote:
Email deleted on the handheld are not deleted on Outlook... i doubt that there is something suspicious. I can't see any "network mode" or properties on the handheld that confirm it now belong to BES instead of the desktop app.
Wireless reconcile must be turned on. On the device, go to messages and options and then Email Reconciliation. You can customize your settings their. Point 2, here, you can go to Options on the device and then security. at the bottom of the window that opens, you will Services and Desktop with some number in brackets. The numbers should coincide with your SRP key. This also lets you know the device is on the BES.

Quote:
My second question is about another unit. This one already have an email assigned by BB themselves. The user would like to keep this email working after the unit it linked to the BES. Is it possible, or BES activation will wipe this settings ?
Wireless activation shouldn't wipe those settings but if it does, all they have to do is get back on thier BIS site and resend the service books after they get connected to your BES.

You have a lot of different issues in this thread and most have been answered before in this forum. You might get immediate answers if you search a little first next time.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #8
Thecurnyl

Quote:
After a while i got a "server is not responding..." message on the handheld. When i take a look to user`s mailbox, i see 2 emails from blackberry with an attached dat file that seem involved in activation. But apparently they have been ignored by BES. It look like it use smtp (email) as protocol for activation... not a very professional design for a $2k product!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:27 PM   #9
Thecurnyl

I had this problem once before. The message your seeing with the attached dat file is a message with the encrypted activation password sent from the device. The BES server is suppose to grab this message. I solved this for a user by simply removing and re-adding their BES account. The BES server was able to grab the message upon the user next attempt to activate.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #10
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Default Does the user's mail database ACL include BES as the manager?

Hi,

Does the user's mail database ACL include BES as the manager?

noname
Old 01-17-2006, 02:26 AM   #11
boma0021

Model: Pearl

Check if your smtp server edit the mails from RIM. e.g. adding a spaminfo or virusinfo in the subject ([Viruschecked]...) in that case the BES will not pick the activation mails.
Just delet the added information and save the document the bes will then remove the documents out of the mail box.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #12
Danny_Larouche

noname: What do you mean by "does the user`s mail db acl include BES as the manager?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Danny_Larouche

BOMA0021: Do you mean that theses email should not appear in the mailbox/Outlook when correctly proceed by BES? If they do, it is an indication of a problem?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
Danny_Larouche

Is there a way to use USB cable to activate a unit instead of using wirelessly sent emails?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
udontknowjack

Quote:
Is there a way to use USB cable to activate a unit instead of using wirelessly sent emails?
Sure, just install Desktop Manger on the users PC and connect the old fashioned way. As long as their is a mapi profile to connect to the user's mailbox and they are on the BES, It should work just fin.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:13 AM   #16
udontknowjack

Quote:
BOMA0021: Do you mean that theses email should not appear in the mailbox/Outlook when correctly proceed by BES? If they do, it is an indication of a problem?
They should not stay in the mailbox if it works correctly. Those messages are what the BB sends to the email address supplied when doing an EA, The BES picks them up and uses the information to get activated and then deletes the emails from Outlook. On a normal EA, those messages only stay in the mailbox for a few seconds.
I would try what was suggested before and remove the user completely from the BES and readd them and try again, quite frankly.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #17
Danny_Larouche

Udontknowjack: I removed the user and re-added to the manager, i will try the activation again using the same password.

For the USB, i tried yerterday to use the handheld manager on my Server. Each time it gave me "this handheld is not yet know to BES..." or something like this.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:59 AM   #18
Danny_Larouche

Content filtering and A/V security has been disabled on the network and on the exchange server but it still ignore activation email sent by the BB unit.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
only1eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-mobile

Was the BB on a BIS at one time? (T-mobile is bad with this)

If so you need to call t-mobile and tell them to get you to RIM to have the PIN of the BB removed.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #20
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

What version of BES are you using?

Doug
Closed Thread