BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 09:49 PM   #1
NitruS
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7280
Carrier: Rogers
Default There must be a way...(having Gmail on POP to outlook, synching with BB)

Please Login to Remove!

Just wondering,

Currently I use forwarding options to get my GMAIL to come directly to my BB.

But there must be a way to:
1) receive gmail via pop to outlook (i know this can be done)
2) then also synch outlook with the bb (so that when deleting emails and such on my bb they delete in outlook as well)
NOTE: Via push instant email (not 15 minute delay)

Is this impossible? I have done numerous searches and have not encountered anyone doing this...Anyone have a step-by-step on doing this?

There must overall be a way of getting outlook to send to your bb and sync things...I hope so at least!

THanks!
Old 05-15-2006, 10:03 PM   #2
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (VZW 7130e: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The three ways to get your e-mail to your BB are: 1) forward, 2) use BIS to poll your e-mail accounts, or 3) use BES, either corporate or hosted.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 AM   #3
NitruS

Thanks gdpmumin and I have read that. But I was being more specific in that I was wondering if it was possible to:

1) have gmail received by outlook via pop (which is definitely possible)
2) then have it sent to my bb from outlook and sync my bb with outlook - if so, does anyone have a step-by-step on how to set this up?

THanks.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
gdpmumin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (VZW 7130e: BlackBerry7130e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The method you're looking to use does not fit the three I outlined in my earlier post. So I'll be more specific: no, there is no way to do what you're looking to do.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
phetish phil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: m

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitruS
But there must be a way to:
1) receive gmail via pop to outlook (i know this can be done)
2) then also synch outlook with the bb (so that when deleting emails and such on my bb they delete in outlook as well)
NOTE: Via push instant email (not 15 minute delay)
1. Yes. Enable POP access and set up Outlook to retrieve from POP source
2. No. BIS 2.0 will sync with OWA & IMAP to a limited degree but not with a mailclient / POP server
3. If your email is forwarded rather than polled you're not referencing back to the originating mail server so even if it was IMAP then it wouldn't work any way since deleted items would refer to hosted mailbox you are forwarding too and not the originating mail server all assuming this is done under bis 2.0 and my run on sentence hasn't run on for quite long enough.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #6
NitruS

Thanks phetish phil.

So, how do companies do it then? Where they have their people out in the field. And when they plug in their BB it syncs the mail with Outlook?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitruS
Thanks phetish phil.

So, how do companies do it then? Where they have their people out in the field. And when they plug in their BB it syncs the mail with Outlook?

They use BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which costs money to run. You can pay a third party to host BES for you or you can stick with BIS for free but not have the reconciliation.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:10 AM   #8
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Found a thread describing how to do 3rd party BES:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=50

Here is a website by Stinsondog ( a member of this forum) that will show you how to use Gmail to do all you want to do except reconcile:
http://home.comcast.net/~tamsterra/OP/Gmail.htm

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 05-16-2006 at 08:41 AM..
Old 05-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
NitruS

Thank you so much johnfromphilly...That post was awesome regarding BES...

I wonder if it will at all be possible to have free BES (i.e. MDS) someday!

:(
Old 05-16-2006, 01:56 PM   #10
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

You are welcome. I don't know if you caught it but you can do everythng you want, except reconcile, by using Gmail via the instructions above or the new ones I just switched to listed here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=35040
Old 05-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #11
NitruS

hey johnfromphilly,

thanks SO much for your help you'are awesome...buttt those instructions you gave me dont include outlook, could you please provide instructions as to do this so i can sync email via outlook?

i.e. i already get my gmail to my blackberry fine...and can reply back from it fine too...

thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Just go into outlook ( I use Outlook Express) and set it up to POP your gmail account. You must be sure that you are keeping a copy on your gmail account after it is forwarded to BB. I have Outlook poll Gmail every minute and get all my Gmail in Oultook. I have multiple addresses that are forwarded to Gmail and are distributed to both the BB and outlook .

Instructions on how to set up POP are in Gmail under "forwarding and Pop".

You use the word "sync"--this is not a sync- you cannot reconcile using BIS. This setup allows your Gmail to be instantly sent to BB and pop'd by outlook.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Zro
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800

There is one option here that I'll toss out but not explain fully (because it's not supported) so don't worry about asking about it.

If you have an Exchange server, you can use the desktop redirector....using the desktop redirector will enable you to reconcile email via desktop manager. So...you have Outlook set to POP your Gmail and deliver to your Exchange mailbox (Please note, redirector does not work without Exchange with a few exceptions that are one off deals). Redirector sees the new mail in your Exchange mailbox and sends it to your BB. You delete on BB, connect to USB, reconcile email via the wire. Ta-da!

And yes folks, this will work, I had it set up to play around....the key is to set up your Exchange account, then add in your POP account so that it's delivered to your Exchange mailbox instead of a .pst.

Zro
Closed Thread