BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
lithboy

Default advanced newbie questions - promise to be interesting

Please Login to Remove!

i am a software engineer coming from a SE t610 and i love the blackberry. however, here are the things that i can't figure out on my own, or searching this forum hasn't helped with:

* why do i get weird mail in my IMAP and exchange accounts with attachment from [email address]? i can't tell where the hell they're coming from, and only know that they seem to be some metadata being funneled to the blackberry via my mail accounts.
* i've fooled around with profiles, but how can i set it so that calendar, task, sms, and voicemail each buzz me twice (because they're presumably urgent), and email and browser buzz me once. the phone doesn't seem to be honoring the 'beep number' setting.
* even when my profile has everything set to vibrate (mute), the IM client still sounds audio (along with a buzz). is there a way to completely turn off audio in the IM when you get a message?
* how do i turn on automatic keylock WITHOUT A PASSWORD? enabling security timeout, but disabling password STILL makes it ask for the password when unlocking.
* how can i get rid of all the useless builtin bookmarks that t-mobile builds in? my bookmarks are like in a default-collapsed folder that is almost off the screen. expanding and scrolling sucks!
* i have a theme in .COD format, how do i load it on the device? moreover, where do you guys get themes and/or apps for the device?
* is there a way to load my own images onto the device to add to the pictures application?

thanks, guy. these are all mysteries to me. i love the device though. my roommate works for Danger and i even decided against the sidekick, in favor of the blackberry.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
lithboy

oops, i just saw the themes question answered in a sticky post.

also, have this question to add:
* the literature mentions that the device has a POP3/IMAP client. is this true? the web client, which i'm guessing they are referring to, seems to not be able to talk to my IMAP server, and the defaut port configuration they have in the wizard is POP3.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You won't like most of the answers, but here's a shot..

* why do i get weird mail in my IMAP and exchange accounts with attachment from [email address]? i can't tell where the hell they're coming from, and only know that they seem to be some metadata being funneled to the blackberry via my mail accounts.

Somehow during installation, you told Desktop Manager to use the BlackBerry Redirector. That generates the etp.na.blackberry.net e-mails, but the redirector has no place to put the messages. You may want to uninstall and reinstall desktop manager and make sure you are selecting the correct install for the BWC.

* i've fooled around with profiles, but how can i set it so that calendar, task, sms, and voicemail each buzz me twice (because they're presumably urgent), and email and browser buzz me once. the phone doesn't seem to be honoring the 'beep number' setting.

No, it doesn't. Sorry. No answer on this one.

* even when my profile has everything set to vibrate (mute), the IM client still sounds audio (along with a buzz). is there a way to completely turn off audio in the IM when you get a message?

I don't speak IM, so I can't even guess :)

* how do i turn on automatic keylock WITHOUT A PASSWORD? enabling security timeout, but disabling password STILL makes it ask for the password when unlocking.

I manually lock the keyboard using the "Keyboard lock" function, but I don't know of anyway to automatically (based on a time) lock the keyboard without a password. Good question.

* how can i get rid of all the useless builtin bookmarks that t-mobile builds in? my bookmarks are like in a default-collapsed folder that is almost off the screen. expanding and scrolling sucks!

That's easy. You can't.

* is there a way to load my own images onto the device to add to the pictures application?

Pst them to a web site and point the browser to the web site and select the pictures. No other way (until v4.0 which will allow for JPG and GIF attachments).
Old 10-29-2004, 10:23 PM   #4
lithboy

thanks much for the answers.

and you're right, i don't like the answers

but oh well, it's pretty nifty regardless.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:48 AM   #5
bbcurious
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmobile

Old 02-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
rbgatti
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default One Other Question

I'm going to sneak this question in here since the thread got the closest to my question:

Is there a way to change viocemail notifications? Right now, I get a blue network notification...no souns, no LED, no vibrate. Does it fall under one of the other notification types under profiles? There's nothing specific for voicemail.

I'm using a 7520.

I've searched and searched and don't believe this has been answered.

Nextel gave me a wrong answer since they didn't know. A wrong answer is worse than no answer at all.

Very cool HW though!

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Voicemail is a carrier specific notification. I don't think there is any way to change the notification or indicator.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:47 PM   #8
shorty

Speaking of voicemail notifications, did anyone else on TMO notice a change in VM notifications recently, like within the last week? I used to get an email/SMS message telling me that I had a new voicemail. Now I get a "Network Notification" and a little icon shows up in the top area that looks like a cassette tape.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
bbcurious

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmobile
Default Re: advanced newbie questions - promise to be interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithboy
This is odd. I have my password disabled, I clicked on security timeout at 20 minutes, and every 20 minutes it locks my device, until I click on the unlock. I'm not sure why it won't work on yours.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 AM   #10
hoss

shorty,

yes last week TMO switched to their new voicemail service in the bay area. i much prefer this new way of voicemail notification instead of getting an SMS.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:22 AM   #11
izeyah

Model: 8703
Carrier: VZW

i hope they get rid of the SMS here in LA as well.