Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #1
bhsalzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Sidekick 2 vs 7100t

Please Login to Remove!

Which device do you think is better? Are there any flaws that I am missing? To fully understand my question you need to know my background using both BB and SK devices.

Used to have B&W Sidekick
Pros: Great Web surfing IM, multiple email sent from:, cool looking flip screen. Fun device

Cons: Was B&W, constantly got code net 7 errors that required handset sswap with Tmo, very poor battery life- 1 day tops with normal useage couldn't hear or feel vibrate in pocket if in loud outdoor setting ultimately went thru 4 devices.

Then went to Color Sidekick:
Pros: similar to above, but much better screen, better vibrate but still not great, new catalog to download games and programs.

Cons: Not stable enough as swapped out another 3 devices before I switched to BB 7230 free of charge mind you as a courtesy upgrade from TMO.

Then onto the BB 7230:
Pro: Perfectly stable, great email, battery life, and reliability.

Cons: Clunky to use as phone, no IM, HTML browser is slow and not neatly formatted like Danger's browser, no Jpeg or Gif attachments can be viewed on device, dimly lit screen.

So my question is now I have made up my mind that I WANT the 7100t rather I NEED the 7100t. It addresses all my needs that were missed in the past:
Great screen, Jpegs & gifs, IM, full HTML browser, better ringtones, more phone like.

The SK2 is now made by Sharp and also has fixed many of there problems:
More durable device, more stable OS, better ringers and notifications, much better battery.

So what am I missing? I know people in this forum will probably sing the praises of the 7100t but is anyone else considering the SK2 and why will you leave the RIM platform or why are you staying?
Old 09-16-2004, 02:21 PM   #2
Skive
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Maybe I'm being weird but wtf would you persist in going back to the company that has a track record of crappy products, fair enough you gave them another chance after the first device, but for me that would be it, they wouldn't be getting any more of my hardearned money for a great many generations of their products. Contrast that with your 7230 experience where the device wasn't quite perfect for your needs, but it was a quality made product, there doesn't seem any competition there.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:28 PM   #3
Eric5273

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular

I've never used a blackberry or a sidekick, but I'm trying to decide between getting a Sidekick II or waiting for the 7290. From what I can tell, the email on both is comparable -- both have push email and both can handle my business POP3 account & my personal AOL account. The AIM program on the Sidekick will be better than using webmessenger on the blackberry since it will use the same AIM buddy list that gets used on my desktop. I'm expecting that the web browser on the blackberry would be slightly better once 4.0 comes out because of the javascript support. I prefer the blackberry form a little better.....it's a slightly smaller device. Also, I'm not so crazy about T-Mobile service & would prefer AT&T if I were going to get a blackberry. I can't seem to make up my mind between these two.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:58 PM   #4
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

There are now about 3 to 4 brands of Instant Messengers (not just WebMessenger) that now work on BlackBerry. There's BlackChat and IM+ which both work on my BlackBerry. IM+ also does AIM as well, although I prefer WebMessenger. Also, WebMessenger will also work with the desktop AIM if configured to do so. I haven't tried the others, but MiMessenger is reported to work. And there are more at http://midlet.org/category.jsp?parentLevel=222 and is increasing as time goes on. There are now more software for BlackBerry than Sidekick/HipTop now, and the development for BlackBerry is at a much faster pace than for Sidekick/HipTop handhelds.

The 7290 also has a much brighter backlight just like the 77XX series, for those who prefer colorful transflective screens with excellent indoor readability.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-16-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

"HTML browser is slow and not neatly formatted like Danger's browser"

I'm on the verge of buying a tmobile Blackberry 7230. Is there any way to avoid the problems quoted above, short of going with a Charm?
Old 09-17-2004, 06:11 AM   #6
DJJeffT

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Also, WebMessenger will also work with the desktop AIM if configured to do so.
Mark

What do you mean by this? I have webmessenger and don't understand how you can use the desktop AIM client with it.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 09-17-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
bhsalzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinda35
"HTML browser is slow and not neatly formatted like Danger's browser"

I'm on the verge of buying a tmobile Blackberry 7230. Is there any way to avoid the problems quoted above, short of going with a Charm?
There are many links that are specifically formatted for mobile devices. They are almost mini sites or low graphics sites. Any example of that might be the following:

http://www.accuweather.com/pda/pda_5...?thisZip=60606
or
http://wirelessproxy.espn.go.com/wir.../html/pocketpc

Both of these links look great on a mobile device such as the 7230.

I truly feel that the BlackberryClub.com should start a section for mobile links that are optimized for such devices.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:50 PM   #8
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Hear Hear
Old 09-17-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
DJJeffT

[quote="bhsalzer"]
Quote:
I truly feel that the BlackberryClub.com should start a section for mobile links that are optimized for such devices.
Why not just start a thread and get it rolling!

I am sure there are lots of people here that surf different sites and would be happy to contribute.

Jeff
Old 09-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #10
bhsalzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

See the new thread started below with many new links.

http://www.blackberryclub.com/viewtopic.php?p=4179#4179
Old 09-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

>>What do you mean by this? I have webmessenger and don't understand how you can use the desktop AIM client with it.

Just use the same buddy handle in WebMessenger. Personally, I created a separate ICQ account, a separate MSN account, and a separate AIM account for WebMessenger use, but you can use the same ones, just remember to log out of WebMessenger before starting up the desktop version.

If you have never talked to a desktop AIM buddy from your WebMessenger, then you should work on that first -- configure WebMessenger to talk to the destop AIM / ICQ / MSN users.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-17-2004, 10:37 PM   #12
emale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Thats a good idea bhsalzer,

I hope to see some sites using the Plazmic Content Development Kit.

http://www.plazmic.com/en/index.shtml

I am going to play around with this tool this weekend to see if I can produce something cool
Old 09-18-2004, 12:14 AM   #13
Eric5273

Quote:
Just use the same buddy handle in WebMessenger. Personally, I created a separate ICQ account, a separate MSN account, and a separate AIM account for WebMessenger use, but you can use the same ones, just remember to log out of WebMessenger before starting up the desktop version.

If you have never talked to a desktop AIM buddy from your WebMessenger, then you should work on that first -- configure WebMessenger to talk to the destop AIM / ICQ / MSN users.
The problem I would have with this is that I use AOL dial-up for my home internet. So I couldn't use the webmessenger client on my home computer since in order to be connected to the internet, I am already signed on through AOL.

I would prefer a blackberry program that used the same buddy list that my aol software does. That is definately an advantage of the sidekick.

Right now after reading lots at this forum and at hiptop.com, I'm leaning towards the sidekick. I really like the blackberry form factor better, but I think that the sidekick software is more in line with what I need, considering I don't need corporate email and plus I use AOL mail for personal use (the sidekick has a seperate AOL mail program pre-installed). Plus the sidekick will be less expensive for the device as well as the service -- $20/month extra for unlimited internet, IMs & text messaging compared to $30/month for only internet for the blackberry. The only thing that's making me think twice is that T-Mobile service is not good at my office. One of my employees has a sidekick (the old model) and he only gets one bar or service around our office, and sometimes loses signal completely depending on where in the office he is. But I have read that the new sidekick is supposed to have better RF, so maybe it will be ok....I can always return it after a few days if I don't like it.
Old 09-18-2004, 07:32 AM   #14
DJJeffT

Quote:
>>What do you mean by this? I have webmessenger and don't understand how you can use the desktop AIM client with it.

Yeah, I created a separate AIM name for the BB. DJJetffT BB. Only gave that one out to a few people.

That seems to work best for me as I keep my DJJeffT desktop AIM client running most of the work day.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #15
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

"Used to have B&W Sidekick
Pros: Great Web surfing IM"

Is the Berry at a significant disadvantage to the Sidekick in web access? Is there a "fix" to get the same surfing experience on a Berry as on a Sidekick?
Old 09-18-2004, 04:45 PM   #16
Eric5273

Quote:
Is the Berry at a significant disadvantage to the Sidekick in web access? Is there a "fix" to get the same surfing experience on a Berry as on a Sidekick?
The sidekick works through Danger's proxy server, which rearranges html pages to a narrow format to fit the 160 pixel width of the screen. So there is no left-to-right scrolling required and pictures are shrunk to fit the screen. Very similar to what the Reqwireless Webviewer does on the blackberry, except you do not need a MDS or BES service with the sidekick. So they are probably somewhat similar, except for the cost.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:24 PM   #17
bbcurious
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: tmobile

Are you guys not aware that the new 7290 and the 7100 will have im on it? AOL, Yahoo, and ICQ. It's part of the BlackBerry Applications.
When it comes to the new browser on the new devices, It's a full browser. HTML, xhtml basic, wml 1.3, gif, jpeg, png and javascript.
BTW, RIM has worked with AOL, so that your AOL account works with the BWC (no extra cost).
:D
Old 09-20-2004, 09:29 PM   #18
Eric5273

Well, I went ahead and ordered my Sidekick II today. It should arrive on Wednesday. I'll try it out for a few days and see how it goes. I really do like the software on it -- same as the software on the old Sidekick. However, the old form factor was just too bulky and did not have the features I wanted, but the new one looks pretty good, so I will have to see. It's a tiny bit larger than the Blackberry, but it also includes a camera and speakerphone, so hopefully the extra size won't be an issue.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 PM   #19
emale
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

7100t has a speaker phone.

but no crappy quality camera with no flash or lack of manual controls ;)

I dont understand what the fascination with loading a crappy camera into a phone is. Granted the Sony P900 photos look OK...

But if I want to take a picture I use my seperate digital camera

Weird how some people will carry around a BlackBerry and a seperate cell phone even though their BlackBerry has a phone in it. Yet other people would perfer their phone has a camera in it?

I guess everyone has their priorities.

Mine was a decent digital camera so I bought one

Oh yeah and I'm going to buy a 7100t aswell! (well when Rogers has their version of it)
Old 09-21-2004, 09:54 AM   #20
bhsalzer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcurious
Are you guys not aware that the new 7290 and the 7100 will have im on it? AOL, Yahoo, and ICQ. It's part of the BlackBerry Applications.
When it comes to the new browser on the new devices, It's a full browser. HTML, xhtml basic, wml 1.3, gif, jpeg, png and javascript.
BTW, RIM has worked with AOL, so that your AOL account works with the BWC (no extra cost).
:D
I think it is safe to say everyone knows that the new 7100t has IM on it. The questions was whether a MDS and BES was needed to run the IM application.

On a seperate note...
Saw and tried teh SK2 last night.

Here are the six problems that I had with the old devices
1) Poor Battery life - Been resolved
2) Code Net 7 erros - constantly crashing - Made by Sharp and seems to be better
3) Flip screen seemed too fragile - much better on new device
4) Too bulky - much slimmer, less weight, and nice form factor
5) No Sync with Outlook - None yet but coming soon for additional charge on Tmo yet free on providers such as SunCom
6) Poor Notification , bad vibrate and ringers. - Sound was a 5 on old device now a 10 in volume level. Vibrate was a 2 now a 6.

I will have some tough decisions when 7100t comes out. Think I will buy the 7100t and exercise the return policy if I don't like SureType.
Closed Thread