Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
bortiquai

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Unable To Activate BlackBerry Device with BES

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BlackBerry 8830 with Sprint.

I have installed the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express 4.1.4 with MS Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 server.

The problem I am having is when trying to activate the BlackBerry Device, I receive the message "Activating [email@address]" and it just sits there for a very long time. On the BES Management console, for the user, the status is Initializing.

Everytime I try to Activate the Device, I receive an email from etp.na.blackberry.net, with the text:
"This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server." folowed by a bunch of characters. This message always contains an attachment called ETP.DAT.

I have contacted Sprint Tech Support, who ran me through several diagnostics tests (which passed) as well as wiping out the BB Device.

I'm not sure what other information to provide. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Matt
Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just curious, is the ms exchange server you installed a test server or is that your production server?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:51 PM   #3
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

That message should not be opened at all and it should disappear quickly from mailbox. Does it just sit in the mailbox?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
gibson_hg

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

Which account did you install the BES with and which account are you logging into the server with?

Did you create a BESAdmin account with all the required permissions?

Try running the IEMSTest, it's a command line utility with the BES software to test permissions. Just search for it and run it against the users mailbox.

What steps did you follow to install the BES?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Cannathon

Model: 8310
Carrier: Proximus
Default Same trouble

Hello,

I am facing the same issue, but ... only for one user account out of 12 !!!

I created the BESAdmin account which I always use to login onto the BES Server, had no problem with the email activation of the other users.

Any idea ?

THX

Cannathon
Old 01-29-2008, 05:33 AM   #6
Cannathon

Model: 8310
Carrier: Proximus
Default Issue solved

I could solve the issue.

For this one single user, an Exchange rule automatically moved the email with the ETP.DAT attachment to a child folder within the Outlook inbox. We temporarely deactivated this rule and email activation started normally !!!

THX

Cannathon
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
bortiquai

Thanks for everyone's reply.

After being on the phone with Sprint tech support for about an hour, I read on here to make sure my carrier has "provisioned" the account for use with BES. When I asked the Tech Support about thay, they informed me that my data plan was in fact not compatible with BES, and I needed to upgrade to the next plan. Which I did. However, so far, it has not resolvd the problem.

To answer some of the questions from the replies:

This is our production Exchange Server. We are a pretty small company (6 users) and i have backups.

I installed the BES Server on the same server as exchange, and logged in with the BESAdmin account I created. I followed the steps on the blackberry documentation to assign the permissions.

When I try to activate (everytime) a message appears in the user's inbox with the ETP.DAT attachment. This file just sits there, and there are now a couple dozen of them from all my activation attempts.

I ran the IMESTest.exe- Results:
[USER]'s Mailbox opened successfully.
Root Folder opened successfully.
Failed to create a folder in [USER]'s mailbox.

I have gone back and re-followed all the steps to allow permissions. Unless i am missing something, they seem to be correct.

So maybe that's the problem. Can someone suggest how to resolve this?
Thanks
Matt

Last edited by bortiquai; 01-29-2008 at 10:26 AM..
Old 01-29-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
fadmin

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

Check Exchange permissions for BESAdmin account.
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/searc...200%2090454594
Old 01-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
bortiquai

Thank you for your replies.

I finally found my problem - Did not add "Send As" to the Information Store... only the server. Now the IEMSTest.exe passes all tests.

Next problem. I try to activate the device, and receive an error, but there aren't any details. I've starated a new thread for this problem:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...bb-device.html

Thanks
Matt
Closed Thread