Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
abaack
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100i
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
Default Email Reconciliation Problem...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm new to the BES and have pretty much got it up and running by trial and error and just learning on my own. We have about 70 users currently on it and everything seems to work fine except for email reconciliation.

A few of our users can delete emails off of their phone and it will delete off of their Outlook (Exchange 2003) mailbox. However, if they delete the email off of their Exchange mailbox, it will does not get deleted off of their handheld. We've tried everything from resending service books to master radio resets and can't figure it out. We think some people are working, but some are not.

Also, the handheld is set for mailbox and handheld reconciliation and Wireless Reconciliation is turned on.

We're running the latest version 4.1.4 MR4 on the SQL Desktop Engine.

The only thing that I'm not sure is working correctly is the Blackberry Database Consistency Services. It is set to manual in the Services, but not running. Not sure if it needs to be.

Thanks for ANY help or ideas.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #2
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

We're running the latest version 4.1.4 MR4 on the SQL Desktop Engine--Is this a remote sql server or is your BES on this version?

For these one off user's, have you tried turning off the Wireless Reconcile from on to off for a few seconds?

Also there is another posting about this or a similar issue--let me look.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
abaack

The BES server software and SQL desktop server software are located on the same server box.

Oh and yes we have tried the turn off and on the wireless reconciliation feature for 30-60 seconds.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

On the affected devices, is the Delete On option set to Mailbox and Handheld? If not, set it to mailbox and handheld and then try with a new message, old messages will not reconcile.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #5
abaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
On the affected devices, is the Delete On option set to Mailbox and Handheld? If not, set it to mailbox and handheld and then try with a new message, old messages will not reconcile.
Yes, everything is set correctly. It deletes fine from the mailbox most of the time, it's when they delete inside their exchange mailbox it does not sync to their handheld and delete the messages there also.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
gibson_hg

Are they doing a permanent delete? Do you have Hard Delete Reconciliation enabled?

The database consistency service is nothing to be concerned with, it has nothing to do with any BES service you are using.

Can you check that the email that they delete in Outlook is in the Deleted Items folder? Sounds like the BES can't find the deleted emails to me.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
abaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson_hg View Post
Are they doing a permanent delete? Do you have Hard Delete Reconciliation enabled?

The database consistency service is nothing to be concerned with, it has nothing to do with any BES service you are using.

Can you check that the email that they delete in Outlook is in the Deleted Items folder? Sounds like the BES can't find the deleted emails to me.
No, they are not permanent deleting the email messages. What is "Hard Delete Reconciliation"? And yes they are leaving the messages in the deleted items folder.

Also, kind of off topic, but we're just using the default policy... how do I look into what settings we're using and update them?
Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile

Hard delete reconciliation is supposed to reconcile messages that have been deleted from the deleted items folder before reconcile. the setting for that can be found by clicking on the server in BES manager, selecting the Server config tab, click edit, click messaging, and you will see "Hard Deletes Reconciliation"

The IT policies are found by selecting BB domain, Edit properties, IT Policy. You can view the default and create/edit policies. It is recomended to NOT modify the default policy. Create a new one and play with that.

Also, if they delete items and then do a "reconcile now" on the BB, will the messages reconcile properly?
BES 4.1

Last edited by ladydi; 02-06-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Old 02-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #9
abaack

We've been testing this all day and trying to figure it out. I changed a couple settings on the server and made the hard delete reconciliation turned on.

We turn the reconcile wireless off and then back on after a minute and the handhelds seem to reconcile okay. When they delete off their exchange server it reconciles off their handheld after about 3-5 minutes automatically. However, if we delete an email off of the handheld it will either take a very long time (8-10 minutes) or it will not delete off of the exchange server until you hit the 'reconcile now' command.

Not sure if we're missing something.

Also, just for some stats on the server... we have:

Forwarded Messages: 8335
Sent Messages: 25
Pending Data Packets: 9

The stats were reset sometime last week.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
mischief007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Nope
Carrier: Nope

What is the version of MAPI32.dll on the BES and Exchange in every location you can find.

Also are some of your users running Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook? If so, try using without Cached Exchange Mode and see what happens.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
abaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief007 View Post
What is the version of MAPI32.dll on the BES and Exchange in every location you can find.

Also are some of your users running Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook? If so, try using without Cached Exchange Mode and see what happens.
All three mail servers and one bes server is running 6.5.7638.1

During our tests we were using just webmail so the cache mode is not the problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #12
gibson_hg

Remember that reconciliation will not happen instantainously no matter where you delete it from. Email Rec can take up to 15-20 minutes or longer depending on how much the user uses their BB. Essentially it happens on the mialbox rescan, but if the user is always using their bb it takes longer.

If they do a reconcile now and it works then it will work on it's own, it's just a matter of time. There is no setting to change either, it's just how the BES functions.

And the BES doesn't trigger any commands for email rec as well. When you read a message on the BB the BB lets the BES know to update the property of that message on Exchange to read. When you read an email on Exchange the BES will see the property change and update the BB upon scanning the mailbox.

At no point is the BES told to make those changes, it just happens when you force the reconcile or when it rescans the mailbox on it's own. It's all a change in the property of the message and is not a priority.

That's how it's been explained to me and it makes sense. I beleive that instant email rec would drain the battery and place a heavier load on the BES to have to be constantly accessing the mailbox and updaing the BB.

If anybody knows of any mistakes or things to add by all means let me know so I don't make an a$$ out of myself

Maybe it will be instant in the future but I haven't heard anything yet. Hope that helps to clarify the process.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
abaack

It would be nice if we could set an option for it to reconcile like every 5-10 minutes.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
DW747

Model: 8300
Carrier: O2

Hey guys, been reading this post and as usual gibson_hg is a wealth of information... just wondering though, we are seeing this problem now and we use software called Worksite (Document Management System) which plugs into your outlook client so in essence when filing a message its the same as moving a message to a public folder if you know what I mean. In any event, for some reason the Hard Deletes Reconciliation is not working for us.

We have it enabled and the weird thing is that if I was to file something to worksite today it will reconcile correctly and be removed from the BB however if you were to try and file something from yesterday or older hard delete will not remove it. So basically my question is... Do you know if there is some kind of limit to the amount of time hard delete works? Or is this perhaps a real problem? Thanks in advance everyone!
Closed Thread