BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
dietcoke
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dCoke
Carrier: o2
Thumbs down Ditching Blackberry for Good....

Please Login to Remove!

If my less then a year old blackberry bold 9700 can't be upgraded to OS6, I will flip RIM the bird and make the jump to Android.

Who is with me?

I might jump sooner though, blackberries just don't compare to the new android devices. Anyone check out the Droid X or the ATT Captivate.. Wow..
Old 07-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Enjoy.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #3
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

You'll be back, I went to the Droid X for a whole two days before going back to my Tour.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Androi's loss, RIM's gain.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #5
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Have a fun trip!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcoke View Post
If my less then a year old blackberry bold 9700 can't be upgraded to OS6, I will flip RIM the bird and make the jump to Android.

Who is with me?

I might jump sooner though, blackberries just don't compare to the new android devices. Anyone check out the Droid X or the ATT Captivate.. Wow..
you can run but you cant hide . i have tried to walk away from blackberry 4 times and every time i come back . for some reason i always end up back on a blackberry i have tried it with all the iphones and some nokia phones. few weeks or month later i am back on my blackberry i guess i just like how simple and how it does the job perfect i used to have the ipad and i gave that away to my brother i am back on my laptop and tethering my blackberry .
Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

May you find happiness.

Who knows what 6 will turn out to be, but the 9700 is sure to see at least one or two OS improvements, borrowing some features from 6, in the next couple years before the next new blackberry comes along for me. I'm happy with that.

Find what works for you.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
This statement makes no sense. You're wanting an OS you haven't even seen yet on a platform which may not have the requirements to run it? WTH

Quote:
Who is with me?
Wow... I don't think I will but thanks anyway.

Quote:
You are correct they don't compare. Different purpose, different market.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Bye!!
Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
Donna
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: t / Quart
Carrier: VZ

Peace be with you.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #11
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Default Looks like Android Ain't Ready for Prime Time Yet

Again, so much for the latest and greatest.

'Unhackable' Android can be hacked | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld

Looks like the OS is in need of major work.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #12
cmckinnon

Model: 8530
PIN: 322D36F1
Carrier: Telus

I've tried ditching blackberry a couple of times, and have always came back, for me. I love it, some phones have some cool features that blackberry doesn't have. The Androids look pretty cool but they probably have their own "problems" every phone does.. Anyways, hope you find what you're looking for !
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

While I love the BlackBerrys as much as the next mod, I do take time to see what the other platforms have to offer. A couple things to take note of, the two recent flagship Android devices (Droid X and EVO) are the largest phones I have used since 1999. Huge.

To the point of RIM not making the new OS6 available to older devices, I suggest the OP do some research into the number of Android phones that cannot run 2.2 or higher, and then check how many iPhone models can't upgrade to iOS4... it happens all the time regardless of platform.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Unhappy I tried the Droid X, now back to my Curve (for now)

Here's my two cents' worth...

I've been using RIM devices since '99. My first was the RIM 850 on the ARDIS network, then the 950 on Bell South, and on and on. I've been using my Curve 8330 for two years +.

Last week, I ordered the Droid X, just to try out. I played with it for about four days before deciding to return it and resume using my Curve (for the time being).

Although the Droid X is utterly amazing, and just plain blows any Blackberry out of the water in many ways too numerous to list here, it did lack in several key aspects that I find absolutely essential in a handheld device.

1. Battery life doesn't cut it. (I'd recommend an extended capacity battery for sure)

2. Screen glare in sunlight conditions.

3. Touchscreen typing (even with Swype) is tediously difficult, especially if you're not sitting or standing still.

4. I couldn't find a master setting to adjust the font size for email/text message/Twitter/IM, etc. Yea, you can expand the "size" of a webpage and certain other apps, but a standard default font size feature was missing. It's hard to read messages in tiny 9 point font when you're driving (not that I'd recommend or do that myself - cough cough).

These were issues that caused me enough concern, from a safety and efficiency perspective, to give a thumbs down to the Droid X, at least for now. In fairness, there are countless gazillions of apps, and who knows, I'd bet there are some that might provide a solution to my quirky concerns.

Another drawback to the Droid X (I won't include this in my list of concerns above) was the loss of sleep it was causing. I found myself staying up late, WAY beyond my bedtime, just fiddling around and playing with all the slick features, downloading and installing various apps (which takes mere seconds, unlike the BB), rearranging the widgets on the seven different homescreens, etc.

So, I'll perhaps get another Droid X, or wait to see what device comes next in the Droid line. But for now...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
wabbit

PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:

Who is with me?

9700 will run 6.0....
Old 08-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #16
wabbit

PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
Again, so much for the latest and greatest.

'Unhackable' Android can be hacked | Phones | iPhone Central | Macworld

Looks like the OS is in need of major work.

lol android unhackable? the things a virgin still in the phone market.....

thanks for the laugh tho.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #17
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

May the force be with you.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
May the force be with you.
Considering how some of the phones are advertised I suggest a more apt phrase would be:

May the farce be with you.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #19
Ashg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

I am preparing to make the Android leap myself for work-related reasons. I have been searching, to no avail, for a set of apps for classroom use. I need a high-quality instrument tuner, metronome, and gradebook app so that I don't have to lug a backpack with me between schools every day. There's a better selection of these apps in the Android Marketplace, and the apps seem higher quality and more frequently updated.

With the exception of the three POS Certified Like-New Tours I've had to put up with, my BB experience has been great. I'm hesitant to leave but after seeing what other band directors are doing to enrich their classes with iOS and Droid apps it's pretty much a foregone conclusion. I'll be watching App World; maybe - no, hopefully - I'll be back.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #20
therayban

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Cool I am leaving too!

Several month's ago I talked about how I hated my BB Bold 9000 it was an expensive phone cost and it had very little memory.

RIM set it up that the OS, Email, Messages, Apps and more all MUST go into one little space. Everyone and I mean everyone complains about memory problems and having to do battery pulls. Yeah, real high tech!

Long before the Bold 9000 came out other cheaper phones had larger memory than what RIM put into this expensive phone. Poor planning and I am sure the less you put in the phone, the more money you make.

I was attacked for stating the facts, but now it looks like even the experts are talking about how RIM is going to lose it market share because of memory, display screens, processor speed and etc.

I have never been so disappointed by a phone in my life. You cannot contact RIM, as they do not speak or communicate with their customers. They are not loyal to the customer, so why should the customer be loyal to them?

They put a 1GB of memory in this phone, but again, 128MB of that 1GB is where everything but pictures, video and voice notes goes.

Real shame and as soon as my contract is up I am switching and not going to look back!
Closed Thread