Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
ShelkBB

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Lemon BB : Sold As New but has been USED

Please Login to Remove!

I bought a BB 8330 in March and after a day or so when I tried to set up an e-mail account i discovered one (glowprincess@blackberry) already on the supposedly brand new BB. In the following days I recieved a phonecall for a "Tina", Astrology and horoscope msgs for "Tina", and an invite out for a drink for "Tina". I am not Tina.

When I went to my carrier complaining that this phone is used they said that it was impossible because they get their phones directly from RIM sealed but no one in the entire company could offer an explanation as to how all this had occured on a brand new phone. I know phone numbers are recycled but that can't explain away this many coincidences.

After a few questions to company employees I started to put together a likely scenario as to what happened since no one else could. Phones that are returned within the 1 year warrantly are sent back to RIM and re-sold as refurbished or used as data transfers. I think when someone returns a phone within the 14 day sign-up period and it is returned to RIM, they are not going to write off a brand new phone. They are going to clear it and re-sell it as new. I think my phone was to be cleared and re-sold but it missed the clearing process.

My carrier would have no knowledge of this, which would explain why they are so adamant that it has to be new and unused when it clearly is not.

Has anyone had this happen or even heard of it before?

ShelkBB
Old 06-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

If you paid for brand new phone you should be getting brand new phone. Device that was in someone's hands even for few days is not brand new, by definition.

It does not matter Telus or RIM is at fault, go back to Telus and demand brand new blackberry to replace yours.

I had case like that with some electronic gear, shipped to me by vendor supposedly brand new but definitely used. After few conversations with customer support they shipped me replacement hardware for free and provided shipping label at their cost to send used hardware back.
It was not blackberry but same principle applies: paid for new, must be new.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
twinglock40z
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: verizon

Did you buy your BB from an actual Carrier store or an authorized dealer? There have been several personally owned authorized sellers of Verizon and Sprint that have been accused of selling demo phones, and trial returns as new phones. I actually had this happen to me. I used to buy all my phones from a Verizon authorized retailer because they would match the best price I could find anywhere and also give me a discount on the actual device for law enforcement officers.

I was purchasing a Blackberry Pearl for my mother. I was interested in purchasing the pink one but the lady kept trying to convince me that my mother would probably like the silver one better. She was trying to convince me that it looked more professional. Well she talked me into it. When she brought the box to the counter from the back she had already begun opening the box. I then noticed that the battery was already in the phone rather than being sealed in a little plastic bag that I had previously seen.

At the time I did not think too much about it. I gave the phone to my mother and she had nothing but problems from day 1. She could not sync her outlook right, it said that it already had a blackberry.net user id(she had not set one up yet) and it also was receiving email from a yahoo account.

After taking the phone back to the store I was reassured by several different employees even by the manager that this was a brand new phone and not one that had been returned like I was accusing them of selling me. I finally said well why don't I call Verizon tech support and lets see what they tell me about this phone and why it would already have email setup and a blackberry.net i.d. Oh well that was all I had to say. The manager was like oh we don't need to do that why dont we just give you another one and a free car charger and holster.

Well they wound up giving me a new pink one....which my mother actually liked better for free(yea i know the phones are probably free now anyways but they werent back then) and whole slew of accessories for it so I would not call the Verizon tech support.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
jacobsaa
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: The New AT&T

Wirelessly posted

Tina,

Try contacting RIM to see what they have to say. If your suspicions are right, relay them to your carrier.

Politicin' 24/7
Old 06-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I don't know how the phone registrations work with CDMA, but unless the phone can be on 2 different accounts, the phone calls and messages (text?) should be phone number related. Basically, how would the phone be on your account and receiving calls to someone else's phone number?

The email, since it goes through RIM would seem to be device/PIN related. Although you don't say if you were getting those emails or if it just had the service book for that account.

Since it's been 3 months, what's been happening since then? I think it's too late to get a new unit exchange or anything like that.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

The OP was recieving emails for tina, the OP isnt tina.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
The OP was recieving emails for tina, the OP isnt tina.
The OP is actually vague about what kind of messages for Tina. Could be text, mms, or emails.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
The OP is actually vague about what kind of messages for Tina. Could be text, mms, or emails.
Ok, yes, but I was referring to the fact someone called the OP tina...

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Closed Thread