Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 03:26 AM   #1
cynical2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-moby
Default Downloading pics from browser to 8700g, but they compress! NEED HELP

Please Login to Remove!

I spent a lot of time taking pictures and resizing them to 320x240 on my PC, then uploaded them to Photobucket. In Photobucket (and on my PC before I uploaded), a given file may be 35KB. I go into my BB web browser to the PB page and download it, and the resulting file may be 12KB. So, my images are losing fidelity, and it seems to be through some kind of compression routing that the BB is using. I want to use these pics for wallpaper, and would rather have the uncompressed image, for quality.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening and how to get around the compression?

Tia
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am not that familiar with Photobucket, it may very compress your pictures to save storage/bandwidth. I've used a site like tripod lycos to post and retrieve from. You can also email yourself the pictures and save from there. Make sure you use the command "full image" from the trackwheel when you dowload the image.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Here's a thought-this is a good thing. Why? Picks under 15kb can be sent via BB messenger to friends (well and foe too). Do it all the time and I resize for that. Can you really tell jpg artifact compression on the BB screen?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
cynical2

It turns out that it is the "Full image" switch that was the problem (Thanks JS!). I've tried to find a way to browse and default to the full image option, but it doesn't seem to be an option. I put ~75 pics on my BB, so having to individually go into every one and select FULL IMAGE individually is a pain in the arse. But, I couldn't find any way to simply move the images from my laptop to my 8700g. That would be the best scenario. If anyone has thoughts on:

1. how to engage the FULL IMAGE option automatically for a browser session, or
2. move files from my laptop to my BB by some other means,

then please let me know. Stinsonddog, yes there is definitely a big difference in a 35K file vs an 11K file. Some of these are pics of my kids, and the pics look pretty lousy when not viewed without the compression that the browser automatically puts in place. I'll try to post a side-by-side.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
cynical2

Default Side-by-side, compressed vs FULL IMAGE

------------------ Compressed Image -----------------------------"Full Image"--------------

Note the difference in detail, e.g. in the boy's face.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Can you pull the photo from PB via your PC and post it? If you do this and the image is compressed then it's PB and not the BB. PB may be showing you thumbnails of your photo in which case you need to find the full image link for PB when you're browsing on your BB and saving the photo.

Sorry, I don't use PB (and don't intend to) so I can't do this for you.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
cynical2

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
Can you pull the photo from PB via your PC and post it? If you do this and the image is compressed then it's PB and not the BB. PB may be showing you thumbnails of your photo in which case you need to find the full image link for PB when you're browsing on your BB and saving the photo.

Sorry, I don't use PB (and don't intend to) so I can't do this for you.
It's definitely the BB. I can download onto my laptop and get the full-res image (30+K), but when I go to the same exact image and download via my BB it downloads a compressed (~11K) image. If I first hit "Full Image" to get the BB to not compress the image, and then DL it to my BB, I'll get the uncompressed image.

I still think that there should be a way to turn off (and on) image compression...most of the time you will want it on (for browsing speed), but sometimes the image quality is important. To have to manually reload every image in it's uncompressed form, and then download it, seems like overkill. IMO, I should just be able to switch on a "Use all full images" switch until I tell it to go back to using compressed images while browsing.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
plchan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: NO One

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Edited out....

Last edited by plchan; 02-12-2007 at 09:43 PM..
Old 02-12-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Are you on BES? If so, can you try the Internet Browser instead of the Blackberry Browser?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:03 PM   #10
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Images are compressed by MDS automatically. There's no way around it. It happens before your device ever sees it. If it didn't happen this way, image heavy sites would load even slower than they do already.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Cynical2, yes the auto full image ability would be "nice", but remember the basic premise that the BB was for business/corporate use. Only until recently has RIM begun playing in the consumer market (i.e. cameras, mp3 player, etc.).

Good luck with a solution that works for you. Let us know if you discover something.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Hmm, Internet Browser doesn't seem to help as there's apparently content compression applied via that route. Your best bet is probably to use Berry Pix or a similar app, assuming that it doesn't recompress before copying pictures to your handheld.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:23 AM   #13
virusboy286
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default deactivate

On the 8700 series do the following:
<Home App Screen>
<Options>
<Security Options>
<General Settings>
In here disable the "Content Compression" feature and reboot the device.

T-Mobile
8700g
Old 02-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by virusboy286
On the 8700 series do the following:
<Home App Screen>
<Options>
<Security Options>
<General Settings>
In here disable the "Content Compression" feature and reboot the device.
Thanks, good to know, but it doesn't seem to work on mine. I made those changes, rebooted, and tested with a 177kb image and a 2mb+ image. Both still appear in the Picture Viewer as 20.0kb and 16.9kb respectively.

But personally, I wouldn't want full images on my 8700g, as the memory would be eaten up pretty quick, so its probably a good thing.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #15
virusboy286
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
Thanks, good to know, but it doesn't seem to work on mine. I made those changes, rebooted, and tested with a 177kb image and a 2mb+ image. Both still appear in the Picture Viewer as 20.0kb and 16.9kb respectively.

But personally, I wouldn't want full images on my 8700g, as the memory would be eaten up pretty quick, so its probably a good thing.
Yeah your right, but can you use a photo editing software to resave the imagerespectfully. Becuase I don't think 8700g was meant to be a multimedia device like the pearl, unless there are other options, just stick a photo editer...
Wait use javaloader.ide
The program can use your bb as a thumb drive just remembered that

T-Mobile
8700g
Closed Thread