Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
jgoldenb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: rogers
Default I was wrong about the BOLD

Please Login to Remove!

ive purchased the last 4 Blackberry's on launch day. i've been unsure if I wanted to BOLD for 3 reasons:

1. i love the CURVE and find it almost perfect
2. I was concerned about the size because I hate the 8800
3. I was concerned about the keyboard also because I hate the 8800

my Rogers dealer got 3 BOLDs in today, and I caved and bought one, and let me tell you, i was wrong about the BOLD

The size is great. Because of the curved back and rounded shape, the BOLD feels comparable to the CURVE in your hand and doesnt feel at all as bulky or heavy as the 8800. At the same time, it feels as sturdy as the 8800 and much more sturdy than the CURVE. the fake leather back feels really good, and the flat surface has a definate iphone feel.

The keyboard is nothing like the 8800. In fact, in comparison to any other BB i've ever had, the keyboard is intuitive and easy to type with from the second you pick it up. Zero learning curve. the keys feel good, there's no slipping and typing is a breeze. I think in a few hours, I'm typing with less errors than on my CURVE

My Rogers store had a dummy version of the BOLD I was playing with last week, and the typing on it was impossible and comparable to the 8800. The retail device is nothing like the dummy.

Lastly, I played some of the high res sample videos the device came with, and it's like watching an LCD tv! i've never seen a display like this on a phone, including the iphone. totally amazing.

If anyone is thinking about not buying the BOLD because of size or keyboard, I recommend you get one and give it a spin, you can always take it back within 30 days, but i doubt you will!
Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #2
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Nice little review!
Old 08-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
walds11
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 3GS
Carrier: at&t

Thanks for sharing. I love the Pearl's form factor, so it may be hard for me to move to a device of that size, but I sure will give it a shot
Old 08-23-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldenb View Post
ive purchased the last 4 Blackberry's on launch day. i've been unsure if I wanted to BOLD for 3 reasons:

1. i love the CURVE and find it almost perfect
2. I was concerned about the size because I hate the 8800
3. I was concerned about the keyboard also because I hate the 8800

my Rogers dealer got 3 BOLDs in today, and I caved and bought one, and let me tell you, i was wrong about the BOLD

The size is great. Because of the curved back and rounded shape, the BOLD feels comparable to the CURVE in your hand and doesnt feel at all as bulky or heavy as the 8800. At the same time, it feels as sturdy as the 8800 and much more sturdy than the CURVE. the fake leather back feels really good, and the flat surface has a definate iphone feel.

The keyboard is nothing like the 8800. In fact, in comparison to any other BB i've ever had, the keyboard is intuitive and easy to type with from the second you pick it up. Zero learning curve. the keys feel good, there's no slipping and typing is a breeze. I think in a few hours, I'm typing with less errors than on my CURVE

My Rogers store had a dummy version of the BOLD I was playing with last week, and the typing on it was impossible and comparable to the 8800. The retail device is nothing like the dummy.

Lastly, I played some of the high res sample videos the device came with, and it's like watching an LCD tv! i've never seen a display like this on a phone, including the iphone. totally amazing.

If anyone is thinking about not buying the BOLD because of size or keyboard, I recommend you get one and give it a spin, you can always take it back within 30 days, but i doubt you will!
I'd love to take the Bold for a spin.

Thanks for nothing, AT&T. :(
Old 08-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

Absolutely agree with the keyboard comment. Hated the 8800 keyboard, had it for over a year and never got used to it.

The keys on the 9000 are slightly larger as well, I think I can type 50% faster on the 9000 than the 8800, with less mistakes.

The other big bonus is the screen, you can see more with less scrolling, it's so sharp I don't mind using smaller fonts.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
santo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

I agree that the keyboard is the best one on a Blackberry I've seen. If I was looking for a fault, I'd want the shift keys to be double width (the sixe of two keys side-by-side) and I would be in typing heaven.

I was also a little concerned about the keyboard because although the keys were bigger than the Curve, I thought I would need the spacing like the old 957's to be able to type fast. This keyboard is almost perfect.

Santo
Old 08-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
aj21
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

the keyboard is the biggest strength.
i love the bold keyboard.
i also noticed that the curve felt very flimsy in my hands and like i was able to bend it a bit.
the bold is soooo sturdy.
it's a great little (or not so little!) device!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
carsmovies
CrackBerry Addict

I wholeheartedly agree with all of the above.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 AM   #9
trigg

I too was concern about the Bold's size compare to my Curve. Like you once I had it in my hand, it really doesn't feel that big. It's keyboard is also way nicer.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
Dawgfan
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Cingular

agree.
keyboard is best to date.
screen is just sick (good).