Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Default Is Storm now a decent buy ?

Please Login to Remove!

I quite like the format of the strom but have been put off by the complaints of bugs and low battery life.

Have these all been resolved with the latest firmware or are they still a problem ?

Now the Storm 2 is out, I am being offered some pretty good deals for the Storm 1.

thanks
Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

No the problems still exist.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #3
craigw9292
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I've never had an issue with battery life, just software bugs but v5 of the OS makes it a decent phone. I'd actually go grab a storm 1 for cheap and make sure you put .328 on it. I'm sure you can grab them for next to nothing on ebay.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
mdaughety
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

Now that the new softward has come the Storm is a great buy. In fact my brother in law was thinking about buying a Storm 2 and I told him not to. Why pay 200 for a Storm 2 in it's infancy when you can get a Storm for only around 49 bucks and as I told him with the software updates it's now the phone I hoped it would be when it first was announced. Not enough compelling advantages to me to upgrade to Storm 2 just yet. The only differences I see are Wifi which is nice but not a neccesity, more memory, and speedier texting. But I don't see enough for me to pony up 200 just to say I have one. Right now the Storm that I have is performing extremely well and I am very happy with it. If a first time buyer I would buy the cheaper Storm and see if I liked it first and let them work out any kinks that will surely be in the 2.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
woodworthjohnca

Model: 9550

I am very satisfied with the Storm 2. Battery life: At my level of use it will last through a full day. Like any smart phone I have used it needs to be charged every night. The touch screen is excellent and makes typing the best I have experienced.

No problems here.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #6
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

You should be able to pick up a Storm 2 for less than $200 if you are going with Verizon service.

I have a first gen Storm and I am satisfied but if I had a chance to get into a new generation model of course I would. It makes no sense to by the previous generation model when the newer gen is out. The Storm 2 is where the support will be going and there will definitely be OS upgrades. The Storm 2 is also in the 5.0 realm which is a dream.

I have never experienced a battery life issue with my Storm. I use it throughout the day and charge it nightly. It has never died on me and the battery only was drained substantially when I got bored and played games on it for a couple hours. Treat your Storm like a cellular phone and it will never fail you. Treat it like a VCR / Gaming device and it will die on you in a couple hours like the other gaming devices do without a power cable.

Get the Storm 2.

Verizon 9530
Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
ernhrts3n8
Thumbs Must Hurt

For me personally, I would not buy the Storm2 as of yet. I did play with it and it is nice, but it is not worth the extra $175.00 in my opinion. Wifi is not available in my office and the Storm 1 is much rmore eliable now with the 5.0 OS. I would like to have more memory but as I said before it is not worth the extra $175.00 for me to pay right now. I will wait until my contract is up and see if the phone goes down in price. If you are someone who needs to have the latest...then go ahead and buy the 2, if not, just buy the 1 and enjoy it.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #8
snowwy66
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: sprint

while i hate spending the dough on teh newest equipment. i find that i've been happier buying the newest. rather then waiting, storm been out for a year now i think. it can be had for one penny from amazon. and crackberry.

problem with buying a phone that's been out for a year. is the phone will be 3 years old after your 2 year contract expires. basically a worthless relic.

i had the first two windows mobile 5 phones. when they were first released. i could update the software. and keep up with the times. now i have a curve. i didin't realize the model was already 14 months old when i bought. but i'm also a newbie blackberry owner. so i realy didn't know much. now, there's all this new software. my phone can't handle it. i am stuck 18 more months with a worthless phone now.

do i want a cheap phone??? of course.
do i want a worthless phone??? i don't think soooooo.

i like a phone that can at least be upgraded to keep up with the times. i can't run the 5 software. and i can't use some of the neat apps that are out now. as they weren't designed for my phone. unfortunately. i'm lucky in that i have the 8330 model. where it has enough memory to run version 5. but i'm still SOL on the latest or newest apps.

lesson learned.

you are commited to 2 years. buy the newest model. you'll get more use out of a new phone over a phone that has been out for a year. and will probably be a relic 6 months into your 2 year commitment.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #9
Murphy5111
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

I can understand why people like the original storm. But if you type for awhile on the storm 2 I don't see how you could go back to the storm 1
Old 12-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
Matt_Stevens
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Cost me 49.95 for a storm2 with 2 year contract. I was floored when I was able to snag that price. Been with Verizon 10+ years and never was able to get such a good deal.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Wicked2

Verion's pricing with RIM is Ridiculous, either I can get a Storm for $49 bc my contract is up or I have to pay $179.99 for a Storm 2 and as someone here recently stated, no compelling reason to spend the extra. I think the whole idea of having to wait 20 months to upgrade is a rip off, my contract is up, however I get very little offered to me in return for incentive to spend more money besides the last time I did that the phone went from $199 to $99 then to Free in the matter of 6 months and I was hosed.

Go with what your pocket can afford, if you buy the Storm 2 now and then in 6 months something else comes out you will have tossed money down the drain, I always stay one model behind bc if something better comes my way I woll not be throwing a ton of money away, also consider the new charge for insurance by Verizon, it went from $4.99 to $7.99 now, so $8 per month X 12 is $96 so if you do that you would have paid for the phone over three times within a year.

I am getting the Storm 2 only because someone has to explain to me where Wifi, slightly more memory, and a new touch screen warrant $130.00 more for a device considering the upgrades are MINOR, not major.
Closed Thread