BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 109
Default playbook charger in the UK

Please Login to Remove!

does the playbook come with the US style new blackbox charger ?

mine came with a std BB microUSB charger ...

is this right ?
Offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #2
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict
 
stevetaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 844
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Mine came with a folding blade travel-type charger, but not the standard one. BB chargers will not charge a PB. The PB charger will charge BBs much faster than the standard one.

What's a blackbox charger?
__________________
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing"
-Aristotle

Last edited by stevetaz; 07-22-2011 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Bad speller......
Offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 109
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Mine came with a folding blade trevel-type charger, but not the standard one. BB chargers will not charge a PB. The PB charger will charge BBs much faster than the standard one.

What's a blackbox charger?
did it have a uk plug adaptor ?
Offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict
 
stevetaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 844
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

No. A US 110-115v style plug.
__________________
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing"
-Aristotle
Offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 109
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
No. A US 110-115v style plug.
so its was probably an import right ?
Offline  
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict
 
stevetaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 844
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

What???? I am in the US. I guess I should have been clearer, but here in the US we (I) received a travel-type charger with the PB I purchased in the US.

I suppose I misunderstood the OP and thought they were asking about the charger US purchasers got. That is also why I asked what the "blackbox" charger was. I was trying to say I got a PB charger, which is different from the "standard" BB charger. At least here in the US it is different. I wouldn't call it a blackbox, but the shape is more like a box. It still has the folding blades, which is typical of travel chargers.

I hope this is clearer, but I suspect it will not be....
__________________
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing"
-Aristotle
Offline  
Old 07-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 109
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Mine came with a folding blade travel-type charger, but not the standard one. BB chargers will not charge a PB. The PB charger will charge BBs much faster than the standard one.

What's a blackbox charger?
I used a std BB charger on the PB and it charged it fine

rgds
Offline  
Old 07-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict
 
stevetaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint
Posts: 844
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

How discharged was it and how ling did it take compared to the PB charger?

Using a BB charger should kind of be like a trickle charger due to higer power needs of the PB.

At least that is what we have been led to believe. When I use the PB charger to charge my BB I would guess it is at least 25-30% faster than the standard BB charger, if not more.
__________________
"Criticism is something you can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing"
-Aristotle
Offline  
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
classact
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Model: 9780
Carrier: Orange UK and T-Mobile UK
Posts: 49
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
does the playbook come with the US style new blackbox charger ?

mine came with a std BB microUSB charger ...

is this right ?
I bought my PlayBook in the UK. It came with a BlackBerry micro USB charger which features a yellow micro USB end. If you compare this charger with another BlackBerry micro USB charger which does not feature the yellow end you should notice that the former has a higher capacity charging output, so it will charge the Playbook (or a BlackBerry handset) faster than the latter. European BlackBerry mini and micro USB chargers usually come with interchangeable ends for UK, Euro and US power outlets.

I have since purchased the PlayBook Rapid Charger (not the one with the dock, because the PlayBook won't dock in that when inside a case) which uses a different magnetic power input port on the PlayBook rather than micro USB. Charging is much faster. You can find out more about the accessory chargers here.
Offline  
Old 07-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Posts: 109
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by classact View Post
I bought my PlayBook in the UK. It came with a BlackBerry micro USB charger which features a yellow micro USB end. If you compare this charger with another BlackBerry micro USB charger which does not feature the yellow end you should notice that the former has a higher capacity charging output, so it will charge the Playbook (or a BlackBerry handset) faster than the latter. European BlackBerry mini and micro USB chargers usually come with interchangeable ends for UK, Euro and US power outlets.

I have since purchased the PlayBook Rapid Charger (not the one with the dock, because the PlayBook won't dock in that when inside a case) which uses a different magnetic power input port on the PlayBook rather than micro USB. Charging is much faster. You can find out more about the accessory chargers here.
thanks for verifying that
I am pretty sure the playbook is new, but I think the supplier opened it, took out the US charger, and replaced it with a standard BB charger
I have asked them to send me the one with the yellow tip.
I will probably get the reapid charger though like you

rgds
Offline  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #11
capocrimini
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Posts: 1
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

I also purchased the PB with a case and a rapid charging dock in one go, not knowing it was a PB from the states. Will my rapid charging dock be ok to use with the US playbook?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by capocrimini; 11-14-2011 at 02:32 AM..
Offline  
Old 11-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #12
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite
 
knottyrope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Model: DT60
OS: 123456789
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors
Posts: 7,325
Default Re: playbook charger in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by capocrimini View Post
I also purchased the PB with a case and a rapid charging dock in one go, not knowing it was a PB from the states. Will my rapid charging dock be ok to use with the US playbook?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
yes it will be fine
__________________
I had to fall
To lose it all
But in the end
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads for: playbook charger in the UK
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTS: Playbook 32GB (London, UK) mrandery Buy Sell Trade 3 08-12-2011 11:54 AM
Sync Error Code 0x80040fb3 for pete's sake General BlackBerry Discussion 2 05-24-2010 02:56 PM
BB car charger lightning bolt/ no-lightningbolt kmb1966 General BlackBerry Discussion 9 05-19-2005 07:13 PM

Server 67579 Condiment Pump CPSS Stainless Steel - New Open Box Guaranteed
$37.49
Server 67579 Condiment Pump CPSS Stainless Steel - New Open Box Guaranteed pictureCurtis GEM-5 Coffee Warming Base for Satellite Server Main body part only
$74.99
Curtis GEM-5 Coffee Warming Base for Satellite Server Main body part only pictureDell 100-560-202 Server Fan for AX Series AX100 Delta 60mm x 38mm OL0357
$22.33
Dell 100-560-202 Server Fan for AX Series AX100 Delta 60mm x 38mm OL0357 pictureYITON Server Book Sever Wallet Guest Check Holder 5X9 Grey Zipper Pocket for &
$18.47
YITON Server Book Sever Wallet Guest Check Holder 5X9 Grey Zipper Pocket for & pictureServer Products 86994 Four Section Squeeze Bottle Holder
$58.23
Server Products 86994 Four Section Squeeze Bottle Holder picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.