BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #1
upsizin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t mobile
Default some opinions on switching from iphone to the torch please?

Please Login to Remove!

A little back story. I got a pearl way back and loved it, switched to a curve which I liked then got a 8900 on tmobile the day it came back. The phone was absolutely garbage. I was mad about it bc I think I paid close to 500 for the phone and I literally had 4 of them and T mobile refused to let me out of the contract. Eventually I sold the phone, paid to get out, and went to ATT with the iphone 3gs.

There are some things I like about it. The internet on the iphone was far superior to any, and I mean ANYthing I ever saw on a blackberry. I always hated the internet on the blackberry. The small screen made it impossible to see anything on and when you did see it, the site was never compatible with the browser.

I loved the larger screen size than I had with the blackberry. I felt stupid for always having that tiny screen for all those years. There are some apps on here that make my life WAY easier (chase, att, just about every bill I have to pay I can link my account to it, etc...)

But, at the same time, I miss having the blackberry keyboard. I have over 10k texts monthly and do some emailing too. I'm constantly attatched to my phone and miss the blackberry's battery life. I remember the days of using the hell out of the phone and not having to worry about bringing a charger with me for a weekend trip. This iphone has to be charged every 4 hours and that's if I keep the brightness all the way down. If I have it up, I literally drain it about 40% per hour.

I guess my concerns are this:

A) has the BB advanced in their internet? It's been less than a year since I left the Blackberry behind and honestly I miss it. But if the internet isn't at least close to the iphone, I'm probably not going to be making the switch.

B) is the battery life of the torch similar to that of the older devices?

C) is there anything else anyone may think is useful to me while I consider the switch?

D) the iphone camera blows... tell me the torch is at least as good as the previous BB's I had

Last edited by upsizin; 12-02-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Mandel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE
Default Re: some opinions on switching from iphone to the torch please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsizin View Post
A) has the BB advanced in their internet? It's been less than a year since I left the Blackberry behind and honestly I miss it. But if the internet isn't at least close to the iphone, I'm probably not going to be making the switch.
It is still not at par with an iPhone, but really great. Reading a web page is now quite comfortable, if not pleasant, thanks to the large screen and the smart zooming

Quote:
I think users on this forum don't seem to have one single view of the battery life. Seems to depend a lot on what you're running, or if something you install sucks the battery juice. -- I would say it is just decent, and when asked about the top three things I like about BlackBerry devices, I don0t risk having battery life on that list.

Quote:
C) is there anything else anyone may think is useful to me while I consider the switch?
It is less sexy than an iPhone, but it's a great device. I also personally remain much more comfortable with a physical keyboard for text typing. The Torch offers the touch convenience added to a great pointing device and the physical keyboard.

Quote:
D) the iphone camera blows... tell me the torch is at least as good as the previous BB's I had
It's a 5.2 camera. It is really good.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
upsizin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: t mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandel View Post
It is still not at par with an iPhone, but really great. Reading a web page is now quite comfortable, if not pleasant, thanks to the large screen and the smart zooming

I think users on this forum don't seem to have one single view of the battery life. Seems to depend a lot on what you're running, or if something you install sucks the battery juice. -- I would say it is just decent, and when asked about the top three things I like about BlackBerry devices, I don0t risk having battery life on that list.

It is less sexy than an iPhone, but it's a great device. I also personally remain much more comfortable with a physical keyboard for text typing. The Torch offers the touch convenience added to a great pointing device and the physical keyboard.

It's a 5.2 camera. It is really good.

I hope this helps.
it does, thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Mandel

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

how about hitting the new Thanks button?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

A BB isn't an iPhone, it is a BB. Its somewhat unfair to compare the two, sort of like apples to pineapples, so to speak. I had BBs for years. Then was given a paid for iPhone 3GS. It was OK, but after a year, I went back to the BB with a 9000 and then a 9800.

I use it mainly as a phone, BBM and email. Not a lot of browsing.

I get a bit more battery life than I did with the iPhone, but I always keep cell phones plugged in when I am in the office. Still the BB beats the iPhone as far as battery goes.

The camera is a throw in as far as I am concerned, there when I need it but not the thing I use a lot. Works for me, might not be good enough fo ryou.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

1- iphone, you drop it, more than likely it will break (it did not just happen to me but to my friends too). So far i drop my Torch about 5 times (on cement, on ceramic) and its still alive, working perfectly.

2- I really prefer the qwertyu keypad and that there is also a track wheel. Makes its easier to browse.

3- Speed of browser is same speed of my 3G phone.

4-Overall better options on the torch

5- Advantage of iphone: APPS, easier to sync everything with my mac (but it comes to a cost of $120 a year).

6- If you love apps, get a Touch. In my opinion, the Torch is way superior when it comes to emails, text, bbm and overall performance.

7- Battery is way better than my 3G

8- I don't regret switching from iphone to Torch (and i am a huge Apple fan).
Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #7
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandel View Post
how about hitting the new Thanks button?
Do you get something extra when someone press the thank you button???
Old 12-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Some get extra money in their pay voucher.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
nathan62969

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

I gotta echo preference for the Torch vis-à-vis the iphone. Before I got my 9000 Bold 1 1/2 years ago, I went down to an att place here,and literally spent a few hours trying out 3-4 phones, and mainly the 9000 and iPhone3. At that time went with the 9000 primarily because it was way better in my view for multitasking.

When the Torch came out, I did the same thing. Went down to att and spent some time with iPhone4 and a few android OS devices, but I went down there mainly to check out the Torch. Coming from a 9000 meant I did spend quite a bit of time learning this radically new device vis-à-vis the 9000. And I did spend a little time with the iPhone4, but among several things, most notably this time for my easy choice for the Torch, was the better virtual keyboard experience plus the physical keyboard....

Other things I prefer with the Torch, aside from being VERY happy with it for 2 months now, ...but my main point is a) I recommend getting your hands on it, say play with one down at your att store, and b) it may take you a little time to get used to. On the latter point, the reason being it is IMO in another league, some more sophistication, lots more to continuously discover, vis-à-vis iPhone ;)
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Finally, the camera, battery life, and browser especially, are vast improvements by BB with the Torch. Lots of other new things (like Universal Search, WAY MUCh MORE internal memory, etc) too...

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by nathan62969; 12-02-2010 at 07:40 PM..
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #10
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

To add, I again dropped my torch a few hours ago. It was a brutal drop (high, on cement) AND the keypad was open...

Im happy to report that again, its still alive... If it was my iphone, it would have been dead by now.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:09 AM   #11
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I'd like to see a new browser for OS6... The opera OS6 upgrade was a joke. I can't believe the actually even released that!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
OVERKILL

Model: 9900

Quote:
Yes, the webkit browser on OS6 is a massive improvement from everything that came before it. That is why many of us were using Opera before. Because the BB browser well....sucked. I haven't even considered putting Opera on my torch. I've been VERY happy with the new browser.

Quote:
I get an easy two days out of mine. Three if I'm not using it a whole lot. The battery life is much better than the Bold 9000 it replaced.

Quote:
OS6 is a major improvement over previous BB OS's. So even the interface on the new BB is going to be slightly different, yet familiar to you. Also, the ability to use the keyboard AND the touch screen at the same time is a major time saver! Composing an e-mail and just tapping the send button on the screen.... Scrolling through your contacts on the touch screen and then clicking with the trackpad or hitting enter..... I find myself using both together quite frequently.

Quote:
The camera on my Bold 9000 wasn't much to write home about either. This camera is far better, taking very good pictures for a phone.
Blackberry user since 2001.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #13
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

This question has been hashed out here before,kinda redundant if you ask me!

Last edited by tbird57; 12-03-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird57 View Post
This question has been hashed out here before,kinda redundant if you ask me!
No one asked you... And also, why read it if you dont like it? Maybe you could be helpful instead.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
toronto8800

Quote:
A little back story. I got a pearl way back and loved it, switched to a curve which I liked then got a 8900 on tmobile the day it came back. The phone was absolutely garbage. I was mad about it bc I think I paid close to 500 for the phone and I literally had 4 of them and T mobile refused to let me out of the contract. Eventually I sold the phone, paid to get out, and went to ATT with the iphone 3gs.

There are some things I like about it. The internet on the iphone was far superior to any, and I mean ANYthing I ever saw on a blackberry. I always hated the internet on the blackberry. The small screen made it impossible to see anything on and when you did see it, the site was never compatible with the browser.

I loved the larger screen size than I had with the blackberry. I felt stupid for always having that tiny screen for all those years. There are some apps on here that make my life WAY easier (chase, att, just about every bill I have to pay I can link my account to it, etc...)

But, at the same time, I miss having the blackberry keyboard. I have over 10k texts monthly and do some emailing too. I'm constantly attatched to my phone and miss the blackberry's battery life. I remember the days of using the hell out of the phone and not having to worry about bringing a charger with me for a weekend trip. This iphone has to be charged every 4 hours and that's if I keep the brightness all the way down. If I have it up, I literally drain it about 40% per hour.

I guess my concerns are this:

I have both the Blackberry Torch (recently switched from a 9000) & iPhone 4. There is a very easy way that I break down the functionality of each: The Blackberry is a business machine that I use for mail/messaging and count on to be reliable, and the iPhone is my toy and navigation tool. If I had choose one over the other, it would have to be the Blackberry because I count on the physical keyboard for typing out long and accurate emails.

The only thing in your post that I'm not sure about is where you said "the iPhone camera blows" - you must be talking about a 3G or 3GS because the iPhone 4 camera is incredible when it comes to quality.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

Yes,the OP asked for my opion.

Last edited by tbird57; 12-03-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto8800 View Post
I have both the Blackberry Torch (recently switched from a 9000) & iPhone 4. There is a very easy way that I break down the functionality of each: The Blackberry is a business machine that I use for mail/messaging and count on to be reliable, and the iPhone is my toy and navigation tool. If I had choose one over the other, it would have to be the Blackberry because I count on the physical keyboard for typing out long and accurate emails.

The only thing in your post that I'm not sure about is where you said "the iPhone camera blows" - you must be talking about a 3G or 3GS because the iPhone 4 camera is incredible when it comes to quality.
Exact same scenario. Torch on BES and iPhone on EAS. Although the iPhone is "just good enough" for a business Outlook/Exchange tool, the BB is my workhorse for business use.

For news, financial tracking, sports scores, and other Internet related data the iPhone is my go to device.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphonetoTorch View Post
No one asked you... And also, why read it if you dont like it? Maybe you could be helpful instead.
Yes the OP asked me and all of our opinions...iphonetotourch...the point I was making if people would use the SEARCH function you will find a wealth of info on what the OP was asking...rather than go thru another thread on the many Q and A's on this very subject that are already on here now! and honestly your coming on a BB forum and asking if I should get the torch or the iphone...come on...thats like me going onto a Chevy forum and asking the opinion on switching from a Ford to a Chevy?

The Search button is a beautiful tool...you can find lots of info without even starting up a redundant already been there thread with the BB or iPhone question.....

Last edited by tbird57; 12-03-2010 at 03:48 PM..
Old 12-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #19
iphonetoTorch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not everyone is familiar with forums like you are. I for instance never visited them until I made the switch and ran into problems with my torch. Looking at your # of posts, I see you do spend a lot of time here, more than most.

When I was hesitating between both (4G/Torch), I googled it and all that came up was bias reviews/comparisons. This forum or any other thread from actual users never came up.

Just saying, if you dont like a thread, just skip it or be helpful...

Last edited by iphonetoTorch; 12-04-2010 at 03:43 AM..
Old 12-04-2010, 05:42 AM   #20
rdef

Carrier: ATT

The torch has been out for months now and has been compared to the iPhone ad naseum. Every one of your questions has been asked over and over. Also, since ATT has the return policy that is does, it makes more sense to try one yourself, rather than asking others if you'll like it, don't ya think, maybe?
Closed Thread