BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #301
peterjmc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile and AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Not sure if this was mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

For Vista Users: A copy of the file policy.bin is found in

C:\Users\**username**\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\P rogram Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

The ITPolicy has finally been wiped on my 8320 thanks to JL_Cmder "resettofactory" and John Clark

Last edited by peterjmc; 08-12-2008 at 11:58 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #302
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

So, how did the policy.bin file get there?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:33 PM   #303
delaney.jm

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell

sforget, you should be able to appload the 6750 up to 3.8 or 4.0 device code that you can get from Verizon. My job involves wiping old BlackBerry smartphones from Bell. I had a few 6750's and if I apploaded them to the verizon update everything was a little easier.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:54 PM   #304
jnjewlz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint BIS OS

Got a mint Sprint BB 8830 on ebay. It worked great for one week when suddenly my GPS no longer connected and I could not get email, etc, etc. I don't use BES and not sure how it suddenly appeared. Somehow a firewall was installed and I got a little red lock next to the firewall that prevented me from disabling it. I read through a million posts and finally was able to blend a few to get that stinking IT policy off my device.

Here is the solution. Hope this helps someone. I pulled an all-nighter to get this down to a science.

*** This is not for use on a company owned device ***
*** This was used on my personal BB running BIS ***

1. Download BB Desktop Software 4.3 (requires a pc restart to complete at the end)
2. Download JL_Cmder, a batch file, compiled by d_fisher, from BlackberryForums.com
3. Download BlackBerry.8830.World.Edition.OS.4.5.0.51.beta (others have had success with 4.5.0.51)
*** Search the internet and find it as it's against forum policy to post ***
*** I will not provide you with any information on where to find the OS! ***
*** This software is BETA and you should use it at your own risk! ***
4. Delete Vendor.xml (mine was located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader) and backup the device with BB Desktop Software 4.3 (Cancel the sync if it tries to sync automatically)
5. Install BlackBerry.8830.World.Edition.OS.4.5.0.51.beta (must be a version of 4.5)
6. Started BB Desktop Software 4.3, Synced, & prompts you to install updates
7. Click Update Now
8. Do not choos automatic backup the device after the install as it will waste a good hour of your time
9. Device will take a while to come online
10. Shut down BlackBerry Desktop on PC
11. Run JL_Cmder
12. RESETTOFACTORY Option #5
13. Type in "blackberry"
14. JL_Cmder will reset the device
15. JL_Cmder will show a red screen that says remove the battery
16. Unplug the device from the USB and then pull the battery
17. Wait 60 seconds and reinstall the battery
18. When the device comes online go to Options/Security/General
19. If it says "No Services" do a happy dance 'cause IT settings are gone
20. Got to Options/Security/Firewall and make sure red lock is gone and you can enable and disable the firewall
21. On the PC go to Control Panel/Add Remove Programs and delete BlackBerry.8830.World.Edition.OS.4.5.0.51.beta
22. Plug the device to the USB
23. Launch BB Desktop Software 4.3 (mine auto sync'ed with no issues the device)
24. Load 4.2 OS (BE SURE NOT TO BACKUP AND RESTORE)
25. When the device comes online go to Options/Security/General
26. If it says "No Services" do a happy dance 'cause IT settings are STILL gone
27. Got to Options/Security/Firewall and make sure red lock is gone and you can STILL enable and disable the firewall
28. Finally, restore the using the backup we created in Step 3

I took meticulous notes as I was working so you can be sure of that. Hope this post doesn't break any forum rules. Didn't have time to read the entire forum before posting. I am happy to have my device working again.

Last edited by jnjewlz; 08-14-2008 at 12:02 AM..
Old 08-14-2008, 06:09 PM   #305
broecher

Model: 7290
Carrier: none
Question Stuborn IT Policy

I bought a used 7290 with 4.1 off of eBay. It says it has a blank it policy from John Clark. But it still requires a long password with letters and numbers, the password disable option is missing, and maximum timeout is only 30 minutes. I have followed the usual it policy removal procedure several times with policy.bin files from two different websites and nothing changes. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #306
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Not sure why my policy would be requiring a long password or why the timeout would be 30 minutes. Did you try the procedure in the first post of this thread with the policy included there?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #307
broecher

I tried the policy.bin from this website:
removeblackberrypolicy com / directions2.htm
It uses a regedit tool.
Then i tried the one on this thread, by manually typing the location into the registry as your directions say, and deleting the policy.bin from the other website from the registry first.
What types of problems do you get from having the enterprise version of desktop manager on your computer? I honestly do not know if i have enterprise or internet version. I have done this successfully on 2 other of the same model phones.
One thing i wondered about was the registry entry in the policy folder right next to your entry that says default - it wonxxx8217;t let me delete it. Is that a problem?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #308
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Are you copying the new policy.bin to the following folder: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry ?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #309
broecher

Yes, I cleaned up after the other websites procedure by deleting the bin file from my c:/ root directory, deleted the entry from the registry. Then I downloaded your bin file put it in the blackberry folder and added it to my registry as the directions say. I looked at the entry and it apeared to have data values as a normal entry does.
Under the general settings page it shows 'policy name: application' and a time stamp from a LONG time ago. does this imply that I did not get your policy loaded? If i go to the owner information page it says it has a blank policy from you. How do you think the owner info page gets edited? would that have been there before i recieved the phone. I dont know what the phone had on it originally, it was password locked and the seller is a dead beat.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #310
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Well, to be honest, I'm not following. You've done so many things to it that I really don't know what you've done.

First, the policy.bin doesn't go in the c:/root directory. So, I'm not sure why you would delete it from the c:/ root directory.

If it shows my name in the owner info, then it should have my policy on it as that gets loaded with the policy included above. I'm at a loss.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:06 PM   #311
jscott1914

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I tried this last night and it worked!!!........ I then resent the service books and got my personal email icons and everything. Once I connected to my desktop, everything reverted back to how it was prior to following these steps. Im using os 4.5.0.69 on my Pearl. The weirdness of it all is that I can receive personal email on my Pearl through the BIS, but i cannot Send from my Pearl or even Reply to an email. Please dont tell me to re send service books, or wipe handheld again...I've don them both more than enough times.I thought this would do it, but I guess not!!!! I just want to get ALL of my email on my Pearl...is that so wrong!?!?!?!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #312
John Clark
BBF Moderator

So, you were able to remove an IT Policy from your 8100? When you send an email from your Pearl do you have the option to send? Does it error when you send? Please be a little more specific so we can help you. Just stating what NOT to tell you doesn't help.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #313
jscott1914

The IT policy did remove and stayed gone. I re sent the service books and got my personal email addded back until I reconnected to my desktop manager. i dont know if the policy came back when I reactivated my work email on BES, or when I restored my backup that I created. Currently my IT policy is active, so I can create, send, and reply to a work email over the BES no problem, but I am only receiving my BIS emails. Can not create, reply, or send an email from one of those account. Hope this clears it up a bit. Did not mean to sound rude...just frustrated. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:51 PM   #314
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Um, if you connect to a BES then you can't remove the policy. Are you sure they haven't restricted access to sending BIS emails?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:51 AM   #315
jscott1914

I guess that is whats happening. Thanks for the assistance, and the great thread!
Old 08-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #316
Jreneking

Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

wow, this is an awesome thread. I read through everything, but i still have questions.

I have an old 8700c from AT&T. I am selling it on eBay, and i want to remove the IT policy that was used on this blackberry with my previous job.

Currently i have an 8130 and my desktop software syncs with that. When i go into the registry, I don't see a folder called policy manager--just manager. Is that the same thing? I don't want to do anything until i know for sure.

Thanks so much in advance.

and yes, it is set up for internet, not for BES.

thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 PM   #317
Jreneking

Carrier: Alltel/Verizon

nevermind...my nickname should be impatient ;)
i used the "manager" folder and it worked just the same! yay! thanks a bunch.

one last question. when i had this blackberry, it was cingular. now it's at&t. the software still says cingular. will that matter for the buyer?

thanks!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #318
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Anyone use an 8xxx series device *should* update it to OS 4.5 and use the "resettofactory" method of removing IT policy. That gets rid of it totally.

You can never change the startup splash screen. It will always say what it says.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #319
sumit_5147

Model: 8700g
Carrier: airtel

Is it true that it can restrict HTTP connection also
Old 08-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #320
John Clark
BBF Moderator

1. The generic policy.bin file adds a line that says "research In Motion...blah blah and listed the address and phone number of RIM. Not helpful and caused people to wonder why the owner screen said that.

2. I believe if you add your own owner info, that default info goes away, anyway.

3. I think people like to know that there is an IT policy on the device. The blank IT policy doesn't open the firewall and can leave some items listed in the firewall locked and unuseable.

4. I put my name and this website in the policy so that people who get a BB used and don't know it has a blank policy would know where to come for help. I've had numerous PM's from people who have signed up on this forum only to send me a PM and ask about why it has my name on it in reference to the policy. When I explain they usually are happy and very grateful for the info.

5. There were several blank policies out there and when people come for help this let's me know what version of the policy they have. On the first one I created I missed the "allow split-pipe connections" and that is restricted. I've since changed that and its now set to allow. The first one didn't have my name in it. There is NO other way to tell what kind of blank policy is loaded.

Again, this was added in to be helpful, not for some kind of fame or copywrite issue.

Last edited by John Clark; 08-22-2008 at 10:54 PM..