Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #1
9700BoldBB

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default Password Not Accepted due to Cursor Speed Change

Please Login to Remove!

I have found a lot of useful info on this Forum.

It is fortunate that there are more places than just one for answers.

Regarding a problem with password on my 9700 Bold.

I have had a four digit Phone Lock on it for months, always the same, was operating the phone the same as usual one night, and the next morning, it wouldn't accept the Lock Code.

Entered the Password 7/8 times, then thought I had no choice but to let it reset itself, entered in the same Code, and it accepted it.

I didn't want to go through that again, so I went to Password Settings to remove the Password requirement, and it started all over again, not accepting the Same Password with which I had just unlocked the phone!

Fortunately, I have Backed up my phone in case it did get Wiped, but I would have lost some info that had been entered in between Backups, so I hoped I could get this resolved With Out the phone needing a Factory Reset.

The 9700 asked me to enter "blackberry", and I noticed that there was a tendency for the letters to jump to Upper Case quicker than I was accustomed to seeing it do.

As I have been writing this, I remembered that I had changed the Cursor Speed to Fast, so now I'm going to type in the password as quickly as I can, so I can be as certain as possible that it goes in as 'lower case' only, which, because of the characters being immediately changed to ****, I could not detect before.

Problem Solved!

I just breathed a Huge sigh of relief.

The phone has now been set back to the Original Cursor Rate, and the Phone Lock has been removed.

Security is important in case the phone is misplaced, so I set the SIM Card Lock instead, and at least if the Password gets messed up again, I can get a PUK Code from at&t, and unlock the phone that way, without the risk of wiping out all my contact information, calendar dates, and other personal settings.

I hope this information might be helpful to someone else, and I'm looking forward to learning more on this site.

B.

Last edited by 9700BoldBB; 06-08-2010 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: Updated information
Old 06-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I've never had this problem.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

That is the first time I have seen or heard of that solution.

Thanks

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
diffused
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Verizon

I had this issue as well but instead of the cursor speed, I had changed the key sensitivity. That had the same result though; upper case instead of lower case password.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
9700BoldBB

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

Branta, a Forum moderator on the Crackberry Forum, had this to say, "One warning - the SIM's PIN code only protects the SIM against misuse, it doesn't protect the phone and your data if a thief puts his own SIM into the phone.

One solution is to enter the phone's security password as explicit upper case and/or numbers using the Shift and Alt keys. These can never be modified by the auto-caps feature."

Branta makes a good suggestion here.

Title of thread on Crackberry Forum: "Won't Accept Password, Wish to Avoid Factory Reset."
Title of thread on BlackBerry Support Community Forums: "Password Not Accepted, Avoid Factory Reset."

B.

Last edited by 9700BoldBB; 06-08-2010 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: updated info
Closed Thread