victorbrca
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 206B7448
Carrier: Robbers
Default Rogers and Fido generic data plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide which Canadian provider to use, but I'm having a hard time. I would like to be able to access any site, use any app and send emails like from yahoo mobile (I know push, BB messenger and OTA will not work).

Rogers and Fido seem to have some limitations on how you use their generic data plan. Would anyone mind clarifying this a bit more to me (as of what the deal with the restrictions is)?

This is what I get from their site:

Fido generic data
Quote:
The Data options (excluding the Unlimited on-device mobile browsing option) and the Flexible data option are applicable to the following data usage:

* Accessing the Internet using the built in browser of any Fido phone, Fido device or phones not certified by Fido
* Using your phone as a wireless modem to access the Internet via a laptop (Tethering).
* Using a PC Card for Internet access via a laptop.
* Using non-Fido (3rd party) applications that you have downloaded to your phone. 3rd party applications are applications like Opera Mini browser or Google Maps.
Fido 3G Data
Quote:
What is not included in the Unlimited Surfing on your Fido Option

* Tethering — Tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet via a laptop. The phone can be connected via USB cable or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Fido wireless network.
* PC Card usage — A PC Card works like a wireless modem for Internet access via a laptop. You can choose a PC Card instead of tethering your Fido phone.
* Using non-Fido (3rd party) applications that you have downloaded to your phone. Use of applications supplied by the phone manufacturer that are pre-loaded on to your phone. 3rd party applications are applications like:
o RoadSynch Email
o Yahoo! GO
o WorldMate
o GPS/Location
o Productivity
o Nokia Internet
* Data roaming charges apply, in addition to regular subscription fees when accessing the mobile Internet while roaming outside the Fido GPRS/EDGE/3G network.
Rogers
Quote:
Included:
Browsing the mobile Internet through Rogers Mobile Internet Browser to access to sites like:

* Yahoo!® Search
* WIRELESS BOX OFFICE™
* ScoreMobile 2.0
* Yahoo!® Canada
* Windows Live™
* Google
* Flickr™
* TMZ
* Wikipedia
* ebay
* canada.com
* CBCnews
* Digg
* BBC
* Government of Canada
* Time
* New York Times
* Facebook™
* MySpace™ mobile
* LookAtMe!
* Air Date by Air G

Accessing applications within the Friends link either in the Rogers Mobile Internet Browser or on your idle phone screen:

* Facebook™
* MySpace™ mobile
* Rogers Instant Messaging
* Windows Live™
* Yahoo!® Canada
* LookAtMe!
* Flickr™
* Air Date by Air G

Not Included:
# Tethering - tethering is when you use your phone as a wireless modem to connect to the Internet. The phone can be connected via cable, infrared, or Bluetooth. Once connected, you can access the Internet wirelessly on your laptop using the Rogers Wireless network.
# Non-Rogers Certified applications that you download to your device via Rogers Rogers Mobile Internet Browser like Yahoo!® Go, Google Maps, Opera Mini, Mobile Firefox, Mobile Checkbook, Mobile Bartender, or Daily Comics.
# Non-Rogers Applications already embedded on your device. Use of applications supplied by the device manufacturer that are pre-loaded on the Nokia N95 such as Nokia Maps, Ngage games, Nokia Music Player and others including:

1. RoadSync Email
2. Yahoo!® GO
3. WorldMate
4. GPS/Location
5. Productivity
6. N95 Games
7. Nokia Internet

Thanks a lot!!

Vic.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Cannot use generic data plan. It must be a BlackBerry data plan. In the case of Rogers look at their "Voice & E-mail Packages for BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds" or "E-mail Packages for BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds"
Old 09-14-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
victorbrca

Quote:
Originally Posted by x14 View Post
Cannot use generic data plan. It must be a BlackBerry data plan. In the case of Rogers look at their "Voice & E-mail Packages for BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds" or "E-mail Packages for BlackBerry Wireless Handhelds"
But I thought you would be able to use a Generic data plan on BBs. Isn't that what this FAQ says?

How to use BlackBerry on Generic Data Plan
h t t p://w w w.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_to_use_BlackBerry_on_Generic_Data_Plan
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Not necessarily. It depends on the carrier - for some it works with a generic plan, with others it does not.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #5
victorbrca

That sucks... so I'm stuck with Rogers!! :(

So how do you guys know that it does not work with these two? Previous experience?

Thanks for the info!

Vic.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
noelstrom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

What you are looking at is for WAP browsing for your average everday (boring) cell phone.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
victorbrca

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelstrom View Post
What you are looking at is for WAP browsing for your average everday (boring) cell phone.
The 300MB for 30$ on Fido got my attention. Roger's data plan only include 4mb. And the only things I really was looking for was emails, ssh and maybe maps.

Thanks for the info all!!

Vic.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #8
Auroraboy

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorbrca View Post
The 300MB for 30$ on Fido got my attention. Roger's data plan only include 4mb. And the only things I really was looking for was emails, ssh and maybe maps.

Thanks for the info all!!

Vic.
Rogers has a $30 for 300MB BLACKBERRY data plan. I just signed up for it. No contract required. The $30 6GB BB data plan requires a 3 yr. contract.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 PM   #9
sticker99

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus

go for telus, unlimited internet everything for $30 (it was once $15 back in december)
Closed Thread