BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 02:15 AM   #1
Hetrain

Default I Need Help ASAP!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello Everyone,

I am about to sell my home computer. I am looking for a phone that will let me check my email, go to web sites, and other computer like tasks.

With T Mobile you dont have alot of choices on phones, so it looks like it is between the BlackBerry 7105t and the Sidekick 2...

So, I need a computer replacement phone. Something easy to type with, that has a good speaker for ringtones, easy online service, and good connections with calls. Which one should I get?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: MetroPCS

If you want a computer replacement, I'd seriously look into a Pocket PC/Smartphone. You would have to get it unlocked from a 3rd party, but in my past experience T-Mobile phones are overpriced anyway. They wanted 299 + One year extention for a 7100t; I got it unlocked for 169 from ubid.com (buy it now, from ubid directly)

Personaly I think the Sidekick 2 is a toy, they just seem to break easily. I know people that liked the device but even with careful use managed to break something on the thing. A Blackberry is nice, but without a desktop I dunno. Blackberry won't do music or video; it pretty much does web browsing and e-mail for the most part. To put it in it's simplest term, I guess you'd say it could replace a WebTV box; not a computer.

To be fair, I use my Blackberry currently to replace my laptop. Now that's only for when I'm away from my desk and don't really need much more than internet, email, and a word processor. I would never use it to replace my computer entirely.

Now I do think that a Pocket PC/Smartphone could be used as a computer replacement. It does pretty much what your desktop does; but with stripped down programs. You can watch video, listen to music, do most everything.

Either route, I'll have to suggest you get a keyboard. My personal favorite is the i-Tech Virtual Bluetooth Keyboard that uses a laser to project a keyboard onto a flat surface; you then type on it. - No tactical feedback takes a bit of getting used to though.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:01 AM   #3
Hetrain

Which ones do you think are the best for around 100-200 or so... Are Treo's what your talking about?

If I got it unlocked, does this mean I can use it as a phone with T Mobile?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 AM   #4
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Ask yourself this, what do you need the device to do for you? Then research it, asking question out of the blue won't get your any further... Example if you need a camera, music, SD card stay far away from the BB it won't meet your needs. The web is wonderful resource when it comes to research.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:40 AM   #5
imwillzillla
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

For the price of a new cell phone (not with the contract agreement) You should be able to afford a computer just for that, but if you're on the go all the time and need something in terms of a phone, you can get a blackberry, Palm, almost anything that has internet. What about cancelling your contract as well? Depending on the area I've heard for example that Cingular has great coverage in MA well above everyone else, but in New York it may be Verizon. So you should also consider making sure you have the best service provider for where you live. Sure everyplace is pretty much covered everywhere, some places are better off than others.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
Hetrain

The internet is great, just like this site!!!!
Im not very experianced with smart-phones and such, so I thought that this would be the perfect site to ask a simple question.

As far as what "andre" said, what pocket pc/smart phones were you thinking?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:48 AM   #7
Hetrain

oh and "imwill" I dont know many computers for 200 dollars or so...
I currently have a computer, but if I can find something that I can get to work with T Mobile, and be kind of a replacement then I would be set.

Im always away from my home computer, so if I can just find something that can keep all my info, make calls, take pictures, and can search the web then I can sell my home computer!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #8
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

A BB is a great communication device. I got my 6 months ago to replace my laptop I use to carry into client's sites, but it is not a replacement for a computer. It is great for the 3 things, email, IM, phone and browsing on the 8700c is pretty good. For me it works great, but it isn't something you are going to do a word document or xcel spreadsheet on or like others said, if you are into video, camera, mp3, etc. It isn't for you.

That said, you have to decide what you want. In regards to your price, I don't think you will find anything out there for that price, unless you get it with a long service agreement from a provider.

Good Luck,
Old 01-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #9
Hetrain

Ok, thanks for the help...

Now my new question is if I bought a Handheld Pocket PC, can you turn it into a phone? Such as the new Dell Handhelds, Im guessing that they are not phones, right?
If this is true, the only real handheld besides the bb and sidekick would be a treo that can get phone service.

Oh and I cant end my contract with Tmobile, cause it would cost me like 200 dollars.

Thanks again...
Old 01-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #10
Hetrain

To give you a little more info, this is what im looking for:

1. Web Browsing & Email (hotmail wanted the most)
2. Phone Service
3. IM & Typing
4. Good Sounding Ringtones
Old 01-12-2006, 04:10 PM   #11
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7100/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Any pocket pc in your price range would work, I'm not sure of any exect models, but the all run windows mobile, 2002 2003 or 5.0, just choose a model you like. Treo isn't the same as it runs a palm os, unless you get the 700w version. If you need more info feel free to send a private message over, or email andrebsd@gmail.com or aim andrebsd. If type a longer reply but I'm walking to class right now.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 PM   #12
Hetrain

Hey andre,

so if i bought a pocket pc, I couldnt use it as a phone...
is it hard to unlock phones?
Old 01-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
Mad Max
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Palm Treo 700w
Old 01-12-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
Hetrain

They dont have this phone for tmobile, and I cant find one unlocked..
Old 01-12-2006, 07:09 PM   #15
dudeBB

Model: 7105t
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetrain
Hello Everyone,

I am about to sell my home computer. I am looking for a phone that will let me check my email, go to web sites, and other computer like tasks.

With T Mobile you dont have alot of choices on phones, so it looks like it is between the BlackBerry 7105t and the Sidekick 2...

So, I need a computer replacement phone. Something easy to type with, that has a good speaker for ringtones, easy online service, and good connections with calls. Which one should I get?

Thanks!
I got my BB 7105t from T-mobile couple of days back. If you are looking for a good deal. I would suggest that you go to http://www.letstalk.com/. I got mine for free. I just have to do mail in rebate. I hope this helps.

R
Old 01-12-2006, 07:56 PM   #16
Hetrain

This doesnt really help, mainly because I allready have a service plan with T Mobile.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:05 AM   #17
sclark

Model: 7290

HeTRain,

You still havent really defined what you want to do with your phone and what purpose that it will serve. This will serve as the starting point in your serch. I have the 7290 and it does everything except take pics...I am not big in the video world so that does not interest me. I use mine for web browsing, email and business related needs. I love it and it has everything I need...

The Blackberry 7290 is full of features such as
Unlimited Email
Unlimited Web Browsing
Text Messaging
Bluetooth enabled
Full Color Display
Enhanced Backlit Screen
Backlit QWERTY keyboard
Largest Data Coverage in the nation
Roaming in over 180 countries worldwide

Here are more specs
The BlackBerry 7290 is a full-featured mobile phone that delivers the power of BlackBerry e-mail and the web on a crisp, easy to read screen. With built-in Bluetooth the BlackBerry 7290 provides hands-free headset and car kit support.

Wireless e-mail integration
Stay connected with robust e-mail functionality. Access corporate e-mail with end-to-end security via the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.* And integrate up to ten e-mail accounts with BlackBerry Web Client access. Respond to e-mails, look up contacts and even view attachments right from the phone.

Real Internet Browsing
Browse the web the way it was meant to be with the 7290's wide high-resolution color screen.

Technical Specifications
Services Available · Wireless Email
· Voice and SMS
· Corporate Data Access*
· Connected Organizer
· Wireless Calendar*
· Wireless Internet

Hope that helps my friend....

Sam
Old 01-13-2006, 03:04 AM   #18
andrebsd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetrain
Hey andre,

so if i bought a pocket pc, I couldnt use it as a phone...
is it hard to unlock phones?
Well you can use a Pocket PC (standalone) as a phone, skype runs on them.
Now is it practical? absolutely not as if you get a standalone Pocket PC then you'll still need a cellphone seperately for internet access. I used to do that, have a Toshiba e330 from like 3-4 years ago; with a SE T610 cellphone to connect to the pocket pc and go online. It got kinda cumbersome to bring two devices though.

So if your going the Pocket PC... well I guess I should say Windows Mobile route, you'll want a Smartphone (these look like phones and run Windows Mobile) or a Pocket PC Phone (these looks like your traditional PDA and have a phone built in; but are definitly outside your price range unless you get a rather old[er] or used one)... You can of course do the seperate way; I dunno. Does your current phone either have IRDA (infra-red) or Bluetooth? - Then you might be best off going with a standalone Pocket PC.

If your existing phone has IRDA or Bluetooth you can just get one of those Dell units; I am assuming the Dells have IRDA & Bluetooth though. You can connect to your existing phone to go online, and just use your phone still for calls (unless you really like skype I guess). That would be the cheapest way of getting a PDA form factor device. Your price range pretty much sticks you to Smartphones or Two devices. Pocket PC's with a phone built in are rather expensive.
Closed Thread