BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #1
zoobaaruba

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Wataniya
Default What do I do if my Blackberry Curve gets water damaged? Lots of concerns...?

Please Login to Remove!

Okay, so I was getting a pedicure with my aunts and my phone fell off my lap into the tub of water at my feet, which was, thankfully, clean. The warranty had finished two months ago and i freaked out. I immediately pulled it out and my aunt advised me to pull the battery, SIM card and micro sd card out, which i also did immediately. I started tapping it on a towel from all sides to get most of the water out, i tapped until the water stopped coming out. I then left the back open and let it dry overnight, the next afternoon i put the battery back in and discovered that the keys were not working although the trackball would scroll through the home menu icons. I took the battery and other stuff back out, blow dried it on cold air for half an hour or so, and googled water damage. It said that i should keep the battery out of the device for 3-5 days. Im wondering, since i only had the battery in the device for about 2 hours and after it had partially dried out, will that have any permanent damage?

Also, the many websites i visited advised putting the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice to suck out the moisture and i was wondering, could i put the battery cover back on while in the bowl of rice without affecting its moisture sucking action? I dont want to take the chance of getting a bit of rice stuck in the little cracks and openings in the back, since people commented that that could happen.

One more concern of mine is that some websites said that i MUST take the blackberry apart and dry it out by hand with Q-tips and wipe everything down. They link to youtube videos of how to safely dissemble a blackberry device. I'm not exactly an expert and i dont want to ruin my phone so is that really a must or a just to make sure?

The phone took its swim on friday and im leaving it to dry til thursday to give it the full five days suggested. Should i keep going at it with a blowdryer? or can i leave it to air dry for the next couple of days?

When i had the battery in for those 2 hours, everything looked normal and i was receiving calls and getting messages and all the sounds and LED lights were working like normal, it was just the buttons that were not working, not the keyboard or the convenience keys or the lock and mute buttons at the top or the clicker behind the trackball although that was scrolling. The device didn't get a blurry screen or sound any different or anything, just the keys. Is there any chance it might come through?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Take the back off
Take the battery out
Put it in a bag of rice
Wait 4 days

Rice getting inside is the least of your problems.

Since you've already turned it on, there isn't much more you can do.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Do as NJ suggests as that is the best cure we know of. BBs and water do not get along. However I surmise that it is time for you to get a new device as yours is most likely a goner.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

And just a reminder since everyone seems to forget....

Warranties do not cover water damage or dropping them etc.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
zoobaaruba

Mine does, or did, cover water damage, in my country we don't have an official provider for blackberries, companies buy them in bulk and set they're own price and warranty for them. I checked my receipt after i bought it. Anyways, thanks for answering, the moment of truth is tomorrow night, wish me luck!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #6
zoobaaruba

My BlackBerry has survive with no repercussions thank god Despite the less than optimistic replies I got, it survived. I'm guessing that unless the screen flashes or fades or something while the battery is in the device, there is no permanent damage.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
newberry52
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

I dropped my 8320 during a really bad thunderstorm more than a year ago and it was in the grass for 2 hours or more. I followed the instructions I found on this site to open it, remove accessories, place in a bag of rice and dry for several days in a warm spot. I did have to replace the battery but it worked so well that the phone is still in service as of today. I passed the phone on to my husband a few months ago and he is very happy with it.
Closed Thread