BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
jshonka

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T
Default Dashwire for Blackberry? More than just backup...

Please Login to Remove!

Just heard about Dashwire today:
"A company called Dashwire this week unveiled free new software that essentially mirrors your cell phone on the Web, backing up all your data -- contacts, text messages, calls, photos, videos and phone settings -- and letting you access everything online. It does this not when you connect to your PC, but constantly over your phone's data connection.
Dashwire enables you to send and receive SMS messages online and set your ring tones, wallpapers, and speed dials -- all from your Web-based account (these changes are instantly updated on your phone). Dashwire works only with Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 devices -- HTC Touch, AT&T Tilt, T-Mobile Dash, Samsung BlackJack, Palm Treo 750, Motorola Q series and others. The company says it's working on more platforms."

Has anyone heard of something like this for Blackberry?
The part about "letting you access everything online" is really attractive to me. I'd really like to have full access to all of my smartphone functions on my PC. Sometimes it's just easier that way.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I have not heard of that on particularly, although I am familar with someone developing a mobile backup system and sync (sort of) for the BIS on BB.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM   #3
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8300/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Sounds sort of like blackberry unite right?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Yes, I am familar with BB Unite, but there is still another in developement from a Third Party to take it a step further.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
jbc247
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700

I tried to sign up for Dashwire but they are limiting new users at the moment

I'm not sure if current users can send invitations, but if that is an option please send an invite to jbc247 at gmail dot com

I have an 8130 and I've been looking for an OTA sync for PIM data without having to move to hosted BES
Old 07-15-2008, 03:06 PM   #6
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

it is supposed to be coming out for BB soon according to their website
Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #7
gbnemail07
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A

only problem is your gonna lose a lot of privacy, they have to store your information somewhere and they will most likely make money by selling your information. no thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #8
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

yeah i thought about that too. i would be interested in seeing some information about their security stuff maybe i will ask them......
Old 07-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
scg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Dashwire.com

here is their privacy page but i dont have time to read it all right now maybe that will help someone else though
Old 07-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
wgimenes

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbnemail07 View Post
only problem is your gonna lose a lot of privacy, they have to store your information somewhere and they will most likely make money by selling your information. no thanks!
My point as well.

I tend to be suspicious of something for free, specially if it includes me giving them access to all my date in my device.

Not prejudging the service but just sceptical.

Glad I run a BES

EDIT

DATA, not DATE :P

END EDIT

Last edited by wgimenes; 07-15-2008 at 07:19 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
zkyevolved
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 25707D3B
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshonka View Post
Just heard about Dashwire today:
"A company called Dashwire this week unveiled free new software that essentially mirrors your cell phone on the Web, backing up all your data -- contacts, text messages, calls, photos, videos and phone settings -- and letting you access everything online. It does this not when you connect to your PC, but constantly over your phone's data connection.
Dashwire enables you to send and receive SMS messages online and set your ring tones, wallpapers, and speed dials -- all from your Web-based account (these changes are instantly updated on your phone). Dashwire works only with Windows Mobile 5.0 and 6.0 devices -- HTC Touch, AT&T Tilt, T-Mobile Dash, Samsung BlackJack, Palm Treo 750, Motorola Q series and others. The company says it's working on more platforms."

Has anyone heard of something like this for Blackberry?
The part about "letting you access everything online" is really attractive to me. I'd really like to have full access to all of my smartphone functions on my PC. Sometimes it's just easier that way.
I used this on my HTC Touch Dual, and it worked like a charm Loved it! Constant data connection though ... always uploading every picture I took :P lol.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
gbnemail07
Thumbs Must Hurt

checked out that page, just what I thought. Savvy use of words like primarily so that they can get away with doing "other things" with our information at our dispense. This is just another company looking to whore out our information, the privacy page is very similar to that of facebooks. I guess if you dont care this sounds like a great program but I will just back my stuff up manually and bypass being someones whore.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #13
Minstrels

Model: 9000
PIN: >Options>Status

i totally agree with that sentiment gbnemail07, i for one certailny wouldn't want all my private information and contacts being browsed at leisure by some monkey in a basement somewhere. Do they truely feel people are the nieve to think they won't abuse the information they gather in real time from your device while milking your data tariff!
Old 07-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Laurent08

Model: 8310
Carrier: MTN

zyb.com offers something like this, but for BB's it requires 3rd party software on the device ...
Old 07-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #15
Dashwire

Model: 8830

Blackberry users have no fear... Dashwire is (almost) here. I stumbled across this thread and I just wanted to try and make a few things clear.

First of all we're definitely still targeting our Blackberry release. It's still not set on a specific date but right now its looking like early next year (or if possible late this year). We're completely consumed with our Symbian launch at the moment, but after that its all Blackberry.

Second, it sounds like some of you have some privacy concerns. Totally get that as we are a small company offering a free product. We do have some revenue streams, but nothing that affects either users or users data. As for security, we take that topic very seriously around the office (no, we're not based in a basement). Your information is stored in your own private account which is password protected and https encrypted (similar to facebook). We never prowl through anyones data and do not sell or plan to sell any of your personal information. We definitely understand in a world where security breaches seem to happen too often, there is a concern for privacy. Our main goal is to ensure user safety and protect you from any privacy interruptions.

Whew sorry that was kinda long... hope it helps answer some questions. Needless to say we can't wait to become a bigger part of this community!

Last edited by Dashwire; 07-17-2008 at 11:53 AM..
Old 07-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #16
gbnemail07
Thumbs Must Hurt

can you expand on revenue streams, i have nothing against the product it sounds useful and handy but i dont like my information used in any ways and in my experience there is no such thing as a "free" product in this case my information, even my gender i dont want given out.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Dashwire

Model: 8830

To be honest that would be diving into our business model and I don't feel comfortable doing that at this time. But again we do absolutely nothing with user data. It's populated on your Dashwire dashboard page, and that's where it stays. Our first priority is our users, always has been. If we do anything to loose their trust then we wouldn't have a market for our product. We just don't want to do that.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #18
kennethmurrell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8110

I have used this with my other phones, and I trust it completely. Especially if you have Mac and you can't get the other programs to work, this is the best option I think. AND, its free! You can't beat that! Live on, Dashwire! Live on!
Closed Thread