CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: why blackberry users will bail on RIM

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothRunnings View Post
In this day and in age executives and CEO's alike don't care what's better as it only matters to them what's cooler and cheaper? And Android promises to be a $100 device within a years a time and offer everything it offers today plus more. RIM's market share is already hurting big time because of the Android and now they too will have to face the grim possibility of falling apart unless they too can lower the price of their devices.
The devices are cheap enouh. Corporations don't necessarely get the newest. There are plenty of $100 BBs on 3 year contracts. And corps don't have an aversion to 3 year contracts because the phone number will be active a lot longer. And if they feel the need to switch carriers, when you bring in a couple hundred devices to a new carrier, they usually cover the ETFs for you.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #162
PressureDrop
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: dr01d
Carrier: Verizon (LTE!)

If something good isn't out in the spring when my new every 2 hits, then I am strongly considering droid.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:43 PM   #163
Wurzelseppinger

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureDrop View Post
If something good isn't out in the spring when my new every 2 hits, then I am strongly considering droid.
I already did so and am using both of them right now. So far I can't really say which one I prefer. But I think that I'm gonna stick with droid. It's just too attractive and the advantages of BB are diminishing.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:09 PM   #164
padamssm

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

I find the droids very attractive and the browser experience is awesome (my main unhappiness with the Storm), but I don't want my mail to go through Google's server and I need all the functionality of Outlook. With a "hope springs eternal" perspective, I'm hanging on for the Storm 3 and Playbook, which could possibly give me all the things I'd love to have without losing anything I already have. Another lesson in patience, for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:31 AM   #165
caro68

Model: 9700
Carrier: Vodafone

I'm a BB9700 and love it. The battery life is great and honestly do I need all that other crap that comes along with the massive telephone bill in an iJunk? Nope!
Why would anyone bail on reliability, usability and a real battery life???
Old 12-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #166
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by caro68 View Post
I'm a BB9700 and love it. The battery life is great and honestly do I need all that other crap that comes along with the massive telephone bill in an iJunk? Nope!
Why would anyone bail on reliability, usability and a real battery life???
Beacause BlackBerry is not right for everyone or every business.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #167
MrGalione973

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

This is very interesting
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #168
jbburks

Model: 8800

Twice at work recently someone has asked if BlackBerry will be around in four years. We did an online survey and 5x as many users would rather have an iPhone. I'd rather manage BlackBerrys but user demand is driving us elsewhere.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM   #169
Dirtywater24

Model: 8310

I was resigned to ordering an Android, but after learning about the new BB 6 OS, I'm giving the Torch a shot. I like to type one-handed and the keyboard may be enough to keep me with BB.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #170
stanfna

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevecr View Post
At best two days being roughly twice as long as android or iphones though.
i am lucky to get through a day on one charge with my Droid Incredible.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:22 PM   #171
tydro456

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I am really seriously thinking about changing to another OS once March comes if something from RIM is not announced! Maybe Windows Phone 7, Microsoft said they would bave it by early 2011
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #172
BoostedSupra
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 242035eb
Carrier: att

i'm hoping the 9780 will keep me in the BB game. waiting on ATT ..
Old 12-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #173
am_beagle

Model: 8530

I moved away from BB a year from now. Techno evolves and BB stayed/ or being left behind. I love my Droid Incredible. Sorry BB.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #174
pv1

Model: 8700
Carrier: T-Mobile

After reading many of the comments here, I must say that Blackberry has its share of problems, even with the loyal. I used to be very loyal to Blackberry but I have abandoned and went to Android. Blackberry tried to be too many things to too many people rather than perfecting one, two, or maybe three phones at the max. iPhone dominates with one simple model. This allows them to "perfect" things on one device. RIM needs to release two or three models next year. I could see the line going down to a Torch like device and a Pearl like device.

RIM has a set of challenges ahead of it that I cannot believe, as a couple of years ago they were leaders in their field.

Build Quality (More attuned to the feel)
The first challenge is that their devices are plasticy, when compared to other devices today. This is okay if your phones are cheaper but they are not. The iPhone 4 has gorilla glass and steel, even the cheaply feeling Samsung Galaxy S phones have gorilla glass. People don't want trackballs to fall out, cheap leathery backs, or chrome to rub away. They are slowly fixing this, but give the people something good with great build quality.

OS
The OS is outdated. I saw OS6 yesterday for the first time and played around with it for a while. Nothing that great there. Think simplicity. I don't even think iPhone is good at this. Allow people to customize their homescreen with the stuff they want. I liked Blackberry OS 5 with a theme that allowed me to have missed calls, tasks, emails, and calendar events showing on the front of the device all at once. I could look at the device and instantly see what was going on.

These two things, along with the fact that their handsets should have been up to date with touchscreen, etc., have put BB up as the next company to be bought up by a larger company. If they don't release something great (and I don't mean an udpated Bold like the 9780...I mean something that we have not seen before) within the next 12 months, I am afraid Blackberry stock will be a fraction of what it is today and probably cease to exist within 24 months.

I have a couple of ideas I emailed RIM this date, and I hope they incorporate them into new devices as Apple and Android are killing them. I do mean killing, too. The only reason we haven't seen more aggressive turnover is because people are in contracts. When those expire, companies are giving away Android devices and iPhone for cheaper than Blackberry devices (esp to companies, which is the perspective I write from).

The clock is ticking.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #175
Preroll

Model: Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by padamssm View Post
I find the droids very attractive and the browser experience is awesome (my main unhappiness with the Storm), but I don't want my mail to go through Google's server and I need all the functionality of Outlook. With a "hope springs eternal" perspective, I'm hanging on for the Storm 3 and Playbook, which could possibly give me all the things I'd love to have without losing anything I already have. Another lesson in patience, for me.
I feel exactly the same way. I find Droid to be quite attractive as well but I don't want my mail to go through big brother Google archiving everything that goes through it. I'm way out of contract (like 7 months) and I'm still testing my patience that a Torch like device may come out on Verizon that will incorporate the LTE network. I'm also holding out for the Playbook. I'll be going to CES in about two weeks so I'm sure I'll hit both RIM and Verizon's booth.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:45 AM   #176
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preroll View Post
I feel exactly the same way. I find Droid to be quite attractive as well but I don't want my mail to go through big brother Google archiving everything that goes through it. I'm way out of contract (like 7 months) and I'm still testing my patience that a Torch like device may come out on Verizon that will incorporate the LTE network. I'm also holding out for the Playbook. I'll be going to CES in about two weeks so I'm sure I'll hit both RIM and Verizon's booth.
I'm not quite out of contract yet, but I feel the same way about Google and the Droid. Android is probably the least secure of the iPhone, Andoid, BlackBerry.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #177
bigolsparky

Model: 9550
PIN: t of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Carrier: VZW and ATT

I hope RIM has an epiphany before my next upgrade. I don't want to leave them. If I had to upgrade today, it would be a Droid X.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #178
balansboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

I took the plunge and went with Android (HTC Evo). I don't e-mail much and don't use it for work, so the security issues aren't as vital to me as some. I use my phone for mainly Web, texting, and apps. There are a lot of things I like about Blackberry, I really miss the platform and intigration, which is why I still visit here in hope of hearing that Sprint will come out with something new and improved. Still waiting......
Old 12-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #179
benf13
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I have a Bold 9000, my contract has been up since May of 2010, I want a new phone but am having a lot of trouble finding the right phone, my Daughter has a Droid and my Son a Captivate, the problem I have with both is that they both require neumerous steps to get anything done, I can accomplish the same tasks with my Bold or the Torch much faster than either the Captivate or Droid, I like the Torch but the 2 year old technology kills that deal, the 9700/9780 are way too small for me, more a ladies phone, waiting for the perfect phone is a waste of time, I guess ill wait a few more months and hope RIM catches up with a killer phone but past performance makes that prospect look bleak.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:10 PM   #180
TOXICSEMEN

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-MOBILE

they cost that much cause they are well built. unlike the one drop and done wonders...lol really though when you drop youre evo dont forget to open your wallet!
Closed Thread