BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
I don't get it.

How does BB lag behind others? Someone give me an example. Please don't say browser if that's all you can come up with. And I find it funny people keeping saying its the same thing over and over.
Either you haven't read the whole thread or you are just trolling...

Yes, browser is one reason and people seem to be browsing with their phones more and more...

To each person needed features are different, but if a manufacturer pack more than the competition, then more people is satisfied (of course it has to be well done with a nice UI)

So repeating myself... to me I wish I had faster processor, more battery, more video playback options (such as full screen and output to TV or Projector), more internal memory (I see no reason for the Storm 2 to have 256 mb internal, 2 GB media internal, and microSDHC slot... the internal memory should be integrated) or ability to install apps on memory cards

Quote:
I'd sometimes wish RIM would just make a full touch screen device, with a dual core 2.0ghz processor, 2GB of RAM, 12MP camera, and slap a BB sticker on it just so people could shut up. Just sounds like penis envy or something.
Yes, I also wish something like this happened... thats exactly what I'm looking for, cause... the more advance a smartphone is when released, the longer it will last in terms of becoming obsolete...

But when RIM keeps releasing devices with processors of 1/2 ghz, 192 MB of RAM, and 512 MB of internal memory this make the device a novelty for about 2 weeks....

Im not complaining about the camera because the 3.2 mp found in my Storm 2 takes better pics than some of the 5 mp found in Android phones...
Old 07-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #22
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

That doesn't answer the question of how RIM lags behind the others.

Last time I checked, 1ghz processor is not the standard on every phone. Actually can you list how many phones have that now? About 3. These are "super phones" their fairly new. Just like technology, it gets released and more and more makers start picking it up.

Only thing blackberry truely lagged on is the browser, your right, they have over 2 years. It got horrible after 4.5. Now android has a good browser like the iphone. Besides that, no one else.

Try being a little bit more reasonable. Question for you, know what processor comes with the Bold 9000? Do you know when the phone came out? Its. 624mhz processor. What phones besides these superphones that hit the market since has a processor that quick? Oh and 256mb of memory/ram has been standard on BBs for a while now. Your right its not much compared these superphones now (to be honest I'm not quite sure exactly how much they have) but list all android phones that have been released. They got about 192mb which was pretty much their standard.

You can say RIM lags after they fail to release a standard that has been out for over a year. Last time I check, they are always working on something new, just like everyone else, except for the companies that fail.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
waleed_butt007

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Student

Hello Guys I am new in Blackberryforums.com so plz can anyone tell me how to post a thread ???
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Eh, are you related to Lunkhead?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #25
BUC

Quote:
That doesn't answer the question of how RIM lags behind the others,
To answer your question, RIM is lagging behind because is the only one not releasing a "super phone" as you called it.

It would be good to have that option.

That's the whole point.

And how am I not being reasonable? I posted that I own and love my Storm 2 but I only wish it would do more! That's it.

RIM was innovative with the Bold but has been playing catching on ever since.

You can't be that blind or narrow minded to ignore what rim is lacking today...

Anyway I already stated all my case and points.

This is all about opinions.

Good Day
Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #26
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The BlackBerry may indeed be a glorified pager, but it's a damn good one, and it happens to fit the way I work better than anything else. And really, what else matters? I'm always looking for something better, but have yet to find it.

<sent from my iPad as an Apple Fanboy Extraudinaire>
Old 07-12-2010, 07:58 AM   #27
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
And Android? Really...what's different from the first Android device, the G1 vs the EVO? in fact, difference between any Android device. Sense UI, MotoBLUR, touchwiz? Really?!? Hardware...that's it really, processor, memory, camera? Am I missing something? Isn't that a given? Doesn't technology advance every year (or heck, every few months)? They get faster processors, more memory, high res camera, it's a given! Someone is always going to out do someone else.

And please....Android updates, from 1.5->1.6->2.1 etc etc and Apple OS updates are just as excited as well....the BB updating from 4.2->4.3->4.6->5.0! They are proven platforms. It's a no shit, you won't see anything change drastically. Maybe looking 10 years from now and looking back, than yea you'll notice. It's just like windows operating system, it ain't that different. Just a skin. But if you want to look at windows 3.1 or something vs Windows 7, that's about what....20 year difference?
You must be kidding, right? Having used the BB for many years and finally trying out Android with the EVO, I must say you are mistaken. There are a lot of differences between the G1 and the EVO. Look at the specs alone, 4G, 8 MP camera, 2 LEDs, 1.3 MP front facing camera, 1GZ SnapDragon processor, 1 GB ROM, 512 GB RAM, kickstand, 4.3 inch screen, etc. Those are a lot of hardware differences. And you want to talk about small incremental upgrades, think again with Android. Here is what 2.0 added to 1.6.

Code:
New User Features

Quick Contact for Android

Multiple Accounts

Messaging Search

Email Combined Inbox

Camera Modes
Contacts and accounts

* Multiple accounts can be added to a device for email and contact synchronization, including Exchange accounts. (Handset manufacturers can choose whether to include Exchange support in their devices.)
    * Developers can create sync adapters that provide synchronization with additional data sources.
    * Quick Contact for Android provides instant access to a contact's information and communication modes. For example, a user can tap a contact photo and select to call, SMS, or email the person. Other applications such as Email, Messaging, and Calendar can also reveal the Quick Contact widget when you touch a contact photo or status icon.

Email

* Exchange support.
    * Combined inbox to browse email from multiple accounts in one page.

Messaging

* Search functionality for all saved SMS and MMS messages.
    * Auto delete the oldest messages in a conversation when a defined limit is reached.

Camera

* Built-in flash support
    * Digital zoom
    * Scene mode
    * White balance
    * Color effect
    * Macro focus

Android virtual keyboard

* An improved keyboard layout to makes it easier to hit the correct characters and improve typing speed.
    * The framework's multi-touch support ensures that key presses aren't missed while typing rapidly with two fingers.
    * A smarter dictionary learns from word usage and automatically includes contact names as suggestions.

Browser

* Refreshed UI with actionable browser URL bar enables users to directly tap the address bar for instant searches and navigation.
    * Bookmarks with web page thumbnails.
    * Support for double-tap zoom.
    * Support for HTML5:
          o Database API support, for client-side databases using SQL.
          o Application cache support, for offline applications.
          o Geolocation API support, to provide location information about the device.
          o <video> tag support in fullscreen mode.

Calendar

* Agenda view provides infinite scrolling.
    * Events indicate the attending status for each invitee.
    * Invite new guests to events.

New Platform Technologies
Media Framework

Revamped graphics architecture for improved performance that enables better hardware acceleration.
Bluetooth

* Bluetooth 2.1
    * New BT profiles: Object Push Profile (OPP) and Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
And 2.2 adds to 2.1 Source: http://developer.android.com/sdk/and...ighlights.html
Code:
New User Features
Home

New Home screen tips widget assists new users on how to configure the home screen with shortcuts and widgets and how to make use of multiple home screens.

The Phone, applications Launcher, and Browser now have dedicated shortcuts on the Home screen, making it easy to access them from any of the 5 home screen panels.
Exchange support

Improved security with the addition of numeric pin or alpha-numeric password options to unlock device. Exchange administrators can enforce password policy across devices.

Remote wipe: Exchange administrators can remotely reset the device to factory defaults to secure data in case device is lost or stolen.

Exchange Calendars are now supported in the Calendar application.

Auto-discovery: you just need to know your user-name and password to easily set up and sync an Exchange account (available for Exchange 2007 and higher).

Global Address Lists look-up is now available in the Email application, enabling users to auto-complete recipient names from the directory.

Camera and Gallery

Gallery allows you to peek into picture stacks using a zoom gesture.

Camera onscreen buttons provide easy access to a new UI for controling zoom, flash, white balance, geo-tagging, focus and exposure. Camcorder also provides an easy way to set video size/quality for MMS and YouTube.

With the LED flash now enabled for the Camcorder, videos can be shot at night or in low light settings.
Portable hotspot

Certain devices like the Nexus One can be turned into a portable Wi-Fi hotspot that can be shared with up to 8 devices.

You can use your Android-powered phone as a 3G connection for a Windows or Linux laptop by connecting their phone to the computer with a USB cable. The connection is then shared between the two devices.

Multiple keyboard languages

Multi-lingual users can add multiple languages to the keyboard and switch between multiple Latin-based input languages by swiping across the space bar. This changes the keys as well as the auto-suggest dictionary.
Improved performance

Performance of the browser has been enhanced using the V8 engine, which enables faster loading of JavaScript-heavy pages.

Dalvik Performance Boost: 2x-5x performance speedup for CPU-heavy code over Android 2.1 with Dalvik JIT.

The graph to the right shows the performance speedup from Android 2.1 to Android 2.2 using various benchmark tests. For example, LinPack is now more than 5 times faster.

Kernel Memory Management Boost: Improved memory reclaim by up to 20x, which results in faster app switching and smoother performance on memory-constrained devices.

New Platform Technologies
Media framework

* New media framework (Stagefright) that supports local file playback and HTTP progressive streaming
    * Continued support for OpenCore in Android 2.2

Bluetooth

* Voice dialing over Bluetooth
    * Ability to share contacts with other phones
    * Support for Bluetooth enabled car and desk docks
    * Improved compatibility matrix with car kits and headsets

2.6.32 kernel upgrade

* HIGHMEM support for RAM >256MB
    * SDIO scheduling and BT improvements

New Developer Services
Android Cloud to Device Messaging

Apps can utilize Android Cloud to Device Messaging to enable mobile alert, send to phone, and two-way push sync functionality.
Android Application Error Reports

New bug reporting feature for Android Market apps enables developers to receive crash and freeze reports from their users. The reports will be available when they log into their publisher account.
New Developer APIs
Apps on external storage

Applications can now request installation on the shared external storage (such as an SD card).
Media framework

Provides new APIs for audio focus, routing audio to SCO, and auto-scan of files to media database. Also provides APIs to let applications detect completion of sound loading and auto-pause and auto-resume audio playback.
Camera and Camcorder

New preview API doubles the frame rate from ~10FPS to ~20FPS. Camera now supports portrait orientation, zoom controls, access to exposure data, and a thumbnail utility. A new camcorder profile enables apps to determine device hardware capablities.
Graphics

New APIs for OpenGL ES 2.0, working with YUV image format, and ETC1 for texture compression.
Data backup

Apps can participate in data backup and restore, to ensure that users maintain their data after performing a factory reset or when switching devices.
Device policy manager

New device policy management APIs allow developers to write "device administrator" applications that can control security features on the device, such as the minimum password strength, data wipe, and so on. Users can select the administrators that are enabled on their devices.
UI framework

New "car mode" and "night mode" controls and configurations allow applications to adjust their UI for these situations. A scale gesture detector API provides improved definition of multi-touch events. Applications can now customize the bottom strip of a TabWidget.
These seem like a lot of changes and 2.1 was released in January, 2.2 was released in July for the Nexus One and is to be released to the Droid and other phones by the end of summer. So you're talking about a lot of SIGNIFICANT updates in merely 6 months.

Granted , some of these features are already on BlackBerry using BES like remote wipe, etc. However, you can't say they're small changes.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 07-12-2010 at 08:01 AM..
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
DoctorEvil8

Carrier: Telus

In the last 2 months, here are the phones I have been using...

Blackberry Tour 9630 (OS 5.0)
HTC Legend (Android 2.1)
iPhone 3GS (iOS 4.0)

I have been using my Tour since last year. The HTC Legend was new in June and the iPhone 3GS was new to me this July. I wanted something different. Something that managed web-like stuff better. Something with better email. Something with anything that was better then my Blackberry.

After playing with many of the features that each phone offer, the phone I will be using beyond this month... the Tour.

The HTC Legend's onscreen keyboard is small, hard to hit the right keys, but the correction utility is fantastic. As you are typing, it lists a few choices of the word it thinks you want, highlighting the one it will intend to use. Just press on the word you want and carry on. Nicely done.

Apple's keyboard is better spaced for typing, so I have less errors. However, the guess a word function is retarded. It usually guesses the wrong word, and I have to click the X next to it to NOT use it. The sequence of events for that is backasswards.

On both the above phones, I refuse to use the phone sideways to increase the keyboard. I want the phone to be supported with ONE hand, not two. That is what is comfortable. Two hands are for gaming controllers.

The Tour typed like it always had. Perfectly. Typing has NEVER been a problem from day 1 on my Tour. Holding a letter down for a capital letter? What a novel idea! Only one button to push, not the SHIFT then the letter. Apple and Google, are you listening? And it never takes my word and change it to something else. If I can't type properly, that's my own fault. It's okay, I can take the blame for my own mistakes.

So now comes the email. Google can connect to Exchange. Apple can connect to Exchange. Without a BES (I don't have one), Blackberry uses Outlook Web Access to connect to Exchange. Blackberry's OWA is delayed a few minutes by this method. So, I give points to Apple and Google there. Oh look, both Apple and Google offer "PUSH" email. Great!! I guess Blackberry is screwed now. Okay, let's turn it on and see how it works.
3 (censored)ing hours later, my email is pushed to me. Apple and Google you lying (censored)ers!!!!! 3 hours?!?!? Are you (censored) ing serious!?!?!?! Me thinks you cannot PUSH email like your software is claiming. Okay, I take those points back.

From that point on, the other capabilties of the phones didn't matter. Yes, Android is pretty, has many apps and Facebook doesn't suck on it. Yes, Apple is the easiest phone on the market, billions of apps and Facebook doesn't suck on it. Oh, they both do web surfing better than BB, but everyone already knows that . But your on-screen typing sucks. Apple's autocorrection is pathetic. Google, okay, your autocorrection is cool, but your memory drains faster then a flushing toilet. 180+MB of available RAM on fresh boot, down to about 80MB with less than an hour of playing on the phone? And I downloaded the program to KILL all apps. People complaining about Blackberry death? Stay away from Android.

My wife gets the iPhone and the HTC Legend went the way of Kijiji. They are great toys for everything except up to the minute email and accurate keyboard typing.

The Tour is back in my hand and has never felt better.

EDIT NOTE: This is my second Tour and it works fantastic. The first had the trackball problem which made the phone a nightmare.

Last edited by DoctorEvil8; 07-14-2010 at 09:45 PM..
Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #29
BUC

Great Review and summary of your time with those phones DoctorEvil8 !

I too agree that typing and email is what keep BB on top in my book. Even with the storm 2 touch screen which I find better than most physical keyboards once you get used to.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 AM   #30
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

@DoctorEvil - I have my EVO setup with ActiveSync using TouchDown and I have instant push email. Not too sure what you're referring to with the 3 hour delay. I don't even need TouchDown but I prefer the interface and having everything (calendar, contacts, email, tasks, etc) in one place.

As for the typing, I agree. I do prefer typing on the BlackBerry much more than the EVO although I have gotten pretty good on the EVO with time. I think the 4.3 inch screen plays a big part in that as well. Also, try Swype. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it makes typing very easy and a lot faster.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-15-2010, 10:31 PM   #31
DoctorEvil8

Carrier: Telus

The 3 hour delay was on the iPhone. It was set to check email for every 3 hours. This was a default setting when I received the phone. However, I did have PUSH enabled in the settings. So when my email came in 3 hours later, it was 'pulled', not pushed. Therefore, my conclusion is the PUSH function does not work with my exchange server. For that matter, it doesn't work with my Roger's email either.

On the HTC Legend, my mail came in every 15 minutes as the settings to check email was set to 15 minutes. The PUSH setting was enabled as well. I tested this by using my laptop and sending emails to my exchange and rogers accounts. Nothing came in outside of the 15 minute window unless I manually selected to refresh my inbox. This indicates to me that PUSH was not working on the Legend either.

From my personal experience, I was not impressed. Maybe certain servers need certain settings for these to work. From the servers and email accounts I use, the PUSH function does nothing on the Android and Apple phones. So for me, if I want PUSH email, Blackberry is my only option.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #32
bigolsparky

Model: 9550
PIN: t of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout
Carrier: VZW and ATT

To put it simply and answer the question "How does the BlackBerry lag behind others?"

Browser...we do use those in the business world these days. Along with e-mail. I rarely travel with my laptop these days.

I have used nothing but BlackBerry for several years now, but am considering a Droid. I am hoping RIM does something with OS6 for Verizon soon, as I do consider myself a loyal BlackBerry user. The existing BB browser to put it in simple terms, is a turd.