BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
aburdick

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Need help -- Blackberry Curve or Palm Centro?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

I am currently thinking of upgrading my Palm Treo 700p with Verizon, and have narrowed my decision down to the Palm Centro and the Blackberry Curve 8330. I see that the Curve gets very good reviews online, and my girlfriend has one for her work, and really likes it, so I am tempted. To help make my decision, though, there are a couple of questions I have.

First, I currently have a calling plan with Verizon which gives me 450 minutes per month for $39.99, and an unlimited data plan for $44.99; tack on an additional $5 for 250 text messages, and my monthly bill is usually around $80. My first question is: can I expect similar prices if I switch to a BlackBerry Curve? I did some research on Verizon's website today, and I couldn't make any sense out of the different plans -- there were the Nationwide Basic plans starting at $39.99, Blackberry Nationwide Email plans starting at $79.99, the Blackberry Nationwide Email & Messaging plans starting at $99.99... Am I going to need only one of these plans, or a combination of them? Who can give me a common sense summary of what plan or plans I'm going to need?

Second, I currently sync all my calendar / contacts / to-do lists / notes from my Treo to Outlook, but from what I've read, there are occasionally problems with Blackberry's sync to Outlook; supposedly, there was a recent patch, which addressed these issues. Is that true? In general, how is the syncing between Blackberry and Outlook? Are there any third-party apps, which improve the syncing?

Third, I currently use the third-party application PDANet on my Palm Treo 700p for tethering my laptop, in those situations where I don't have wireless internet access; PDANet allows me to connect to the internet, without paying Verizon's additional monthly fee for wireless internet access. Does the Blackberry Curve support tethering, or will I have to pay that extra fee with Verizon? I have researched this question online, but have found varying answers...

I appreciate any assistance you all could provide on these issues...

Thanks,
Andy Burdick
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #2
raja_3012
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iPhn4
Carrier: AT&T

I have never used a Palm but I can say that BlackBerry curve will prove to be much better as per the requirements you laid out in your post. I am on T-Mobile.. it offers my 600 whenever minutes with unlimited nights and weekends for 39.99.. add to it 19.99 it gives me unlimited data plan.. that was about plan.. let's talk abt the phone.

Curve is Wifi enabled which means you can connect any free network or even an encrypted network if you know the PSK (Pre Shared Key). Curve syncs with Outlook seamlessly.

I think since you are still deciding you may want to wait for few more days and wait for the Blackberry Bold.

Nokia 2100 > Nokia 6100 > Samsung t319 > Nokia 5300 > Blackberry 8320 > Blackberry 8900 > iPhone 3GS > iPhone 4
Old 09-09-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Demon
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 304fcd63

For the Blackberry you can use your current voice plan with a $29.99 unlimited data plan which would save you $15 from where you are at right now. As far as syncing, I sync with outlook and have had no issues. With tethering there is not a way around paying the tethering charge for Blackberrys.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
GXX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

How is $39.99 + $44.99 + $5 = $80?

Anyway, if you go for a BB and just need email and web (BIS) then select the 450 voice plan and add the $29.99 option for BB. This should bring it to $70 before adding text.

I have no idea why their pre-bundled BB plan is $79.99 when you can order it for cheaper separately.

Syncing can be done using the Desktop Manager. I don't use it, but people seem to say it works.

I don't believe there's anything like PDAnet for BB. VZW actually has a tethering option that they want you to pay for.

PS: VZW Curve has no wifi, don't listen to raja_3012.

Last edited by GXX; 09-09-2008 at 11:23 PM..
Old 09-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXX View Post
I have no idea why their pre-bundled BB plan is $79.99 when you can order it for cheaper separately.
Because it includes BES service, which saves $5 with the bundled plan.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
GXX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon View Post
Because it includes BES service, which saves $5 with the bundled plan.
Gotcha, the verbiage on the VZW site make them sound identical in that bundled package.

For OP's intents, he just needs to tack on the $29.99 plan. For BES as a separate add-on, it looks like it's $44.99. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Demon.

I'm still on a 4000 minute plan that doesn't exist anymore. I'm not even sure what I pay for BB service....
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXX View Post
Gotcha, the verbiage on the VZW site make them sound identical in that bundled package.

For OP's intents, he just needs to tack on the $29.99 plan. For BES as a separate add-on, it looks like it's $44.99. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong Demon.
You are correct.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #8
aburdick

PIN: N/A

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions; given that the monthly cost is going to be comparable, if not even cheaper, than the Treo, I'm going to jump at it...

Incidentally, someone had a question about my monthly bill, and how the numbers could add up to $80 -- I have a couple monthly discounts that I didn't mention...

Thanks again!
Andy Burdick
Old 09-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Demon

If you have discounts on your account already I can probably bring the price of the Curve down a bit for you. If you would like me to take a look feel free to PM me.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 AM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Having been a Treo fanboi in a past life, I gave serious consideration to the Centro when it came out. You really have to try it and get the feel of the keyboard, live and in person. I couldn't stand it. The Curve keyboard is so much better than the Centro's it's not even funny.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburdick View Post
Second, I currently sync all my calendar / contacts / to-do lists / notes from my Treo to Outlook, but from what I've read, there are occasionally problems with Blackberry's sync to Outlook; supposedly, there was a recent patch, which addressed these issues. Is that true? In general, how is the syncing between Blackberry and Outlook? Are there any third-party apps, which improve the syncing?
Sync issues really aren't all that common in my experience. YMMV but DM syncs the BB and Outlook very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raja_3012 View Post
Curve is Wifi enabled which means you can connect any free network or even an encrypted network if you know the PSK (Pre Shared Key).
"Curve" refers to a number of BB models. The 8320 has WiFi. The 8330, which the OP would use with Verizon, does not.

Last edited by takeshi; 09-10-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Closed Thread