Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
schale01

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default facebook contact sync

Please Login to Remove!

I have the latest version of the facebook app (v1.6 I believe). There was a function added that allows your address book to sync with your facebook contacts. There is an option to request phone numbers and connect to blackberry contact. No mater how hard I try though I cannot get the application to add phone numbers from facebook to my address book. I can view their phone numbers in the facebook app and they are linked to the contacts but they just will not add the information to the bb address book.

Anyone else having this issue. Workarounds? Fixes?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

No, this does not happen.
The phone numbers in a facebook profile will not transfer to your BB contact.
The only info that is synced is name, any info that ends up in "company" field on the BB, and picture. as well as adding a facebook field with their name.

The request phone number, only sends a message to that person to add their phone number to their facebook profile.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
schale01

Model: 9630

Well Okay, I guess I just figured that when the application says "request phone number" and "link to blackberry contact" that it would be able to put 2 and 2 together. I guess I was expecting too much.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

unfortunately, yes you were.
requesting their phone number does one thing.
linking a FB contact with a BB contact does another thing.

they don't in any way link.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #5
gaucho206

Model: 8330

i'm pretty paranoid about my contacts being synched with any external site, so how did you learn of what exact fields are synched between my bb and fb? thank you for any response!
Old 06-24-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

nothing is "synced" except matching the name of the persons FB profile with putting that name in your contact for that person under FACEBOOK: NAME

Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
yuanzhoulu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8120
Carrier: t-mobile

I'm actually curious as to how it does the matching. I think it may use the name OR email, as in many cases I have different names between FB and my BB phone book, yet it still matches.

By the way, it seems that it selectively gets picture photos for some people, and others it just refuses to. Not entirely sure what's going on there.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

If someone hasnt updated their picture within a certain amount of time FB app doesnt "see" it and wont download to your contact.

No, you say you want John to match with Bill, and it will happily do it, but will then add to Bill's contact on BB a field that says:
Facebook Name: John.

so when you use the options to send facebook message to that contact it will send it to facebook name: john, instead of BB contact Bill.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
Ryan F

Model: 8230
Carrier: Telus

Is there a way to disable the syncing feature or have certain options off with the Facebook app? I don't want the company names brought up in my contacts and I would like to be able to not have pictures displayed when someone calls.

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

in the facebook app, select menu - options
and uncheck whatever boxes you dont want.

if you want contacts to sync with facebook, then you cant have it to not have company or pics.
for example if you check the box for contacts and the box for pics, you can sync them.
then you could delete the pic and company name from the BB contact, but next time you refresh the contact from within facebook, it will download it again.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #11
Ryan F

Model: 8230
Carrier: Telus

Thanks bud!
Closed Thread