Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:57 PM   #1
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default My Review of the 8700c Unlocked on T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

I recently purchased a Blackberry Cingular 8700c for use with T-mobile. Got it unlocked the same day. I've only owned the phone for 3 days. Do I love it ? YES it is the most rock solid piece of PDA I've owned so far. My gripes?: No Camera, No Picture Caller ID, Navigation is easy but you really gotta learn shortcuts, THE WAY IT VIBRATES AND THEN RINGS sucks! ( You can't set it to do both at the same time.. it will vibrate about 2 times and then the tone of choice will come on..but it's not that big of a gripe because I just set it to vibrate in the holster because I know its clipped to my waist/pocket anyway).
gripe #247: SMS/Email...You recieve the alerts in a tone..but I wish there were "notification pop ups"

But to be honest though. I REALLY do love this thing. No matter if it's geared towards business customers. Once this phone hits T-Mobile I think a lot of stuff will change. This phone has branched out to just be a FINE PIECE OF PHONE. I think I read somewhere about some talk about camera and more multimedia integration. I can see that coming very soon on the "next" device.

* Using the BHARTI software with the zen theme. Sometimes I really do wonder how much I would like the phone without it. I mean it just simply OWNZ! Uncluttered desktop feel.

IM

*Still wondering what people are using for Instant Messanging software. I am only on BIS not BES and using T-mobile service. I have a wide variety of choices. I guess I can start "Demoing". Causerie, Web Messager, IM+, Verichat, Yak-On, Google Talk.

STOCK PLASTIC HOLSTER

* Just realized my "in holster" functions aren't working. Anyone know what could be wrong? I set it to vibrate+tone while in holster and it doesn't work. It only does the "tone". :( .. Also can someone please tell me how to remove from the holster smoothly? I know that sounds EXTRA rookie but I've almost dropped my 8700c numerous times. I figured out a somewhat smooth method by gripping the sides of the device with one hand and two fingers (thumb and first finger closest to thumb) and then with the other hand I sorta just yang it by the clip. That method works as if the blackberry was meant to be pulled out that way, but at the same time I hit the trackwheel every now and then and it's annoying.

BEST BLUETOOTH HEADSET TO PAIR WITH 8700C

So far from reading various threads regarding this matter I've gathered that the best bluetooth headsets are:

Plantronics Discovery 640
Plantronics Voyager 510
Plantronics BT
JabraBT250v
Motorola H500
Motorola H700

But whichever headset works/fits best for the end user is what matters

This is my review :/ Along with Gripes.. Please feel free to give any feedback: good or bad

Thanks for taking the time to read
Old 03-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #2
lrdiaz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

I was able to download the TMO IM application for the 7290 available at the TMO site, and install on the 8700. One can only login to one service at a time.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
cschrage

Model: 9700
Carrier: TMO

I agree the plastic holder blows. It's mass production creates many instances where...the darn thing just doesn't fit right.

A big plus for me has been EDGE and the ability (in pinch) to teather and use my laptop.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
jonberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 950

Nice review, thanks.

How did you get it unlocked?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Check for a thread called, Unlocking the berry
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #6
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

I have an unlocked 8700c on T-Mobile, I use the Plantronics 640 BT headset. I have found this to be the best comibination thus far. I also purchased the OEM leather case from Smart Phone Depot, but I am really thinking about the SENA case without a clip for the times I am not wearing it on my belt.
My only grip is the Bluetooth signal isn't as strong as my 7290 or my Razr but hey I can live with it. I am glad it doesn't have a camera, cameras on phones are a low quality anyway. I like the fact that I can take my berry anywhere and not get hassled, unlike when I had my razr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 03-17-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
tnj4uga

Model: 8300
Carrier: att

Are you placing in the holster with the screen facing out? That could be the issue with it not recognizing the holster. Screen facing in may also help with removing it from the holster. I just grab it and it naturally 'comes out for me (although I have ordered the OEM leather case from Smart Phone Depot).

Hope I could help!
Old 03-17-2006, 07:53 PM   #8
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Try Ramble a free AIM program. I Use a Plantronics V510 bluetooth headset, it is fantastic, comfortable, certainly loud enough, and people here me well.

With the in holster functions the culprit is the magnet. Either you are placing the BB facing the wrong way from the magnet or it does not line up properly, to test it place the bb on the desk and using the holster with the clip towards the bb and golding it accross the top of it move it very close to the area around the space key. If it turns the screen off the magnet is working and I would try then to face it the opposite way or get another magnet and tape it from the outside closer to were it will turn it off. Good luck.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #9
delmarco

Model: 9790

I looks like most of the reviewers gripes center around not having the "toy features" that come with teen-geared phones.
I disagree in that respect...I hope to never see the day where BB phones come with the standard 1 megapix camera feature and 50cent/Britney Spears ring tones.
I'm sorry but if you want HipHop and Pop music to play when you get a phone call then get a Razr and if you want a camera also get a Razr or a try this idea.... get an actual digital camera.

BB are not toys. And should not be looked upon with any regards that they will be better with toy features. Whiles music and low resolution cameras and games may make a phone fun, it does NOT make a phone good.

That is one of things I love about blackberry is it specialized in what it does and DOES NOT try to pretend to be something that it is not.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

I disagree. Some of the features that you percieve to be "toy" features are all about becoming closer to having a convergence device. Not saying that people are ever going to be satisfied 100 percent with their device. The closer it is, the more people are going to be happy. I personally love being able to do "everything" with my device. I would think that is the point of carrying around a brick or semi brick around in your pants. And there's just those times that you never really think are going to happen, but sure enough they do. Those times when you need a camera, and when you don't really want to bother with purchasing some digital camera just "for the occasion."

As far as ringtones go, I create my own all the time. I think it gets pretty useful to be able to use a custom ringtone other than the standard Cingular/carrier ringtones that come with your device. They stay in your head more because it is either a song/catch phrase that you like, and you know who it is attatched to before even looking at your phone.

All this "get a razr" talk really doesn't seem like the solution. Why would I ever want a phone without a querty keyboard and full internet capability? same reason why someone wouldn't want a pda brick. It all balances out. People can gripe all they want...The only solution is to get a better device or device that comes the closest to fulfilling their needs. Or they can keep griping as long as they make suggestions to the manufacturer because realistically our voices get heard with the right amount of people

I'm not flaming anyone or trying to start a huge debate. Heck, I've only been a member for 2 weeks. But I love resorting to forums and such resources for help in my devices. Thank you all for replying to this thread. I personally still am wondering if I'm willing to sacrifice a rock solid device for a device that includes more features but is instable. Or I can wait to see if RIM really end up giving in and jumping on the multimedia bandwagon and add those 2 or 3 minor things that people such as me whine about
Old 03-19-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
delmarco

Model: 9790

I understand where you are coming from. True one can always add more to a device, without detracting from what it is. The BB 8700c is a great phone as is. Adding stuff wont detract, but adding new, untried gimmicks such as a poor 1.3 MP camera, Windows Mobile 2003, sub par GPS, Extra SD slots and not adding battery intergrity nor RAM to support all this is basically what killed the HP hw6515 concept before it even hit shelves. Now even Cingular sales rep have shunned me from buying that phone whenever I go to the store. The even prefer the lesser quality flips for phone function.

Basically when you study the hw6515, you'll understand why adding more right now is not the best thing.
Of course the technology will get better slowly. So will the BB RIM devices, as they incorporate tried and tested gimmicks and not just every new trick that comes in the door. For example color screens were out a year or two before the 7230 series had color. And when it finally got color in the 7280/7290 it was great. Now the 8700c has not only copied color TFTs that everyone else is doing, rather they've improved upon it by adding an ambient self adjusting light sensor. How cool is that?

I think the next cool gadget that promises to safely encapsulate all the "of the moment" tricks and toys" is the Motorola Q phone. Perhaps...it pulls it off.
Hopefully that will set new standards that the next generation BB RIM devices will surpass and improve upon.

And until then I can patiently wait and be happy with all that my 8700c does for me today.
Regards
Delmarco.

Last edited by delmarco; 03-19-2006 at 11:02 PM..
Old 03-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #12
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah the funny thing is. The more I search around for "better devices"..the more I love my 8700c. It's because it performs INCREDIBLY. And it's just rock solid. Never a crash. I love the fact that I have a tough screen instead of a soft touch screen. There's a reason why most of the major business out here in Los Angeles purchase Blackberry devices over any other device for their clients. I've always wondered what the buzz was about for what I percieved to be an "inferior" device compared to my Treo 650 and PPC-6700 that I previously owned. Now I know...and I'm glad I got to taste it on the latest and greatest BB device - the 8700c. I wonder if these devices are coming to Sprint? I recently switched over about a month ago to T-Mobile. I love the rate plans so far but I DO miss the coverage and EVDO speed of CDMA technology. You know you are a geek when you switch providers for a phone device...haha!
Old 03-19-2006, 11:25 PM   #13
aphr0deity
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mo

I'm in LA for the weekend and I'm TRULY surprised at the lack of GSM coverage here. In Atlanta, T-Mobile and Cingular are the leading providers and have great coverage.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
dialekt
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone have any more thoughts on Bluetooth headsets to pair with the 8700c? I'm really looking at the 640 from Plantronics but worried I might have to constantly shove it in my ear because it might slip out. I need something that FITS and sounds good.

510 looks cool but it's definitely bigger. It seems more solid as it locks around your whole ear.

the 250v also locks around your ear and has a "vibrate" function which is kinda cool for loud environments I'd assume.

I'm gonna read some more threads until a somewhat more recent reply is posted..

thanks again
Old 03-20-2006, 01:05 AM   #15
will4cani

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
I understand where you are coming from. True one can always add more to a device, without detracting from what it is. The BB 8700c is a great phone as is. Adding stuff wont detract, but adding new, untried gimmicks such as a poor 1.3 MP camera, Windows Mobile 2003, sub par GPS, Extra SD slots and not adding battery intergrity nor RAM to support all this is basically what killed the HP hw6515 concept before it even hit shelves. Now even Cingular sales rep have shunned me from buying that phone whenever I go to the store. The even prefer the lesser quality flips for phone function.

Basically when you study the hw6515, you'll understand why adding more right now is not the best thing.
Of course the technology will get better slowly. So will the BB RIM devices, as they incorporate tried and tested gimmicks and not just every new trick that comes in the door. For example color screens were out a year or two before the 7230 series had color. And when it finally got color in the 7280/7290 it was great. Now the 8700c has not only copied color TFTs that everyone else is doing, rather they've improved upon it by adding an ambient self adjusting light sensor. How cool is that?

I think the next cool gadget that promises to safely encapsulate all the "of the moment" tricks and toys" is the Motorola Q phone. Perhaps...it pulls it off.
Hopefully that will set new standards that the next generation BB RIM devices will surpass and improve upon.

And until then I can patiently wait and be happy with all that my 8700c does for me today.
Regards
Delmarco.
Hi everyone.

Spoke the other day with RIM and from their statements (without being specific of course), they are in the works on devices that will incorporate more of the "toy" functions and 3G applications. Basically they said that cameras, media streaming, flash memory slots and more are "in the works."

You know as well as I do that doesn't really mean that it will be available to the public anytime soon, but they did admit that they see where there is now some legitimate competition to the BlackBerry with other functions, so it's something they are seriously looking at.

Have a great one! Carpe Diem!
Old 03-20-2006, 01:47 AM   #16
drgoodtymes
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour
PIN: 30D4E281
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphr0deity
I'm in LA for the weekend and I'm TRULY surprised at the lack of GSM coverage here. In Atlanta, T-Mobile and Cingular are the leading providers and have great coverage.

Welcome to California, coverage could definitly be better here, granted the OC is covered better than LA, but none of its great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC5bVFduTRM
Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 PM   #17
stang999

Were you be able to see T-Zones icon on your unlocked 8700c? I had mine unlocked ( it was used before and I got it off the ebay ) and tried have the service book sended. I only can see Blackberry browser icon but don't see T-Zones icon. Do any one of you guy know the reason why for that?
Old 04-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #18
Jaguarandine
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: AT&T
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco
I looks like most of the reviewers gripes center around not having the "toy features" that come with teen-geared phones.
I disagree in that respect...I hope to never see the day where BB phones come with the standard 1 megapix camera feature and 50cent/Britney Spears ring tones.
I'm sorry but if you want HipHop and Pop music to play when you get a phone call then get a Razr and if you want a camera also get a Razr or a try this idea.... get an actual digital camera.

BB are not toys. And should not be looked upon with any regards that they will be better with toy features. Whiles music and low resolution cameras and games may make a phone fun, it does NOT make a phone good.

That is one of things I love about blackberry is it specialized in what it does and DOES NOT try to pretend to be something that it is not.
OT, but I thought this was funny because in his new video, 50 Cent is actually using the 8700c..haha. I think BlackBerry is the new cool phone.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:15 PM   #19
wiredwrx

Carrier: T=Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialekt
I recently purchased a Blackberry Cingular 8700c for use with T-mobile. Got it unlocked the same day. I've only owned the phone for 3 days. Do I love it ? YES it is the most rock solid piece of PDA I've owned so far. My gripes?: No Camera, No Picture Caller ID, Navigation is easy but you really gotta learn shortcuts, THE WAY IT VIBRATES AND THEN RINGS sucks! ( You can't set it to do both at the same time.. it will vibrate about 2 times and then the tone of choice will come on..but it's not that big of a gripe because I just set it to vibrate in the holster because I know its clipped to my waist/pocket anyway).
gripe #247: SMS/Email...You recieve the alerts in a tone..but I wish there were "notification pop ups"

But to be honest though. I REALLY do love this thing. No matter if it's geared towards business customers. Once this phone hits T-Mobile I think a lot of stuff will change. This phone has branched out to just be a FINE PIECE OF PHONE. I think I read somewhere about some talk about camera and more multimedia integration. I can see that coming very soon on the "next" device.

* Using the BHARTI software with the zen theme. Sometimes I really do wonder how much I would like the phone without it. I mean it just simply OWNZ! Uncluttered desktop feel.

IM

*Still wondering what people are using for Instant Messanging software. I am only on BIS not BES and using T-mobile service. I have a wide variety of choices. I guess I can start "Demoing". Causerie, Web Messager, IM+, Verichat, Yak-On, Google Talk.

STOCK PLASTIC HOLSTER

* Just realized my "in holster" functions aren't working. Anyone know what could be wrong? I set it to vibrate+tone while in holster and it doesn't work. It only does the "tone". :( .. Also can someone please tell me how to remove from the holster smoothly? I know that sounds EXTRA rookie but I've almost dropped my 8700c numerous times. I figured out a somewhat smooth method by gripping the sides of the device with one hand and two fingers (thumb and first finger closest to thumb) and then with the other hand I sorta just yang it by the clip. That method works as if the blackberry was meant to be pulled out that way, but at the same time I hit the trackwheel every now and then and it's annoying.

BEST BLUETOOTH HEADSET TO PAIR WITH 8700C

So far from reading various threads regarding this matter I've gathered that the best bluetooth headsets are:

Plantronics Discovery 640
Plantronics Voyager 510
Plantronics BT
JabraBT250v
Motorola H500
Motorola H700

But whichever headset works/fits best for the end user is what matters

This is my review :/ Along with Gripes.. Please feel free to give any feedback: good or bad

Thanks for taking the time to read
Hey, I just tried to do the same thing.

Got the 8700c Unlocaked, installed the SIM, and....No go. Can;t setup BIS, there is no icon on the main screen for it. I tried to set up BIS online, but it gives me an error. Called T-MO BB support, they tell me it can take UP TO 72 hours to be provisioned. Huh. Why. When I bought the 8700, I was up and running in minutes.

Then, to top it off, they transfered me to RIM to find out if my PIN will work with T-MO. Did you have to do that (I am still on the phone waiting for RIM support, lets see how long that takes).

Well, let me know if you experience was similar or not. 3 days to provision seems like a crock of crap, but what do I know.

Anyone have any suggestions or Ideas who to contact and what to say to get this done in under 72 hours.

Michael
Old 04-18-2006, 06:00 PM   #20
wiredwrx

Carrier: T=Mo

O.K., so I was a bit hasty.

Spoke with T-MO BB support, and they transfered me to RIM. They got it to work, and it is working flawlessly.

Now to see if the service is better then Cingular.

Michael
Closed Thread