Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Re: Please explain BIS and WiFi to me

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
We are going in circles. Let me try and make sure we are both talking about the same things.

In device options under mobile network (not manage connections), you have an option to disable data services, right? If you disable data services there, then, as I and others have said, you turn off ALL data. Voice will still work. Just no data. No data on the mobile network. No data on wifi.

In manage connections you have settings to enable/disable mobile network, enable/disable wifi, enable/disable bluetooth, and other things. If you disable mobile network and enable wifi, your data will work provided you are connecting to the wifi router, connecting to the network, and getting data throughput.

So, are you saying data services is on in options, wifi is on in manage connections, mobile network is off in manage connections, and you do not have data service?
No more circles ) I tried everything you said, every option, nothing. I am starting to feel there is something wrong with my device :( Huge thanks for your time and patience with my "newbieness" !

I can't seem to get this thing to work, 2 minutes ago I tried to setup my BIS account with PIN and IMEI throught the address my provider gave and that does not work either (tells me HTML is not supported and I should use my device, same thing on my device). I guess I am an unlucky BB user...
Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #22
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Ok, hold on, backup, because that is some new or different information.

First, BIS is the BlackBerry data services (BBM, push email, BlackBerry/RIM apps....). IF you have a BlackBerry data plan, you are using BIS whether on the mobile netork, or on wifi. The difference is the pathway. It's BIS regardless, though it may not count against your montly allowance if it is going over wifi.

So, you have BIS when you are using the mobile network and data services are enabled in mobile network options. Is that all correct?

If you have not setup your BlackBerry in BIS and received the service books, that changes the whole discussion.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-20-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Ok, hold on, backup, because that is some new or different information.

First, BIS is the BlackBerry data services (BBM, push email, BlackBerry/RIM apps....). IF you have a BlackBerry data plan, you are using BIS whether on the mobile netork, or on wifi. The difference is the pathway. It's BIS regardless, though it may not count against your montly allowance if it is going over wifi.

So, you have BIS when you are using the mobile network and data services are enabled in mobile network options. Is that all correct?

If you have not setup your BlackBerry in BIS and received the service books, that changes the whole discussion.
I have a 5MB/month BIS data plan from Vodafone. Everything is enabled in the menu, Data, 3G, etc. The provider gave me the address to BIS and said go home and register, I did it today and like I said it is not allowing me.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz View Post
... 2 minutes ago I tried to setup my BIS account with PIN and IMEI throught the address my provider gave and that does not work either (tells me HTML is not supported and I should use my device, same thing on my device). I guess I am an unlucky BB user...
So, what was this about? What do you mean you were trying to setup your BIS account? Is it configured, or not?

EDIT: I re-read your post above. So, your account includes BIS, but it is not configured with your device info, yet?

EDIT #2: Explain step by step what you were trying to do to do add your device to your BIS account.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-20-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 PM   #25
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
So, what was this about? What do you mean you were trying to setup your BIS account? Is it configured, or not?

EDIT: I re-read your post above. So, your account includes BIS, but it is not configured with your device info, yet?
I guess... like I said I am new to this. After I switched my regular plan to the BIS plan the carrier gave me this address "mobileemail.vodafone.ro" and told me to go home and register with my pin and imei. I came home and since my phone started giving me all the trouble it's been giving me I forgot to register.

Right now everything works fine on my device, FB, BBM, Browser, Appworld, Email, etc. Everything but Yahoo Msngr (which keeps on telling me my password is wrong).

Stept by step:

www.mobileemail.vodafone.ro
Create new account
PIN
IMEI (tried with "." and without between numbers)

Hit "Continue" and get the HTML error

Last edited by Razmataz; 04-20-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #26
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Friendly advice, don't go off in many directions at once. Take one problem, focus, break it down, and solve it before going to the next.

I need to confirm you have BIS service on the handset. You say BBM works. I'm going to send you a PM with my PIN number. I want you to send me a pin message. Open the message app, select Compose PIN from the menu, enter my PIN number in the To field, and send.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-20-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #27
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

So, any clues on why I can't access BIS from device or pc ? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that the device is branded ATT and I am using a Vodafone SIM ?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

OK. PM sent. Your replied with a BlackBerry Messenger message and I received. You have BIS, or at least some subset of it.

On the subset remark, I have gathered that some carriers break up the BIS and sell pieces. That's not something familiar to me. My BIS is everything. This may be something you need to follow up with later, or maybe not. Just file for later and don't worry about it now.

Go up and look at post #20 again. Forget yahoo for now. If you have data services on in options, mobile network off in manage connections, and wifi on, can you send me a BBM?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #29
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

I just did and i get the "check" sign and D letter, so I guess it's been delivered.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #30
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok. Received BBM messages with your mobile network off and wifi on. So, that is working as it should, as stated above.

In your case, with mobile network off, you can be sure no data will go over the mobile network, at least so long as mobile network is off, BUT you will have no voice service on the handset.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:44 PM   #31
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

So where do we go from here ?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #32
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I don't have a clue why you couldn't access your BIS webpage from a PC. Could be a glitch with the webpage, or something with your browser on your PC, or whatever; but that is not a BlackBerry problem.

You should be able to use the wizard on the blackberry to setup and edit email services.

I don't know what to tell you about Yahoo Messenger. Weren't we discussing that in another thread? If Yahoo messenger is supported in your country, your mobile provider is not blocking it, or something along those line, then your problem with your login credentials not being recognized is one of those mysteries. See what others say on that. If I ever read a solution, I've forgotten it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #33
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

What problem(s) remain?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #34
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

1. Why I can't create/access BIS account
2. Why YM is telling me the password is wrong (i read many have this problem)
3. Why I can't setup a Yahoo Mail account in Setup - Email Accounts (remember I sent you a PM about this)
4. Do you think any of this has something to do with my ATT device running on a Vodafone SIM, registered with them

Last edited by Razmataz; 04-20-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM   #35
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

1 - You have a BIS account. Not sure why you had the problem you describe above. But you have BIS, and your handset is registered on it.

2 - Don't know answer to your Yahoo messenger problem. See above and other thread.

3 - I wonder if your Yahoo email problem and the Yahoo Messenger problem are related? But you have added other email addresses successfully, is that right?

4 - It's finally sunk in to me that you are using a Torch. Let me look at something and I'll edit this post. I've got a blind spot on something. EDIT: I don't think so, but I can't confidently say no. Everything else works, you've been able to download and run Yahoo messenger, you just can't log in. My gut tells me it's Yahoo Messenger, and not you, but I don't know.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-20-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #36
Razmataz
Thumbs Must Hurt

I managed to setup Gmail and when I went back to Setup - Email Accounts and clicked the icon it said I had updates ready, went ahead and continued, was prompted that the email setup app (i think that's what it was called) is different that the one i have on my device and if i continue it might not work properly ...continued and the device asked to reboot, did that too and from there all i got was the white screen with a 606 error, had to reinstall everything.

EDIT: It's YM and BB together. If you Google "blackberry yahoo messenger invalid id or password" you will find lots of talk about this issue.

Last edited by Razmataz; 04-20-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Closed Thread