BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #1
clintlawson

Model: 7100T
Question MAPI config problems BES/Exchange 2003

Please Login to Remove!

I have just installed BES 4.1 on our Exchange Front End server that we only use for webmail access. Services seem to be started but when I open the Blackberry Manager it gets the following error "failed to open the default message store using the MAPI profile "blackberrymanager" PLease review the log for details. You will not be able to send messages from the Blackberry manager by email." I will use the following example for how I have configured my MAPI profile by running the "Edit MAPI profile" that is part of the BES.

Our Back End Exchange Server name is: Susan-01
Our Front End Exchange Server name is: Susan-02

Susan-02 is where I have installed the BES and this server also acts as our Outlook Webmail Access server.

mailserver-susan-01
account-besadmin

I have noticed that there is not anywhere to enter the password for this mailbox account. I have also read a few threads that speak of having MS Outlook installed on the BES server and creating the send mail profile there. I have a feeling that installing Outlook on my Frontend is not the greatest idea. Does anyone know what I need to do so that I can send mail from the Blackberry manager on this server? Any help would be awesome! THANKS!

Last edited by clintlawson; 06-12-2006 at 01:48 AM..
Old 06-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #2
markgrinceri

Model: 8700G

I had the exact same message as you when setting up my first BES install because I didn't read the install manual. I would assume that a server account wasn't created and then the correct windows and exchange permissions applied. Once this is done login the server with the server account (I called my service account besadmin) and then run the install of BES. Then specify the server account as the MAPI profile. If you haven't created the service account I'd start again, there a document on how to do a clean uninstall in the knowledge base
Old 06-12-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
clintlawson

Question MAPI config problems

Thanks for the pointers. I did howerver add the besadmin account into AD and allowed local logon and all of that before the install. Are you saying though that I need to logon to the server itself using the besadmin account? I always logon to the server as administrator.
Thanks!
Clint
Old 06-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintlawson
Thanks for the pointers. I did howerver add the besadmin account into AD and allowed local logon and all of that before the install. Are you saying though that I need to logon to the server itself using the besadmin account? I always logon to the server as administrator.
Thanks!
Clint
Clint

I'm not that familiar with separate front/back end Exchange servers, as tend to deal mainly with "single versions", however a couple of things that might help you.

1) According to the instructions you need to give BESadmin account admin rights over the local, then install the BES using this BESadmin account, as this ensures that dbase permissions (if auto-installing MSDE) are set correctly

2) You should logon as Besadmin to run Blackbery manager, although once up and running you can just use normal admin (well I can on my 4.0 box). 4.1 includes the abillity to do role based admin which would enable you to allow other staff to have basic access to the box (e.g. helpdesk staff) to view user stats but with limited abillity to start/stop services from the BB manager interface

3) Did you set the BESadmin permissions correctly in System Manager. Doens't matter if you do this pre or post install - I've got several BES's working where this was the only issue - see page 24 of the install guide (not that helpful unless you understand Exchange System manager)

4) You DONT want Outlook on the BES - that's a definate nono. But please ensure you've installed the Exchange system management tools (from Exchange CD-Rom) as otherwise it won't work.

5) in the exchange AD "User OU" you need to give the BESadmin account explicit "sendas permissions" over the user-base, as if you have a fully patched exchange server unless you do this users won't be able to send emails from the device, just receive them. http://tinyurl.com/sybsq refers.

HTH

bb
Old 06-13-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
clintlawson

Question

Thanks!... I have actually been able to generate and send an activation email to a users email and then they were able to active the device using the password it sent them. Then the user got an email in their outlook mailbox stating that it should not be deleted because it was for syncing purposes and that outlook would process it soon. However, the user gets no mail yet on their BB handheld. I see the error about the server has reached its maximum number of retries in the past 24 hours. When I looked this morning all of the BB services were using the Administrator service logon so I changed them to the besadmin account. All the services in the MMC show to be running now. The besadmin account has permissions over the Exchange org and local admin rights on each of the echange boxes. I wonder if when the services restart after 24 hours if it will work now? Do you know of any way to make it go ahead and sync up even if it has reached its maximum tries within 24 hours?

And here is the new error I am getting in the event log.... it's never ending! heheh

The description for Event ID ( 20000 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Alert ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: EventLog::DisplayEntries: Event log externally changed. Resetting connection..

Last edited by clintlawson; 06-13-2006 at 02:15 PM..
Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
bbgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

your problem is Outlook...
Old 06-13-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
rliebsch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO
Default Event Log Reset

The only time I have seen that log, is when I have purged and started a new Application log. Generally the first item in the log will be such a warning
Old 06-13-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
clintlawson

Outlook is not installed. It is an Exchange Front End server

Thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #9
clintlawson

Talking Thanks

Well, I uninstalled BES and after the uninstall I manually deleted anything I could find in the registry that had to do with BES. Then restarted and did a new clean install. This time I installed using the besadmin account I made in AD rather than being logged on as the Administrator. Things seem to work now. I sent an activation to a user. The user used the auto generated activation PIN and now the users device shows active on the BB manager. However I am getting a windows event log warning that says his device name changed or something to that effect. I suppose that is a new can of worms... Thansk for your help!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 AM   #10
sense2k
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Carrier: at&t

I have not tried a bes install yet so i am very interested in this thread.

bertiebassett (or anyione who can help), in your statement "in the exchange AD "User OU" you need to give the BESadmin account explicit "sendas permissions" over the user-base" - what do you mean "over the user base"
??

thx
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 AM   #11
sjensen76

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sense2k
I have not tried a bes install yet so i am very interested in this thread.

bertiebassett (or anyione who can help), in your statement "in the exchange AD "User OU" you need to give the BESadmin account explicit "sendas permissions" over the user-base" - what do you mean "over the user base"
??

thx
I think it means that for each user assigned to a BB, the BESadmin account must be assigned "sendas permissions" with in AD. Clear as mud?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:08 AM   #12
wusmani
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
PIN: 203A948C
Carrier: Etisalat

it means you need to have send as, receive as, administer information store over the Exchange Server (in his case backend server). The service account with the right permissions would be able to send emails to handhelds.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:14 AM   #13
telco966

HI

According to the BES installation guide you ashould have BES on its own dedicated server. It communicates to the exchange server via MAPI for this to work well you should put the BES server on the same switch as the Exchange server on the Same network.

Not sure if this is relative to your problem but I noticed that MAPI was mentioned in the error message.

Regards

Telco966
Closed Thread