BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Is 3G on the BOLD a myth?
Yes! It's a useless gimmick 7 9.86%
No! I love it and it's a huge improvement over 2G 46 64.79%
No! It's faster, but not much faster 18 25.35%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
torberry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon
Default 3G Myth

Please Login to Remove!

While traveling in the US recently I was using my BOLD on the t-mobile network, ie 2G/EDGE. I found that it loaded web pages just as fast as when on 3G on Rogers. My conclusion is that 3G is really just a myth and not noticeably faster than 2G. The difference in speed then from the Curve to the BOLD is related to the faster processor.

Also, I noticed how ridiculously better Rogers (coverage, clarity) is than t-mobile. Although we pay through the nose in Canada I really think that Rogers has a superior network.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Dorian
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers & AT&T

Sorry, cannot agree with you at all.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

3G is clearly faster. if you don't notice any difference then there is problem with network/device/app or you.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #4
torberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
3G is clearly faster. if you don't notice any difference then there is problem with network/device/app or you.
I agree that it is faster than EDGE. I don't agree that it is much faster than EDGE. I think my point is that the big difference is the actual device, not the 3G network. I'm in Toronto, Rogers HQ, so I would assume that the coverage here is pretty strong.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: at&t

So you are making this assertion based on the performance of a single device, and a device that is having rapid fire firmware revisions? I hope no one takes this thread too seriously.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
torberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
So you are making this assertion based on the performance of a single device, and a device that is having rapid fire firmware revisions? I hope no one takes this thread too seriously.
It appears that you are in the US and therefore not in a position to offer an opinion. I have used my BOLD on both the Rogers 3G network and the t-mobile 2G network. It is my conclusion, based on my 1 device, that the 3G network is not significantly faster for web browsing. Whereas, when connected to a Wifi network, the device is much faster.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
akc786

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink

Quote:
Originally Posted by torberry View Post
It appears that you are in the US and therefore not in a position to offer an opinion. I have used my BOLD on both the Rogers 3G network and the t-mobile 2G network. It is my conclusion, based on my 1 device, that the 3G network is not significantly faster for web browsing. Whereas, when connected to a Wifi network, the device is much faster.
I agree with you.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #8
adamatwlu

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I agree with "torberry". I was in the states recently and I found that the 3G was not any faster then EDGE. I also found that the 3G network in the states on AT&T kept dropping calls whereas I never had that issue to date on Rogers in Canada. Not sure what would be causing the dropped calls in the US vs. Canada.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:24 PM   #9
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
You are right, us folks here in the states have no way to know what this 3G thing is all about. Especially since there are no other 3G devices available... oh wait, there is? Oh, maybe that is where my opinion is coming from... or maybe from the dozens of people that I know in Canada that own a Bold.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Like I have said before my Bold on 3G is faster, not a little but alot! If you is not then you got crap for reception.

The speed of 3G is not a myth when what used to take 15-20 seconds on EDGE to load up does it in 5-6 second on 3G.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:40 PM   #11
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
It appears that you are in the US and therefore not in a position to offer an opinion.
Wow... I don't know what to say except just... wow.

No, wait... I do know what to say. It's not every day that I get to see such a fine example of short-sighted, unintelligent commenting. Just as you have assumed that those of us in the United States couldn't possibly travel outside of the United States or have any experience with products and services outside of the United States, I will assume that you are not terribly smart and therefore overcompensate for your lack of intelligence as evidenced by your post.

Fair?

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:45 PM   #12
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

yeah ifonline I saw that as well. perhaps he was just being overly defensive.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

I do appreciate the 3G is not that fast point of view from people that had inflated expectations... like edge to 3G is the same proportionate speed increase as Dialup to Internet2. Sure there is going to be some disappointment. To say that 3G is a myth based on a single device... well there isn't much to say about that.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #14
crazylegs

Model: 9550

I have to agree with this post. My Bold (unlocked Rogers on ATT in DC) isn't much faster than on 3G vs EDGE. It is definitely faster, but not by enough to want to put up with 1 day battery and constant dropping of 3G into EDGE and back. I have to say that the Bold is the best EDGE device I have ever used because of the processor. I have been keeping it in 2G mode and I get almost 3 days usage. I browse the internet using both opera mini and blackberry browser and the speeds are pretty good. I can't wait until AT&T sorts out their 3G issues.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
torberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Wow... I don't know what to say except just... wow.

No, wait... I do know what to say. It's not every day that I get to see such a fine example of short-sighted, unintelligent commenting. Just as you have assumed that those of us in the United States couldn't possibly travel outside of the United States or have any experience with products and services outside of the United States, I will assume that you are not terribly smart and therefore overcompensate for your lack of intelligence as evidenced by your post.

Fair?
ifonline,

Take it easy friend! Nothing personal to you or others! AFAIK the BOLD is not out in the US and therefore specific comparison of the BOLD on 3G v 2G are cannot be made.

Remove your ego please. I have no use for mine here. I am merely informing and seeking info and opinion. If you don't agree then there is no harm is saying so. Insults are not necessary or appreciated.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
AFAIK the BOLD is not out in the US and therefore specific comparison of the BOLD on 3G v 2G are cannot be made.
What are you talking about? The phone can be unlocked and placed on the AT&T network (paging Greg), and a comparison can be formed quite easily.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:54 PM   #17
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamatwlu View Post
I agree with "torberry". I was in the states recently and I found that the 3G was not any faster then EDGE. I also found that the 3G network in the states on AT&T kept dropping calls whereas I never had that issue to date on Rogers in Canada. Not sure what would be causing the dropped calls in the US vs. Canada.
The cause is the fact that most of the 3G network in Canada(Rogers) is on 850MHz, whereas most of the US is on 1900MHz. However, the areas in the US that utilize the 850MHz frequency, 3G service is very fast and of the best quality. There is a big difference in 3G and EDGE, regardless of location. Also note that speeds people in North America are experiencing is just a portion of what 3G technology actually has to offer.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
torberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
What are you talking about? The phone can be unlocked and placed on the AT&T network (paging Greg), and a comparison can be formed quite easily.
Ok, but isn't it possible that AT&T hasn't fully maximized their 3G network for the BOLD yet given that it's not released there officially?

Whatever the case, my point was just that 2G/EDGE seems fairly similar to 3G in my experience for web browsing.

One thing that I've noticed that speeds up the browser a lot though is to change the Firefox in the 'browser id'. Better than Opera in my opinion because it feels more stable.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
JG in SB

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
yeah ifonline I saw that as well. perhaps he was just being overly defensive.
Or maybe he is a French Canadian, with the major emphasis on "French" (they have a thing for us here in the USA)
Old 09-08-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Horizon Wireless
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 9920
PIN: 3218B513
Carrier: ROGERS AND FIDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB View Post
Or maybe he is a French Canadian, with the major emphasis on "French" (they have a thing for us here in the USA)

je taime tout mes amis american!
Closed Thread